PDA

View Full Version : The current state of Logic

deathadder79
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Is Logic a horrible / buggy / problematic application now?

I've seen a few people say this... is this something new with 7.0 (all the problems and errors)... a few years ago it seemed like everyone thought Logic reigned supreme... I used 6.0 (?) in college and never had any real problems... did a bunch of errors come in when Apple bought the software from Emagic?

I ask because.. I had every intention of buying Logic next month when I get my G5, but maybe I should get something else?

Thanks!

anton
05-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Shure Logic have a bugs. Nobody perfect. Logic is my faithful friend every day and help me
to work safetely......Dont worry still Logic best solution on Mac System :)

fvicente
05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi deathadder79,

Logic has bugs but so does every other DAW application out there today. That doesn't mean that you can't get work done on any of them. These are complex and highly sophisticated programs so there's bound to be a few. Having said that though, I have found Logic Pro 7 to be very stable. When you read forums, user groups, and mailing lists, most people go there to post only about their problems in hope that they will get advice on how to solve them. So it's no surprise that that's what you've heard.

IMHO, if you found no problems in Logic Pro 6, then you'll probably have a great time with Logic Pro 7. I could crash Logic easier in 6 than in 7. At the end of the day, you're able to do work with pretty much all of the sequencers around. Apple bought Emagic back in 2002 when Logic was at version 5.5.

One thing is to ensure that you have quality RAM. I was having non-stop crashes for awhile on my Mac until I discovered that my RAM was bad. I replaced it and all has been very stable since then. Most of my crashes since then have been due to buggy plugins which I remove until I get an updated more stable version of the plugin.

If you like working in Logic, I don't think that you need to be worried about buying it personally. Provided you keep a clean system with no cracks or buggy software and install plenty of RAM, you'll enjoy working with Logic IMHO.

HTH,
fvicente

ComposerNYC
05-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I would agree... Logic is still the best app out there for Mac. I started Logic back at 4.7 I think, and while all of the incarnations have been pretty bug-free, I haven't noticed any more or less bugs now that it's in Apple's care. Plus you get all those great soft synths etc with Logic Pro.

Kerry

deathadder79
05-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone! ...this is exactly what I was hoping for - reassurance that it's still the same ol' Logic I was used to. Thanks again!

rikp
05-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I use Logic everyday along with DP and both are great! I have had minor problems, but nothing that could not be solved. I am running a lot of third party plugs and I can't say enough about how stable the two programs are. Sure there are problems, but every program has its share!

Peace

rp

Dr.Grace
05-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Me too. I find Logic 7.1 to be stable and a joy to use. It will be a long time before I explore all the features of this program. I only wish the disk data transfer were a little more efficient.

Don

midislut
05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
also go and ask here:

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?showforum=52

very experienced logic users there

here is the cubase sx / mac forum if your interested:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=5

personally i use cubase :p

Sean R. Beeson
05-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Any problems that logic has had are also fixed rather efficiently and quickly as well.

Sean Beeson

deathadder79
05-17-2005, 06:01 PM
here is the cubase sx / mac forum if your interested:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=5

personally i use cubase :p

i should have mentioned this... I didn't mean for this thread to turn into "which app is best" poll; I just wanted to make sure Logic was the same as before... like has been said, each app has its ups and downs...

ELP71
05-17-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm diggin' it.

Frederick
05-17-2005, 09:02 PM
.. I had every intention of buying Logic next month when I get my G5, but maybe I should get something else?

Thanks!

I work everyday in Logic on my G5 - its a great team. I opted to leave DP w/OS9 because I liked how Logic invites composition. Sure they're working out the bugs but personally, if you're going G5 seriously consider going with Logic too.

Now that they've addressed delay compensation all those great plug ins that come with Powercore (like all the Sony Oxford Plugs and TC 6000 emulations) can be utilized right alongside all those plug-ins you can utilize in the Logic environment. Midi implementation is really nice too - I like to both sequence and score - Logic is intuitive (and nothing like the horror stories I heard in the earlier versions.)

