PDA

View Full Version : Orchestral Emulation not possible in Pro Tools?!

dubaifox
05-10-2005, 09:52 PM
My name is Paul. I am a Pro Tools LE user.

Over the past year I have been getting into some work that requires use of some of the excellent orchestral emulation programs. I am wanting to take it to the next level but not sure where to turn. I need to make a move in about a month on a system that will give me more power.

1.Giga not available for Mac. We all know that.

2. I bought GPO, loved it, but quickly found out that is does not work the way it should in LE. You only get about 30% or 40% of the tracks you would get if you are using DP, Logic, Sonar or Nuendo. Rumors of updates swirl but I have ben waiting for over a year so I am not holding my breath anymore.

3.There is a well documented problem with Native Instruments plugs with Pro Tools. A few weeks ago there was a post from Doug, that the new Kompakt interface shipping with RA and Collosuss is now Pro Tools friendly, and that it will be available for all other EWQL programs. On this news I bought the Platinum Strings library, with the intent of buying a second G5 Mac to connect to my Dual 1.25 to make a decent set-up to drive Platinum.

I am worried that I have not heard any mention of this “update” anywhere and I can’t seem to find anyone who has RA or Collossus to verify or deny that this new update will finally allow us to use EWQL programs in Pro Tools LE.

Should I just cut bait and buy two PC’s and Sonar to run Platinum?

I have read enough posts to know that adding a PC to my MAC will create many headaches and complications. I want any easy, stramlined hastle free set-up that works.

Any advice?

Evan
05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I know if I had a mac I would get Digital Performer as my main sequencer, but sorry im no help with your other questions.

dubaifox
05-10-2005, 10:33 PM
I know if I had a mac I would get Digital Performer as my main sequencer, but sorry im no help with your other questions.

Been there done that. DP 4.52 crashed my sytem every five minutes. Spent two weeks trying to solve it on forums and tech support to no avail. Finally gave up on it.

synergy543
05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Well I can assure you there are hundreds of successful MOTU users you can contact and discuss with on the MOTU-Mac yahoo list. Many EWQLSO Mac users also seem to be using Logic successfully too.

I can see that if you've invested in TDM plugins you might be married "for better or worse" to Protools however, there may be a way to run these under DP but I'm not sure. You'd have to ask on the MOTU-Mac list. Otherwise, I can't think of an advantage to using ProTools for multitrack and MIDI work.

Care to enlighten me?

P.S. One hint - If your having severe problems, it really makes sense to start with a clean hard drive or new partition and a fresh system and only the program you're having trouble with. it really speeds up trouble-shooting.

dubaifox
05-11-2005, 12:09 AM
I can't think of an advantage to using ProTools for multitrack and MIDI work.

I am not asking for an advantage in PT, I just want it to work as well as it does on all other platforms. Part of my frustration is that a carrot seems to be dangled in front of me from developers saying "It is coming, hold on. It will work in the next update" but I have been waiting for over a year and still no resolution.

This is not a problem with my system. It is a problem that NI has acknowledged as being a universal problem in Pro Tools.

Sorry if my comment about DP offended you. But seriously I spent two solid weeks troubleshooting: forums, tech support and endless surfing and couldn't get DP to work without crashing. Hard to work that way.

synergy543
05-11-2005, 12:54 AM
I am not asking for an advantage in PT
Sorry, I was just asking for my own knowledge.

Sorry if my comment about DP offended you. But seriously I spent two solid weeks troubleshooting: forums, tech support and endless surfing and couldn't get DP to work without crashing. Hard to work that way.
I was not offended....Envious if anything. I want a $30,000 ProTools system too because its so cool.:cool: But I'm not exactly sure why I would need it.... other than for the plugins. I can do everything i want....thus my question about PT advantages.

Daryl
05-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Should I just cut bait and buy two PC’s and Sonar to run Platinum?

I have read enough posts to know that adding a PC to my MAC will create many headaches and complications. I want any easy, stramlined hastle free set-up that works.

Any advice?

Unfortunately PT is the worst possible option for MIDI (IMO). I used to use it before I realised that there were better programs for MIDI that would also be better for audio. My advice would be that if you are commited to PT then you should buy another computer to run the samples from.

