PDA

View Full Version : Kind of off topic.. Pitch bend

Toxikator
05-11-2005, 05:47 PM
It seems that for a lot of the EW/QL sample libraries, the Pitch bend wheel and Mod wheel are pre-programmed to control most of the expressive effects. Alas, my keyboard controller is not a controller, but one of those cheap digital keyboards that yamaha sells, you know the kind. Anyway, the point is I hafve no Pitchbend or mod wheel. does anyone know of a product that's just, for lack of a better way of putting it, a detached PB/Mod wheel thing? Like just the two knobs on a little piece of plastic or metal? I feel like I need these to get the most out of the libraries but I don't feel like shelling out the money for a new controller keyboard.

ToddK
05-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Hmmm, i think a great idea would be, buy an Expression pedal.

An expression pedal would not only send expression CC, but any CC you
assign it to send. Modulation, Pitch bend, you name it. But i think
the CC assingnment is made on the computer end, not on the actuall pedal.
I believe you can tell your sequencer to transform the pedals Expression
CC# to any other CC# you might want.

These pedals are easy to find, and you control it with you foot, wich leaves
your hands free to play. :cool:

And they're cheap too. "relatively".:) 40 bucks U.S. maybe. :)

TK

deathadder79
05-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Just to clarify, you can simply plug an expression pedal into the back of your computer (through a midi port, I assume)? I thought they were like sustain pedals which have to be plugged into the back of the actual keyboard (in a "sustain" or "hold" pedal slot).

scarr
05-12-2005, 08:52 AM
That's my experience with expression pedals. Does anybody make "standalone" expression pedals? If they don't, they should. That kind of think would be useful for parameters you don't have knobs for (and would prefer to use your feet to control). Failing that, you could get a MIDI controller with a bunch of assignable sliders and play barefoot. :D

Toxikator
05-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I have an expression pedal. It doesn't work for two reasons: One, and this is the big one, it doesn't snap back to the zero mark when you let go of it. And two, hand control is much more responsive than expression pedal control (which is foot control and has less sensitivity).