Hope this helps :)

Frederick Russ
my website (http://www.vi-control.net/forum)

rJames
05-17-2005, 09:51 PM
I like the innocent little button on the footer of Frederick's posts. Somebody who doesn't know Frederick is going to go, "Hmm, I think I'll go listen to a some of this guy's work."

Aren't they in for a surprise.

Go to my website and you'll go, "Another funky graphic and music that only one guy listens to."

Go to Frederick's site and a choir of Angels sing, "Eureka," in Latin.

Oh, yeah, Logic...good.

shnurgle
05-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi,
Since this is an EW forum and since you all seem to love using Logic, I think this is the place for me to ask this.

I have spent the better part of the last year of my life researching and troubleshooting the infamous "Multi-Instrument Instances of Kompakt in Logic" problem. For those that aren't hip, this is the phenomenon where (because of the way Logic is designed) when you load multiple EWQLSO patches into 1 Kompakt instance and then assign each patch to a track in the arrange window, you find that the volume, pan, effect plugin etc settings are GLOBAL for every patch withing that instance. In other words, if you've loaded 8 patches into one instance of Kompakt and you adjust say, the volume fader for track 1, you will inadvertantly be adjusting the volume for tracks 2-8 as well.
There are two lame workarounds that i have discovered:
1. Connect a transformer in the environment to each Kompakt instance and change CC7 to CC11.
(problem, this only effects volume. you still can't adjust plugins, pan or anything else for individual tracks)
2. Route each track to a seperate aux strip.
(problem you double your track count, which is pretty rough especially if you have an entire symphony orchestra loaded..you end up with 80-100 tracks!)

So my question for the happy campers is, what's the secret? As far as I know, in DP for example, there is no problem loading multiple patches in Kompakt and then assigning each patch to it's own individual automatable track. Why can't this be done in logic?

Are any of you using Multi patch instances of kompakt successfully in Logic, and what magic are you working that I don't know about.

Incidentally, the use of multiple patches per Kompakt instance is essential since I use so many patches (40-50) to emulate a complete symphony orchestra. If I only neded to use say 20 EWQLSO patches, I would obviously just load a new kompakt instance into each track in the arrange window.

Please illuminate.

sinkd
05-26-2005, 05:22 AM
1. Connect a transformer in the environment to each Kompakt instance and change CC7 to CC11.
(problem, this only effects volume. you still can't adjust plugins, pan or anything else for individual tracks)

So my question for the happy campers is, what's the secret? As far as I know, in DP for example, there is no problem loading multiple patches in Kompakt and then assigning each patch to it's own individual automatable track. Why can't this be done in logic?

Please illuminate.

Hi Shnurgle,

I may have responded to your posts on this before... sorry if this is redundant (and it's not exactly the answer you are looking for). I am in a similar situation, scoring for orchestra--although I rarely need to load more than 30 or so instruments. I use Logic and DP and have found that the CC7 issue has kind of forced me to a different way of working that is actually better with respect to the EW lib (I have Platinum).

I just don't use CC7 anymore. This has steered me toward the dynamic crossfade patches (which are far more realistic and expressive than most automated volume changes) and taught me how to whirl that mod wheel. As for automating CC10, I have worked for some time now without doing any pan adjustments either. The stereo placements are just right. This doesn't address all of the issues you are wrestling with, but for me they were the biggest. Sometimes I start in Finale (which uses velocity changes for some volume) and then convert all CC7 to CC11 when I export a .mid file to DP or Logic. Then I replace tracks as needed by playing them back in and editing the controller data, inserting keyswitches, etc.

Of course, all of this is just for using EWQLSO with Kompakt... and for a while I was just where you are, very frustrated that I couldn't do volume automation and the like. BTW, I never really got DP to automate volume per MIDI track either. I just use CC1 & 11 there as well.

