PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Spirits

Denny S.
03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Here's a little piece to fill my current gap of music releases. This piece was written at the end of Summer last year, I remember that I got tired after writing 15 mins of over the top epic choral battle music for a client, so I wanted to go for something calmer because I really needed to work on something different. Since the mix was terrible back then and I had to get back to other works I didn't bother releasing it. However, yesterday I cleaned up my project folder and stumbled upon it again, redid the mix, and now we're here. :)

Libraries used here are HS, QL Pianos, SILK, SC and a small bit of HB as there's not much brass in it. There's also a small amount of other libraries involved. QL Spaces was used for most of the reverb.

http://www.dennyschneidemesser.com/music/Autumn%20Spirits.mp3

tedreedy
03-02-2012, 02:47 PM
hey Denny! good to see you. always love going on a journey inside your music.

generally, I liked the piano, great character. though it seemed a bit loud where the orchestration is more sparse... could blend a little more in those parts.
really liking the build ~1:45, everything working together.
transition to Bb at 1:57 found a bit jarring, could be smoothed out?
loving the subtle cello ~ 2:38
~3min is magical
watch out for overuse of gongs & cymbals...
love 5:20-6:03, this sounds really polished and complete... my favorite part. reminds of some JNH
after a beautiful 4 min in one key to have it change for 15s at the end didn't work for me... although it could possibly work with a ritardando, some careful orchestration... hm, I dunno

really nice work man! definitely has your signature on it... thanks for posting :-)

Sinfour
03-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I have been waiting for some new Denny music.. you say its old, but in my ears its pure gold.
Love the piece, ad i love all your all the stuff you write.

Keep up the good work, and keep on surprising us with new or old music :)

Denny S.
03-02-2012, 09:54 PM
hey Denny! good to see you. always love going on a journey inside your music.

generally, I liked the piano, great character. though it seemed a bit loud where the orchestration is more sparse... could blend a little more in those parts.
really liking the build ~1:45, everything working together.
transition to Bb at 1:57 found a bit jarring, could be smoothed out?
loving the subtle cello ~ 2:38
~3min is magical
watch out for overuse of gongs & cymbals...
love 5:20-6:03, this sounds really polished and complete... my favorite part. reminds of some JNH
after a beautiful 4 min in one key to have it change for 15s at the end didn't work for me... although it could possibly work with a ritardando, some careful orchestration... hm, I dunno

really nice work man! definitely has your signature on it... thanks for posting :-)

Hey Ted, thanks for stopping by! Your feedback is always appreciated! :)

I think my friend already mentioned that the transition to Bb was somewhat wonky, I then got somehow used to it and just left it. I guess that's one of the problems when you're working too long on something. And yes, I've always been in love with JNH's The Village Soundtrack, which probably influenced me here. Some good and useful feedback here as I didn't know what to improve otherwise, so thanks for taking your time!

I have been waiting for some new Denny music.. you say its old, but in my ears its pure gold.
Love the piece, ad i love all your all the stuff you write.

Keep up the good work, and keep on surprising us with new or old music :)

Haha, thanks mate! I'll get sure to get more active here in the future again. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Sherief83
03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Lovely work as always mate. I especially love that nice modulation you do at 1:55, really nice dude!

TGV
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
What can one add after Ted? Although, I thought the cymbals fitted the piece. I liked this dreamy piece, lyrical, evoking images of a journey.
Nice.

Shovyk
03-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Hello Denny,

I personally believe that this is one of the most intimate, profound and touching pieces you've written so far that I heard of you. Autumn Spirits of course resembles as film music but... this piece has something more for us auditors to capture, to learn or understand.

It probably must be very stressful to be committed in commercial projects... well, for every professional composer as a matter of fact.

The reason why you wanted and needed "to go for something calmer" is not a coincidence. You clearly wrote it yourself: I got tired after writing 15 mins of over the top epic choral battle music for a client, so I wanted to go for something calmer because I really needed to work on something different.
I felt anxiety, melancholy and weariness in this piece of yours and it seems that it does not end in a positive note when listening to the precipitate sad ending, as if you had no choice back then but to keep going on; there was going back at that point.

Whatever happens/happened, keep up the good work and spirit. Keep having boldness in your compositions Denny.

Thank you for sharing this music with us. I really enjoyed this one.

Sincerely,

RyanS
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Very very good...

Ryan

scorba
03-11-2012, 08:25 AM
this is very beautiful!

pickpiano
03-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Nice work! This is a beautiful piece. I love all the layers you put together. I think this would sound good with a live group - which is a sign of good writing, rather than relying on fake instruments or effects to carry the piece. Someone already said this, but I would just like to second, you might consider backing down the piano a tiny bit. Is there reverb on it? I didn't believe the piano was in the same room as the rest of the group.

All the same, beautiful.

Cheers,
Pickpiano