PDA

View Full Version : The Riders - EWQLSO Silver

wayne_rowley
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi there,

This is my second composition with EWQLSO Silver Edition:

The Riders (http://bootlebug.booty.org.uk/riders.mp3)

I have been tweaking it for a while but I think it is time to put the 'pen' down and get some feedback. Please let me know what you think!

Many thanks,
Wayne

matthew82475
05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, I suppose I'll go first.

I like it. The orchestration works well together, and your melodic ideas fit the nature of the instruments well. I especially liked the beginning which stated your materials and then moved into a development section. Unfortunately, after the middle part, the theme came back again but it sounded a lot like a literal repeat. Try mixing it up a bit. Make the recapitualtion like the beginning but not exactly the same. Also, it doesn't seem to move toward the end. As the recording was nearing the end I was waiting for something to give me a sense that the piece was wrapping up. Right now, it sort of sounds like you ran out of ideas and just ended.

Lastly, the piece is very mezzo; meaning it's not very loud nor soft. Definately add some dynamic constrast. Dynamics can be especially helpful in moving a piece forward (i.e. building toward something, or tapering from something).

All in all, it's good. Lots of potential.

Matt

wayne_rowley
05-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Many thanks for the feedback Matt. I will take what you suggest on board. The third section (repeat) could do with some variation (alongside the key change) - maybe dropping some of the strings and brass and bringing in the woodwinds, or maybe with some additional percussion.

Thanks,
Wayne