PDA

View Full Version : Midi Files and DEMOS..once upon a time...

retroz
05-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Once upon a time there where midi files posted that users had created with Silver, GOLD and Platinum.

Since you have your own site now (still unclear as to what happened at northern (anyway)), why not have a MIDI file section.

Composing is an art form, creating a mock up of this "art" is a techincal challange that I think we can all benifit from (midi files), especially since what should be one "staff" of music can sometimes be 4-5 midi banks/tracks/samples.

What does everyone else think? :)

loogoo
05-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Many people shy away from posting MIDI files, and for good reason. By doing this you are virtually giving away your "original manuscript" for anyone and everyone to possibly duplicate and claim as their own work. This may not be your intent, but for every honest, hard-working musician out there you will find people who would be more than willing to take credit for your work.

I'm not saying that information should not be shared - it just needs to be under more controlled situations than posting to a public forum.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Dave Bourke
05-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Appreciated and understood.

But what about a "Tutorials & Teaching MIDI Files Section"? Not for finished works, but for examples of various techniques/uses of articulations/orchestration "dos and don'ts", tips and tricks etc. Newcomers to symphonic composition (like me) might find such a resource invaluable in getting to know how to use these amazing tools properly.

loogoo
05-12-2005, 12:41 PM
That is a good idea and something to be decided by the powers that be. I know that on the Garritan Personal Orchestra forum there is a "GPO Academy" section specifically for this purpose. In the meantime, the biggest thing you can do for yourself is immerse yourself in orchestral music recordings and follow along with the printed score. Classical pieces are easiest to get your hands on as there are lots of cheap Dover editions of the big orchestral blockbusters available. As you listen and hear something that catches your attention, you can see exactly how it was achieved on the printed page. This gives you better insight into all the various articulations for each instrument and how they all fit together - they won't seem so random and disconnected if you have a real-world model to apply them to. Even choose a short section of a piece and see if you can recreate it using your sample library. I know that this has been a great help to me as I try to sort through all the various choices offered by sample libraries.

So let's see if some sort of "EWQLSO Conservatory" starts up at this site - there are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to help.

Adambomb337
05-12-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm all for a forum like that!