Daryl

dubaifox
05-11-2005, 02:39 AM
Unfortunately PT is the worst possible option for MIDI (IMO). I used to use it before I realised that there were better programs for MIDI....l

Have you checked out 6.7? It is really great! I used DP back when Pro Tools was horrible with Midi, but have recently compared the latest DP with the latest Pro Tools, they are much more comparable. In some ways PT is more streamlined and elegant but DP is definitely a deeper program.

Audio is still no comparison. Pro Tools is WAY better.

Haggis
05-11-2005, 02:46 AM
I have to agree with you about audio, pro tools is WAY ahead (IMO too), I haven't touched cubase SX2 since 6.7 and I could never cope with the sound of audio in sx 2, but I've been told its improved in sx3.

synergy543
05-11-2005, 02:52 AM
Audio is still no comparison. Pro Tools is WAY better.That's SO retro-analog dude! The files are 24-bit digital. Same....binary...ditto.

Mine never even hit a converter other than for monitoring. Mixdown straight to digital.

If your not convinced, invert phase, mix and listen for artifacts.

Besides, my Apogee is better than your ProTools :D But who gives a damn! Gotta read MIX - "Who Cares About Quality".

dubaifox
05-11-2005, 03:15 AM
That's SO retro-analog dude! The files are 24-bit digital.

Not at all talking about audio quality, only ease of use, interface and elegance. Don't know many people who would say DP is better than PT in Audio features, though some might.

Is my Grace 201>Avalon 2044>Rossetta better than what you have?
:D (I don't use the 002r converters either ;) )

dubaifox
05-11-2005, 03:22 AM
This topic is spiraling "Off Topic" amd I am partly to blame.

I am quite urgently looking for info and input on my original post.

Can we take it back without getting into a debate over which DAW sounds better or is easier to use.

Thanks

bloombaber
05-11-2005, 10:47 AM
That's SO retro-analog dude! The files are 24-bit digital. Same....binary...ditto.

I think the point was that Pro Tools is better for WORKING WITH Audio...you know, easy...things where they should be.

Pro Tools is my livelihood (I'm a music editor) and composition is my hobby (which sometimes results in spare change). I recently scored some commericals, and while I have Logic Express and DP, I was not well-versed in either to the point where I was able to write without thinking about the software. (I used to use Studio Vision and, well, I just haven't written much since I went OSX.) So I did it in Pro Tools LE. The interface, at this point, is second nature. It didn't have to be ultratweaked to perfection; I just needed top get the notes down for an orchestra.

As I look ahead to summer creative fun, I'm thinking I'd do my pop project (which will be mostly audio, with some MIDI sprinkled in) in Pro Tools, and my orchestral experiment (which will be mostly MIDI, with a soloist or two recorded over) in DP.

It all comes down to what you're comfortable with. Though right now audio in DP is completely foreign to me, a lot of composers here in LA swear by it. In the end, yes, the sound is essentially the same; what's important is finding a tool to help you be creative.

dubaifox
05-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I'd Love to get back to my original question................... :rolleyes:

Scott
05-11-2005, 12:04 PM
I'd Love to get back to my original question................... :rolleyes:

Hey Paul, I'm in the same boat as you are and have been led by the same posts that you mention. I was recently beta testing the new RTAS version of the GPO Kontakt instrument, until NI told me it was for 6.7 and up (I'm on a Mix system, so 6.4.1 is the highest PT version I can use). NI claims that they can get 90 voices on a G5 dual 1.8 and Digidedign says they're getting 45 voices from a G4 dual 1 gig. Why don't you try to contact Gary to see if you can still get in on the beta, since you have 6.7+?? The beta team was almost non existent, so I think they would appreciate your participation. The new GPO Kontakt player had DFD, for what it's worth. I'll be upgrading to PT HD soon and would really like a definitive spec from NI, Digi or E/W. Supposedly RA and other new E/W titles have the new upgraded NI players, but the post from Doug (I think) about redoing it for Tiger didn't make too much sense because there must be someone using it with a pre Tiger OS. I think that the stick that's holding the carrot in front of us is getting shorter, but it's time to have taste.

bloombaber, I could've written your post; it pretty much describes me. PM me if you don't mind revealing your identity.

Scott