PDA

View Full Version : Would like some feedback

janat
04-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I've been working on pieces and would like to get some feedback on them. They're mostly movie soundtrack style, although I don't really know which genre they are. Here's the link: http://soundcloud.com/klawie/sets/wip-projects

These tracks haven't been finished yet. Mixing isn't really my strong point, and I would especially love feedback on that aspect.

Jeff Hayat
04-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi.

First off, you might want to make your mixes stereo. Mono - bad.

Secondly, what libraries are you using? The first track sounds like it is from some cheap GM synth from 1972.

Then we have this comment,

" I don't really know which genre they are. "

Umm, that's not good. When you don't know the style or genre of your own compositions, that is not good. It shows that you don't yet have direction, and you don't know what it is that you want to do. You need to figure that out first.

Try listening to orchestral recordings, and other recordings that you like and that you would like to emulate, and try to copy those. I am not telling you to rip anyone off, but copy what others are doing so you have a frame of reference when it comes to how to organize instruments and orchestrate.

Best of luck.

janat
04-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the comments Jeff.

Secondly, what libraries are you using? The first track sounds like it is from some cheap
GM synth from 1972.
In the second and first tracks I used some free libraries, so that's why they don't sound that good. In the third track I used EWQLSO silver.

Umm, that's not good. When you don't know the style or genre of your own
compositions, that is not good. It shows that you don't yet have direction, and you don't
know what it is that you want to do. You need to figure that out first.
Maybe my wording was a bit off. I don't know the exact genre, but I did have a clear vision of what style they would be and what I wanted to do when I composed these tracks.

The first two tracks aren't really supposed to sound orchestral because I know it's impossible because of the limits of the libraries involved. On these tracks I'd appreciate comments on the compositions themselves. The third track is orchestral pop and the one I'd really love to get some feedback on mixing, composition, sound and overall feel.

I appreciate your comments and will try copying some of my favorites.

crowesque
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
" I don't really know which genre they are. "

Umm, that's not good. When you don't know the style or genre of your own compositions, that is not good. It shows that you don't yet have direction, and you don't know what it is that you want to do. You need to figure that out first.

I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents and say I completely disagree with this statement. As a musician, one is never entitled to find a genre and stick with it as your sole direction. Not having a direction is great. It makes you well rounded in all genres. You have no boundaries. People expect the unexpected from you. Experimenting is how new genres are formed, and in those cases, no, you wont always know what genre to say your song fits into. I've been there personally. Not to mention, have you SEEN the list of genres these days? Can you honestly sit back and say you know each one in its entirety? Hell, theres 13 or more different forms of metal anymore, and I personally dont know, nor do I care, about the difference between black metal/doom metal/death metal or grindcore. I wont even begin to get into the electronic or symphonic fields.

In those cases, if I write something that sounds classical, yet a mix of worldy, and also mixed with factory noise and some heavy guitars - I just say "other" ... because its just different. It has a sound you don't always hear elsewhere. And if you /do/ hear it elsewhere, then someone can come and tell me what genre it is, because I have better things to do than to spend my time researching thousands of subgenres of music. ;)

One day I might use samples of trains thrown into a distorted whirlpool of chaos and run some drums over-top. The next day I may write a beautiful classical sounding piano piece. The fact is, not having a direction makes you a better musician. I can not stand seeing any one person stick to a specific genre and stay there. I mean if they want to, fine, but I am deeply infatuated with the evolution of music and hearing the emotional changes of the composer, not the overuse of a specific genre because thats what they're "known for" or thats what is selling at the time.

Not saying your'e wrong, because if you were to be getting paid to write under a specific genre at all times, it makes sense to "pick that direction", but most of us will never get to that point. I'd personally like to be able to get any job, at any time, writing whatever is needed for any given situation. :D

Jeff Hayat
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents and say I completely disagree with this statement. As a musician, one is never entitled to find a genre and stick with it as your sole direction.

You are twisting my words - that is not what I said. I never said, "find a genre and stick with it as your sole direction."

I said that it is not good when you don't know what style or genre your own compositions are in. Two different things.

askipper
04-19-2012, 03:23 PM
You are twisting my words - that is not what I said. I never said, "find a genre and stick with it as your sole direction."

I said that it is not good when you don't know what style or genre your own compositions are in. Two different things.

Everyone seems to be misinterpreting you recently Jeff ;-) Bet you wonder why you bother sometimes mate!

crowesque
04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
This is why digital communication is never as good as speaking in person. haha

Sorry about that. To me, I read it like you were wanting him to "pick a direction", so, I guess you can understand where I went with that. But, I still think its worth the read for anyone who might think they have to stay in one particular genre for any length of time :D