PDA

View Full Version : How do I import a Storm Drums 2 sample file into Cubase 6?

CineMATTic Mojo
07-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey everyone. I would like to be able to use one of the Storm Drums 2 .ews sample files from the Storm Drums 2 samples library. I don't know how to get it into Cubase 6 though. Can someone please tell me how to import it into Cubase 6? When I go to Edit>Import>Audio, Cubase doesn't recognize the .ews file and says that its an invalid format! How do I overcome this? Thanks.

christerholm
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
You can't do that. All the samples are encrypted and can only be played, in PLAY

Morten Gjermundsen
07-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Im not really sure what you're trying to do here,but.
You open the Play vst.Then create a miditrack in cubase.
Play and record the sound you want.
Export.
Then you can import it into cubase again.

CineMATTic Mojo
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
You can't do that. All the samples are encrypted and can only be played, in PLAY

So, does that mean I can't record the sample of the drums playing so I can add it to a song I created using Hollywood Strings? I want to use one of the drum loops from the Storm Drums 2 samples folder as a beat to go along with my strings. I can't do that in Cubase 6? How would I go about doing that?

Jeff Hayat
07-25-2011, 08:23 PM
When I go to Edit>Import>Audio, Cubase doesn't recognize the .ews file and says that its an invalid format! How do I overcome this.

You don't. the ews files are not audio files - they are container files that hold the audio files. Kinda like the tupperware that holds your dinner. Would you bite into the tupperware to get to the food inside? Or would you take the lid off first?

Well, you can't get into the ews files like you can the tupperware, but as Morten alluded to, you would load the ews file into PLAY, and that is how you access the audio files (dinner).

I want to use one of the drum loops from the Storm Drums 2 samples folder as a beat to go along with my strings. I can't do that in Cubase 6? How would I go about doing that?

In your PLAY browser, do you see the loop? Load it into PLAY, assign a Cubase MIDI track to that PLAY MIDI channel, and you should be able to access the loop that way.

Cheers.

jarkkoh
07-26-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm curious how you manage to make something with HS but not with SD.

reddiesel41264
07-26-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm curious how you manage to make something with HS but not with SD.

Indeed, just use SD in the same way you use HS

springverb
07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
are you talking about the midi multis in the audition folder ?

CineMATTic Mojo
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Okay, thanks for the replies but, now I can't seem to get PLAY to load the Storm Drums 2 samples library. It will load the Storm Drums 2 instrument library, but not the samples library. If I right click on Storm Drums 2 (in the "Favorites" window in PLAY), and I show PLAY where the Storm Drums 2 samples library is located, it still doesn't show up in PLAY when I load Storm Drums 2. What am I doing wrong?

christerholm
07-26-2011, 09:19 AM
You are not supposed to load "samples", you load "instruments" which in turn loads the actual samples that you then can play back.

reddiesel41264
07-26-2011, 10:10 AM
just use SD in the same way you use HS

:p

springverb
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Remove the library from your east west favourited menu and add it again by navigating to stormdrum 2 Instruments folder

CineMATTic Mojo
07-26-2011, 03:27 PM
You are not supposed to load "samples", you load "instruments" which in turn loads the actual samples that you then can play back.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here but, I know that the Storm Drums 2 "instruments" in the instruments folder are "samples". I am talking about the separate samples folder that is NEXT TO the instruments folder. The instruments folder has .ewi files, while the samples folder has .ews files. They are two totally different types of files!

I am already able to load the instruments in PLAY (the .ewi files).

This is what Jeff Hayat said in his reply to my topic:

"In your PLAY browser, do you see the loop? Load it into PLAY, assign a Cubase MIDI track to that PLAY MIDI channel, and you should be able to access the loop that way."

When he says "loop", he is talking about a Storm Drums 2 "SAMPLE" (.ews file). The problem is, I can now see the Storm Drums 2 SAMPLES (.ews files) in PLAY but, when I click on one and then try and click the "ADD" button, nothing happens. The "ADD" button doesn't even do anything when I click on it so, I must be missing something here. What do I need to do?

Pietro
07-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like you are confusing things. Ewi are instrument files, ews are sample files.

You can only load instruments (which are built from samples - the ews files), just like in any other EW library.

Additionally, as springverb pointed out, your favorites folder should be directing to Instruments folder, not Library folder, so you shouldn't be browsing through the Samples folder anyway. He also pointed the way to fix this.

- Piotr

CineMATTic Mojo
07-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh okay. What is the Samples Library folder for then? I thought the Storm Drums 2 Samples Library folder were continuous loops of the different drum instruments. They aren't drum tracks?

pkm
07-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh okay. What is the Samples Library folder for then? I thought the Storm Drums 2 Samples Library folder were continuous loops of the different drum instruments. They aren't drum tracks?

It contains the samples referenced by the instruments folder.

christerholm
07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
You are confusing PLAY libraries with some regular KONTAKT libraries, where you have NKI files and WAV files, there you can either load NKI in Kontakt, or import the WAV directly in Cubase. In PLAY however, you can only load the EWI inside the PLAY interface.

Look at the Hollywood Strings folder, you will see the same structure.

CineMATTic Mojo
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM
So why have two separate libraries (and two separate folders, for that matter), an instrument library and a samples library, if they both do the same thing? What's the point? Will we be able to do something different with the samples library in a future version of PLAY?

christerholm
07-27-2011, 11:24 PM
EWI files just reference the contents of EWS files.
They tell PLAY "Load this and that sample from this and that EWS file"

pkm
07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
So why have two separate libraries (and two separate folders, for that matter), an instrument library and a samples library, if they both do the same thing? What's the point? Will we be able to do something different with the samples library in a future version of PLAY?

Some instruments share the same samples. If samples were contained within instrument files, it would not be as efficient because there would be duplicate copies of the same file.

They don't both do the same thing. One is a set of audio files (the samples) and the other is a set of instructions and scripts telling it what samples to play when.

iLoked
07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_cLWqMZQ1CPk/TGL1iu-_kII/AAAAAAAAA1M/G6LuPaKPX-8/2010_ferrari_f458_italia_01_s.jpg
+
http://avvoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/tirekicker.jpg

I'm sure they have their reasons. Look other libraries, they're all done pretty much the same way; some just have samples somewhere as wav's.

Pietro
07-28-2011, 02:47 AM
Delete the samples folder and you will figure out what is there for :D.

- Piotr