PDA

View Full Version : Simple Pretty Piece-Working on Sequencing

Evan
05-09-2005, 01:44 PM
This is a short pretty piece i just finished composing, and while doing it I really tried hard to fine tune my sequencing, cause it seems to be a problem with me. So im hoping for flaws to be pointed out so I can improve on my sequencing more. Thanks ahead of time!

www.evangamble.com/music/Pretty.mp3

ToddK
05-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Thats probably my favorite thing i've heard from you Evan.

Very very good. There's a short section where the rhythm on particular
instruments is rushed a bit. It starts to happen when you bring in that
percusion part. Its possible that its just the percusion is late/off.

I'm curious, do you use a controller, the piano roll editor, or both?

I gather one of two things is happening, either you're a little off when
playing certain parts on the controller, and not noticing, Or , you're purposely
leaving certain things a bit Off to give a more human/imperfect performance.

Wichever the case may be, i'd say tighten it up a bit. Its ok to be
a hair off one certain parts, but that particular part im speaking of,
you'd want to keep 1 or 2 instruments quantized. When that percusion comes
in, you want to have enough quantized notes to give a solid pulse.

You're doing remarkably well with this stuff Evan. Its hard to believe you're so young.
You have so much time!!! If you stick with this, you're gonna be a Monster! :eek: :cool: :D

Toddk

Evan
05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah i hear it when the congas come in... its the descending quarter notes in the cellos....I guess a rythem as simple as quarter notes needs to be perfectly in place. Makes it feel like a retarded conductor. I'll fix that phrase and report back. Thanks alot for the help! :)

Oh and by controller you mean a keyboard controller right? Cause i do use a 61 key unweighted keyboard.

matthew82475
05-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Evan,

Very nice orchestration. I can't wait to hear more. This piece has a lot of potential. I'd love to hear you take the stuff you've developed so far and really go with it. Honestly, the rythimc thing didn't bother me as much and I probably wouldn't have noticed it had Todd not mentioned it. But I think he's right. It might help to tighten things up a bit.

My feedback would be: when you make your first instrumentation change, maybe go a little farther. It sounds very similar to the opening. Also, you've got some great ideas which I think would be greatly enhanced by more dynamics. Build you crescendos bigger and taper off to softer sounds. It would give it more dramatic flow.

A Fellow Floridian,

Matt

Evan
05-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Hey a fellow Floridian!

AS far as dynamics, that seems like something I'll tackle as I further develope the piece (which is going to be hard cause it resolves alot) And for orchestration I consider the whole thing to be an intro to something...don't know what..lol. Great suggestion, though thanks alot!

I tried to fix that tempo, and fixed a dynamic where a t-bone stuck out. Sound any better?

neoTypic
05-09-2005, 06:01 PM
As usual, I'm impressed by what people can do with this thang. ;)

Evan
05-10-2005, 11:19 PM
thanks everyone..i will update later when I've finished this :)