PDA

View Full Version : Ritualistic Music Demo: Floating World

Marko
05-13-2005, 02:03 PM
This piece uses solo instrument samples (platinum). Flute, piccolo, bass drums, and tom toms are initially featured and then a lot of percussion.

http://www.planetcanadice.com/Music/FloatingWorld_M.Drost.mp3

Flute, piccolo, small tom toms and violin use all three mic samples whereas the other samples use stage and hall settings only.

Initially it is sparse and has a ritualistic sound. Then it blooms briefly and winds down.

Please let me know what you think about the mix and the idea.

Marko

G.Jouan
05-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Really nice! And an interesting demo for the use of solo instrument samples

Marko
05-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Thank you.

Steve Karl
05-17-2005, 05:32 AM
Yes. Quite interesting and very well done.

drew
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Very effective and well conceived. I'm a big fan of mimimalist and sparing use of instrumentation, and you've done a very good job of setting a mood. I applaud your inventiveness and taking chances outside the big orchestral sound we hear so much. Experimentation is the key to originality and finding your own voice.

Marko
05-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Steve and Drew,

Thank you very much.

I am grateful to know there are others who appreciate the capacity for these samples to be used in different styles.

These samples lend themselves to a myriad of compositional styles and approaches.

Thanks for lending me your ears!

Marko

josejherring
05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I really like the piece. I was hoping for some aesthetic glue to hold the piece together sonically.

I really like the expression and I really thought all the flutes and pitch bends were cool.

Maybe a cleverly place drone to give it more of the mediation feel would be enough to hold it together from begining to end. But not the same drone throughout but like changing it up from the lower to the middle depending on what you have going on around it.

Cheers,

Jose

Sean R. Beeson
05-18-2005, 02:56 PM
A differently refreshing piece! :)

Sean

Marko
05-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks Jose.

Perhaps the drone of a tambura would have the binding effect you are suggesting.

The piece is quite sparse and episodic.

Thanks Sean.

Marko