PDA

View Full Version : Ellessar, The Elfstone -EWQLSO Silver Edition

wayne_rowley
05-14-2005, 04:57 AM
Hi there,

I posted a link to this about a month ago, but the bandwidth on my 'free' website expired after a couple of days - grrr. Sine then I have re-mixed the track and added more expression, especially to the strings. I have also moved to a new ISP! :)

I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on the new mix as I am considering entering this track to the monthly competition (although with so many fantastic tracks already enterered I don't think it stands a chance)

Many thanks,
Wayne

Here is the link: Ellessar, The Elfstone (http://bootlebug.booty.org.uk/ellessar.mp3)

JeZii
05-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, that's some very good work! :)

The melody in the song is very fine and it works, for me at least. Using of instruments is also awesome, I've been now trying to do something with Silver also for a month, and couldn't still really do anything like that with it.

There were some small "mistakes" I found there, like, in my opinion, in this one more silent part (when oboe is playing the melody), flute comes out too loud. I mean in the case, if you would like oboe to be the main instrument in that part.

I think also that reverb would be quite fine to add to the song, but that's quite much of my own opinion, maybe I'm too used to reverb, because I always use it... :D Many from here might disagree with me though, but that was just my point of view.

Overall, a great song, waiting to hear more of your neat work. :) Hope you'll do fine in the contest!

-Joona

wayne_rowley
05-15-2005, 05:52 AM
Thank you Joona. I will have a listen to the flute. I often find that the flute gets a bit lost in the mix - hence I will bring it slightly forward compared to other wind instruments in the mix. But maybe I should look at the orchestration rather than trying to 'fix in the mix'!

As to reverb, I have posted a question on the Help forum asking for what people use for reverb with Silver. The track does use a Hall reverb, but perhaps it needs a stronger one..? Please let me know what you use for reverb. I want to try some experiments to see which sounds best.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Wayne

JeZii
05-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Heh, you're welcome. :)

Anyway, my ear might not really be that "developed" to hear all the reverb... I use Lexicon Pantheon (which came along with Sonar 3 Producer), but I still haven't really learned using it so well, now I set some preset reverbs with it and modify some settings. Before Lexicon I used the built-in reverbs in EWQLSOSE (embarrasing to say... :D), at least it's simply enough for me, heh.

Joona

wayne_rowley
05-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Before Lexicon I used the built-in reverbs in EWQLSOSE (embarrasing to say... :D), at least it's simply enough for me, heh

Nothing embarrassing about it - the built in reverb is very good! But it is quite CPU intensive and it is more efficient to use a plugin on a bus.

Regards,
Wayne