PDA

View Full Version : Candy demos up!!!

Ben H
05-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Just in case you misssed it in the other Candy thread... the Candy demos are up!!!

:D

Ben H

Journeyman
05-11-2005, 06:22 AM
Hmmm...... It sounds synthy... less than authentic. :(

Nayi
05-11-2005, 07:48 AM
yeah... :(

I guess liquid sax is still the best option right now.

Journeyman
05-11-2005, 08:00 AM
LS doesn't work for me either, as I can't just play in any idea that comes to me. I'd have to build it up from the pre-existing licks and phrases, which isn't my idea of composition. That's why I was hoping Candy would be great, but alas..... :(

jack
05-12-2005, 01:09 AM
i've been waiting for this product since last july when it was supposed to be released, at this moment i would say the demos are inconclusive to me they just dont show me what the saxaphones can do. i can hear how great culture sounds on these demos but i didnt want to hear that..... come on yellow tools just post some demos of the saxe's dont hide them behind culture and majestic. Solo sounds would be nice or even just some simple phrases with a few saxes playing would be better. This is because if i were to buy this product i would be using it in a soul/funk style kinda like tower of power or james brown this what i kinda wanted some demos to sound like if thats possible.

yellow tools
05-12-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi,
I also posted this in Northern Sounds, but I think it is also important in this thread:
Generally you can't compare Candy with LS - this is something completely different! LS contains live played phrases, Candy offers multi sampled instruments. Sure a live played phrase sounds always great, the same with a live sax player in your recording studio, but it also has it limitations. So with LS you can use what they offer, "draw" and customize the phrases, with Candy you can play the sax at will. As this general concept of these products is completely different it always counts on what you want to do...
Both instruments have their advantages and disadvantages, but isn't is cool for all users to have both options?
You can compare this situation with graphic artists: Some use cliparts for their illustrations (customize them or not) and others do everything on their own - not one is better or worth.
Compare Candy with other multi sampled sax libraries on the market and you'll recognize that if you want to perform a sax with the keyboard, Candy offers by far the most authentic and realistic results.

Nevertheless these three demos are just the start. There are many Candys in the hands of our beta testers who will also do audio demos. As we do not want to let you hear anything else as the final release version of Candy, we and also our beta testers could first start with the demos when Candy was released. The current demos were produced to show you how Candy sounds "in-the-mix" and of course more demos will follow.
Best

Christian

Ray Lindsley
05-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Christian,
Glad to hear that more demos are coming as I don't think the current ones really show what Candy may be capable of, the saxes seem like an afterthought and not the instrument of focus. I own Culture and eBasses, so I know what you guys can do (love those products!) Liquid Sax doesn't work for my way of working, but I am very interested in Candy. Please include some real jazz stuff in the demos.
Thanks

Journeyman
05-12-2005, 06:31 AM
Christian,

Thank you for being accessable through this forum! I did not see your post at NS, but will keep an eye out for it. Even now, as I look in the Sample Libraries section at NS, I see nothing from you there. Where did you post?

I don't think that anyone is disputing what you say, and I'm fully aware of the differences between LS and Candy. As good as LS sounds, I'll never use it, as I need to be able to perform my sax parts from my keyboard, and not just string together a bunch of pre-recorded phrases and edit the notes to my liking. That to me, is not a creative, workflow enhancing way to work. So the LS folks will never get my money. Now on to Candy:

I realize that Candy's samples go far beyond what any Rompler could posibly offer, and I applaud you for that. However, in the three demos that you currently have posted, to me it's very obvious that there's no way that these sax performances could ever fool anyone into thinking that they could be real saxes. And from where I sit, as long as it's that obvious to me that it's not a real sax playing, then there's no point in doing it.

