PDA

View Full Version : Educational Discount Questions

thorne
05-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my question doesn't qualify as a technical issue or a hint...

I'm a full-time student and I would like to purchase the EWQLSO library under the educational discount. Here are the questions:

1) Is it possible to upgrade an edition even if it was bought with the educational discount? For instance, can I get education silver for $150, then upgrade to education gold for $350?

2) Will the pro edition upgrades be available with an educational discount when they are released?

3) I noticed the disclaimer that anything made with an educational license cannot be released commercially. What is the definition of "commercial" in this situation? Let's suppose I were to make an album in my home studio that was mostly rock oriented stuff, but had a bit of orchestration on a few songs and sell it independently. We're talking about total sales in the area of maybe 10-20 cds total. Is this a violation of the educational license, or does it mainly apply to large productions with publishing agreements and all of that?

Once again, sorry if this wasn't the right place to ask.

neoTypic
05-09-2005, 05:49 PM
3) I noticed the disclaimer that anything made with an educational license cannot be released commercially. What is the definition of "commercial" in this situation? Let's suppose I were to make an album in my home studio that was mostly rock oriented stuff, but had a bit of orchestration on a few songs and sell it independently. We're talking about total sales in the area of maybe 10-20 cds total. Is this a violation of the educational license, or does it mainly apply to large productions with publishing agreements and all of that?

Yup, that would be. ;)

With any program, you aren't allowed to make money with an educational version.

Evan
05-09-2005, 05:54 PM
you can get gold for $500 and silver for $200 right now anyways

Doug Rogers
05-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but my question doesn't qualify as a technical issue or a hint...

I'm a full-time student and I would like to purchase the EWQLSO library under the educational discount. Here are the questions:

1) Is it possible to upgrade an edition even if it was bought with the educational discount? For instance, can I get education silver for $150, then upgrade to education gold for $350?

2) Will the pro edition upgrades be available with an educational discount when they are released?

Once again, sorry if this wasn't the right place to ask.

Thorne,

Our educational discount program information is here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/educational.shtml

If you need more specific information I suggest you send mail to stefan@eastwestsounds.com who runs the program.

- Doug

fal
05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
If I were to buy Kontakt 2 with an educational discount, could I sell a sample CD for Kontakt 2?

thorne
05-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Ah, I see that part about commercial use. I missed it before, as I thought it was just more information about the church discount.

Sorry about that, apparently that page had everything I needed to know.

neoTypic
05-10-2005, 02:01 AM
If I were to buy Kontakt 2 with an educational discount, could I sell a sample CD for Kontakt 2?

Umn, no. You're profiting off the use of an educational license. It'd be the same as selling music using an educational license of EWQLSO.

You use a tool, you make money off of it which is forboden. ;)

dubaifox
05-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Umn, no. You're profiting off the use of an educational license. It'd be the same as selling music using an educational license of EWQLSO.

I don't think this is quite right.

You are not allowed to sell sample CD's period!!

When you pay for a product, you are technically not paying for the physical CD or Printed Matter per se. You are paying for the rights for one user (yourself) to use the samples.

Re-selling them is a violation of copyright laws.

fal
05-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I mean creating MY own sample library.
Using my own samples.