PDA

View Full Version : Raptor for my new PC?

bmiranda
05-10-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm going to buy a 2nd PC to run EWQLSC and EQLSO Gold (already have a PC running Silver and Gold).
I'm undecided between buying a 120gb SATA HDD plus a 74Gb Raptor (where i would place EWQLSC and Gold libraries) or just buying a 160gb HDD (7200 rpm).
Is the Raptor performance so noticeable that justifies the price difference or would i be well served with a 7200 SATA HDD?

PS: I'm running Gold and Silver in a P4 3.0Ghz, 74Gb 7200 rpm SATA HDD, with 2 Gb of RAM and till now i didn't experienced any kind of performance problems. But as EWQLSC is 24bits i don't know if SATA HDD will be enough

Regards,
Bruno

Lee Blaske
05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm going to buy a 2nd PC to run EWQLSC and EQLSO Gold (already have a PC running Silver and Gold).
I'm undecided between buying a 120gb SATA HDD plus a 74Gb Raptor (where i would place EWQLSC and Gold libraries) or just buying a 160gb HDD (7200 rpm).
Is the Raptor performance so noticeable that justifies the price difference or would i be well served with a 7200 SATA HDD?

Consider that your 74 GB Raptor, when formatted will be less than 74 GB. Then consider that it's not smart to completely fill up a drive (I've heard that keeping a drive no more than 2/3 full is a good idea for best performance). When all is said and done, you don't have much capacity, especially considering how much space libraries take up.

I think the Seagate 7200.8 series (comes in several sizes) is the best ticket right now, especially if your MOBO supports NCQ. On top of everything else, the 7200.8's are really quiet.

Lee Blaske