Cheers,

DS

shnurgle
05-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey,
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that's been my solkution as well. Milk the DXF patches and enjoy the native stereo positioning of the EWQLSO patches. In truth, the results I'm getting are right where I'd like them to be. But every now and then I need to throw an effect on one specific track, or I'd like to adjust the pan a bitand it's painful that after hundreds (or thousands) of dollarsw on the industries top software and hardware I can't automate pan for my oboe track?! I just can't believe such a grand oversight could amke it past production.

Don't get me wrong I am devoted to logic as an audio workstation and as a scoring tool I have had tremendous success. It is unquestionably a powerful and thorough piece of software. But, the use of multi patches within a single sampler instance is something that I would believe to be a fairly common necessity. Especially for loading 40+ patches for a complete symphony orch. If I loaded 40 instances of kompakt (1 per track) it would take all day to load and I'm sure that despite my 4 gigs of RAM I would get mem messages.

My curent silver setup is 40 Silver patches loaded into 5 instances of kompakt (8 patches/instance). I have transformers wired to each audio inst in the environment converting volume to expression. This way, I can have a full symphony orch at my fingertips and am able to adjust volume levels for each track. I just wish there was a way to assign each patch in Kompakt to it's own individual automatable track, and you could treat it like it's own audio track.

I guess when they designed logic they figured the average user would have a lot of audio tracks and maybe a few audio instrument tracks.
*sigh

Anytempo
05-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that's been my solkution as well. Milk the DXF patches and enjoy the native stereo positioning of the EWQLSO patches. In truth, the results I'm getting are right where I'd like them to be. But every now and then I need to throw an effect on one specific track, or I'd like to adjust the pan a bitand it's painful that after hundreds (or thousands) of dollarsw on the industries top software and hardware I can't automate pan for my oboe track?! I just can't believe such a grand oversight could amke it past production.

Don't get me wrong I am devoted to logic as an audio workstation and as a scoring tool I have had tremendous success. It is unquestionably a powerful and thorough piece of software. But, the use of multi patches within a single sampler instance is something that I would believe to be a fairly common necessity. Especially for loading 40+ patches for a complete symphony orch. If I loaded 40 instances of kompakt (1 per track) it would take all day to load and I'm sure that despite my 4 gigs of RAM I would get mem messages.

My curent silver setup is 40 Silver patches loaded into 5 instances of kompakt (8 patches/instance). I have transformers wired to each audio inst in the environment converting volume to expression. This way, I can have a full symphony orch at my fingertips and am able to adjust volume levels for each track. I just wish there was a way to assign each patch in Kompakt to it's own individual automatable track, and you could treat it like it's own audio track.

I guess when they designed logic they figured the average user would have a lot of audio tracks and maybe a few audio instrument tracks.
*sigh

shnurgle,

Have you tried this method? http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_Logic-multi_tutorial.html

I think it might solve your pan and volume questions. Even though it's written for GPO, it should work fine for EWQLSO.

evaclear
05-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi,
Since this is an EW forum and since you all seem to love using Logic, I think this is the place for me to ask this.

I have spent the better part of the last year of my life researching and troubleshooting the infamous "Multi-Instrument Instances of Kompakt in Logic" problem. For those that aren't hip, this is the phenomenon where (because of the way Logic is designed) when you load multiple EWQLSO patches into 1 Kompakt instance and then assign each patch to a track in the arrange window, you find that the volume, pan, effect plugin etc settings are GLOBAL for every patch withing that instance. In other words, if you've loaded 8 patches into one instance of Kompakt and you adjust say, the volume fader for track 1, you will inadvertantly be adjusting the volume for tracks 2-8 as well.
Please illuminate.

I'm glad i've read this! So it seems there's pretty significant bugs in NI Kompakt with Logic and ProTools. That's a pretty big oversight!

A question i've been wondering... Do you get a full/pro version of Logic 7 bundled with the G5, or is it a stripped back version?

shnurgle
05-26-2005, 04:39 PM
thanks for the reply,
unfortunately this is the aux strip method I referred to earlier. The end result is the dobling of your track count. a midi track and an aux track forr each patch.