Now before some of you say, "well if you're going to be that much if a perfectionist about it, then hire a real sax player":

I can fool most people with sampled acoustic piano, bass, drums, rhodes, percussion,clarinet, flute, strings, etc. Without listening under a microscope, people are not generally going to be able to tell the difference, if done properly. But thus far, Candy isn't reaching that standard. It's not fooling the listener into even considering the possibility that what they're hearing is a real sax, and that's the standard I'm going to hold it to.

I realize that LS has more realism right out of the box, but I just can't work that way, without being able to compose my own parts, regardless of the included loop library. But Candy seems like it's the opposite end of the spectrum; I can play anythng I want, but I just don't hear the realism.

But I have an open mind, and I'm going to keep an eye out for your next demos....

kptainfilou
05-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Very, very, very disappointing demos :( :( :(

Come on guys, you can do better than that !!!

Show us that Candy stands for Candy Dulfer, and is the ultimate Sax sound module !!! ;)

Journeyman
05-12-2005, 10:34 AM
ROTFMAO! Good one!

Lee Blaske
05-12-2005, 10:53 AM
I can fool most people with sampled acoustic piano, bass, drums, rhodes, percussion,clarinet, flute, strings, etc. Without listening under a microscope, people are not generally going to be able to tell the difference, if done properly. But thus far, Candy isn't reaching that standard. It's not fooling the listener into even considering the possibility that what they're hearing is a real sax, and that's the standard I'm going to hold it to.

Well, the only consolation here is that no other sample library manufacturer has a product that comes close, either. Sax is going to be a difficult instrument to sample properly. There are just way too many permutations of tone and character.

I thought the second demo wasn't half bad, but to be honest, if I was doing a piece of music like that, I'd definitely put a real player on the final.

There are a lot of good saxophone players out there. In the city I'm in, there seems to be a seemingly inexhaustible supply. It's good to try to find some work for them. If and when we get to the point that anything and everything can be realized perfectly with samples, it's going to be a bad day for music. We'll all just be sitting in our little ivory towers, and there'll be no excitement, no collaborative efforts, no socializing. I didn't get into this biz to become a hermit.

Lee Blaske

yellow tools
05-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Lee, I totally agree with your opinion, but this has never been/is our goal!
We do not develop our instruments to substitue the live musician. ANY sound developer who thinks he could do this is totally wrong. We want to offer creative and easy to use tools that allow immediate access and intuitive playability; in short: play your ideas, record, edit and save them - even if you do not have a saxophone player right beside you. Sure we always want to get as close to the live instrument as possible - and one step ahead ;-) - but finally a live musician is always the better choice - if you have access to one. If any user out there thinks he can replace a live musician with a sampled instrument he of course expects something definitely impossible.
But: if you take a look on what is possible today even for all the musicians who do not have access to a high-end recording studio, pro musicians, etc., it is really amazing. All you need is a computer, speakers and a keyboard to start - sure, a good idea always depends on the musician, there is still no tool for this part of a song ;-)
Best

Christian

Toxikator
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Where? I don't see any demos on the product Page...

Ben H
05-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Where? I don't see any demos on the product Page...

It's on the yellowtools site, not the soundsonline site!

http://www.yellowtools.com/cp21/cms/index.php?id=362

Ben H

rJames
05-12-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't like the demos but the saxes sound pretty good. What's that last one? "Candy on LSD?"

Toxikator
05-13-2005, 11:59 AM
The last one is crap, IMO, it doesn't show candy off. The first one is really the best one.. candy has some realistic growls and the like. I still don't think it can compete with VSLHorizon saxes, but then again it's likely the demos shortchanged it.

Miguelo Adorno
05-13-2005, 12:39 PM
I think the saxes were very nice especially in sectional use (the first demo). But what really impressed me was the bruhs kits. Never actually heard these samples before. Are these drums included in the Pure Drums sample library?

- Mikko

yellow tools
05-14-2005, 05:32 AM
Hi Mikko,
the brush kits in demo 1 are a combiantion of pure drums and a licensing project we can't talk about - sorry.
There are more Candy demos that get produced actually and I hope to upload them very soon.
Best

Christian