PDA

View Full Version : Orchestral Rock Demo

ChrisE
05-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi, thought I'd post a demo that a friend and I have 'finished'. Its mostly Gold with some rock sounds, and the piano is The Grand. The piece still has no name, but it's in the fashion of the Mechwarrior game soundtrack. Its the first time we have tried to compose a piece in this style.

Like to hear some feedback :) and welcome criticism.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/edmamusic.htm

liquidcrow
05-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Awsome work :) Would it be possible to ask for the .wav version with all its glory?

ChrisE
05-11-2005, 03:54 PM
yes the mp3 is low quality :( if someone knows a site where i could host wav's or higher quality mp3's then i would give a higher quality link

Dogforester
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I like the tune, sounds a bit like terminator at the start :)
Don't really feel i'm qualified enough to give criticism. Once again nice work. :D

MKS
05-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Chris,

I sent you a PM that may be of some interest to you.

Later

jack
05-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Excellent work, its great to hear gold used in this style my only critsism is the drums sound really muffled other than that great.

neoTypic
05-12-2005, 05:59 AM
Won't let me listen. :(

BrianSzep
05-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Chris,

Nice tune. What I noticed is that the drums are highly compressed. Is that what you were going for? With the orchestra not compressed hard it sounds distracting to me anyway. I hope you get what I mean. I am thinking that if you eased up on the compression you might get a more cohesive sound.

A suggestion for getting a really big drums: duplicate you drums tracks. Compress the snot out of them and add lots of EQ boost in the hi bands and low bands. Then mix them with the uncompress drum tracks to taste. This technique is standard NY style mixing.

-Brian

ChrisE
05-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Chris,

Nice tune. What I noticed is that the drums are highly compressed. Is that what you were going for? With the orchestra not compressed hard is sounds distracting to me anyway. I hope you get what I mean. I am thinking that if you eased up on the compression you might get a more cohesive sound.

A suggestion for getting a really big drums: duplicate you drums tracks. Compress the snot out of them and add lots of EQ boost in the hi bands and low bands. Then mix them with the uncompress drum tracks to taste. This technique is standard NY style mixing.

-Brian

Thanks for the information. This is the first time we have used drums in a composition and it isnít how we intended it to be. We've never compressed anything before so neither of us have experience. Is it normal practice to compress the orchestra more so than the drums? We just used compressed the whole mix with the Fairchild plugin thinking it would do the job. Obviously we need to read up about how compressing works, and how to use it effectively.

I have the day off tomorrow so Iíll link an updated version with better drums :)

Thanks for the feedback, its good to hear people are enjoying it

BrianSzep
05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the information. This is the first time we have used drums in a composition and it isnít how we intended it to be. We've never compressed anything before so neither of us have experience. Is it normal practice to compress the orchestra more so than the drums? We just used compressed the whole mix with the Fairchild plugin thinking it would do the job. Obviously we need to read up about how compressing works, and how to use it effectively.

I have the day off tomorrow so Iíll link an updated version with better drums :)

Thanks for the feedback, its good to hear people are enjoying it

Hi,

I would not compress the orchestra. I have not heard of anyone doing that.

What I think you were trying to do and I may be wrong, when you come to the drum parts you are looking for a slamming in your face kinda sound. If you try what I suggested I think it will work better for the piece.

Hope this helps,

Brian

PS Compressing might be used durning the mastering process.

ChrisE
05-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks again, I only mentioned the orchestra being compressed because you mentioned it on your first post

With the orchestra not compressed hard is sounds distracting to me anyway

That slamming drums sound is exactly what i'm going for and will try and get a better sounding track for tomorrow

Thanks again for your feedback,

Chris

BrianSzep
05-12-2005, 01:26 PM
That slamming drums sound is exactly what i'm going for and will try and get a better sounding track for tomorrow

Thanks again for your feedback,

Chris
Your welcome! :)

-Brian