PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Drumkit From Hell 2

Scott
05-17-2005, 03:32 PM
and Drumkit From Hell Multi Format?? Aside from DFH2 being married to the KOMPAKT player and DFH Multi having a loops CD, what are the sample differences? I take it there are no loops in DFH2, since there's no apparent Intakt player.
Any upgrade paths to Superior??

Info from SOL:
DFH2
Afer a year of recording, editing, and programming - the next generation of Drumkit From Hell - DRUMKIT FROM HELL 2 has arrived, and once again it features Tomas Haake from Meshuggah on a Sonor drumkit. DRUMKIT FROM HELL 2 includes 2.4 Gigabytes and 3,200 soundfiles of unprocessed drum sounds powered by a special version of Native Instrument's KOMPAKT Sampler.

Are the below 1000 wav files included and how much drive space is needed for DFH?

DrumKit From Hell
# Battery, HALion, DR-008, LM-4, Giga & EXS24 mappings.
# More than one thousand individual WAV files.
# Audio section with demos plus a Drumkit From Hell - Guiding Tour presentation.
# Pre programmed midi examples that you can import to get you started in any application.
# Presets of eq's and fx used in the demos, mapping information and other useful stuff.
# Separate CD with "Loops From Hell".

Thanks,

Sean R. Beeson
05-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Mutli contains one disc of loops, and a second disc contains all single hit samples, but has keymapped presets for a few different samplers, and just the wav. files too.

DFH2 doesn't have any loops I believe, mostly because DFHS doesn't have any either. DFH2 has more samples than DFH mutli too.

Hope this helps. I would go with DFH2, but that is just because I prefer plugins versus multi formated discs.

Sean Beeson

Scott
05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks Sean. Yes DFH2, looks best for my needs and a good way to spend my points. I'd really like to have Superior, but the budget won't handle it right now. Do you know if there is an upgrade path from DFH2?

Sean R. Beeson
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
There is not an upgrade path offered by East West from DFH2 to DFHSup.

Sean

Moonchilde
05-18-2005, 11:52 AM
DFH Multi Format is for DFH1, which is an entirely different kit from DFH2. DFH2 is more geared towards Metal, but I think DFH1 is more versatile (after the add on pack, which brings the price to the same as DFH2)

Really up to you on what kind of sound you want.

Plus, DFH only has Ambient and close mics, and DFH2 has the over heads, the ambients, the closes, etc... much more to work with to customize sound.

Scott
05-18-2005, 12:26 PM
DFH Multi Format is for DFH1, which is an entirely different kit from DFH2. DFH2 is more geared towards Metal, but I think DFH1 is more versatile (after the add on pack, which brings the price to the same as DFH2)

Really up to you on what kind of sound you want.

Plus, DFH only has Ambient and close mics, and DFH2 has the over heads, the ambients, the closes, etc... much more to work with to customize sound.

OK, now that I reread the DFH2 blurb, I see this IS a more metal sounding lib. Actually DFH looks focused on metal too. Not really what I'm looking for, though it still looks interesting and useable. Does SOL have anything more rounded that may include brushes?? I may just use my points towards Gold or PA2. Back to the research....
Thanks for the help guys, I should've read closer.

Moonchilde
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
DFH Vintage has brushes. I think Superior may too, but Vintage definately does. It ofcourse, costs more.

Sean R. Beeson
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Superior has brushes. Superior is a huge library though. (35 gigs) It is quite amazing, I was just testing it out the other day, but the amount of samples it has to load in to RAM is astonishing, that is if you want the full shebang, with the bleeding mics.

Sean Beeson

Nathan217
05-19-2005, 09:07 AM
I own DKFH2. The samples are raw, unprocessed, drums. There are no brushes, but the kit does have very detailed velocity layers. It is very dynamic, and you can fit it in to most any stye music. I have also used the original dkfh and to be honest, those samples sound better out of the box, but they lack the realism of dkfh2. The only complaint I have about dkfh2 is the hihats. There is only one mutable group. You can't go from a wide open hat to a closed hat. there's only a partial open to be muted. It's really weird, you'd think with the experience they have with sample lib's they would have made a better choke group. Or maybe mapped the hihat openess to the mod wheel cc. anything. other than that, i love it. it sounds better than artist drums to me, and the original dkfh. Hope this helps......peace and chicken grease :D

Scott
05-25-2005, 11:04 AM
There is not an upgrade path offered by East West from DFH2 to DFHSup.

Sean

Slightly confused about this. I can find no mention of the below Volume 6, but can easily find DFH2. Is this the same product?? Then there appears to be an upgrade, no?

Can someone from E/W clear this up for me??

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=TT103U

PROSAMPLES PLATINUM SERIES DRUMKIT FROM HELL 2 OWNERS UPGRADE TO SUPERIOR!

PROSAMPLES PLATINUM SERIES DRUMKIT FROM HELL 2 OWNERS UPGRADE TO SUPERIOR USING THIS SKU. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS SKU UNLESS YOU OWN VOLUME 6 DRUMKIT FROM HELL 2 AND WANT TO UPGRADE TO SUPERIOR. PROSAMPLES PLATINUM OWNERS, ONCE YOU'VE PLACED YOUR ORDER YOU WILL RECEIVE EMAIL ASKING FOR YOUR SERIAL NUMBER AS VERIFICATION OF OWNERSHIP.
The sequel to the all time best selling multi-sampled drum library dfh. dfh SUPERIOR includes all new drumkits with even more realism and user control than dfh, and it includes it's own built-in audio engine and interface for MAC and PC.

madfiddler
06-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I own DKFH2. The samples are raw, unprocessed, drums. There are no brushes, but the kit does have very detailed velocity layers. It is very dynamic, and you can fit it in to most any stye music. I have also used the original dkfh and to be honest, those samples sound better out of the box, but they lack the realism of dkfh2. The only complaint I have about dkfh2 is the hihats. There is only one mutable group. You can't go from a wide open hat to a closed hat. there's only a partial open to be muted. It's really weird, you'd think with the experience they have with sample lib's they would have made a better choke group. Or maybe mapped the hihat openess to the mod wheel cc. anything. other than that, i love it. it sounds better than artist drums to me, and the original dkfh. Hope this helps......peace and chicken grease :D

I noticed the problem with hi-hat grouping also. Seems complete madness. Wouldn't be too much to ask to get this fixed would it?

Mark.

Hardy Heern
06-01-2005, 02:32 PM
I noticed the problem with hi-hat grouping also. Seems complete madness. Wouldn't be too much to ask to get this fixed would it?

Mark.

I bet Toontrack are unaware of the problem. I'm sure they'd fix it if they knew. :)

Frank

madfiddler
06-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Well I had a look at the PDF, and apparently it's meant to be like that. only one open and one closed hat are grouped together... the other 9 (I think) are no grouped at all. Does seem rather strange....

Moonchilde
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
If you have Kontakt you can always edit the patches to your liking. Now, the only problem would be if they didn't record samples for multiple open hi-hats, like in DFH1.

madfiddler
06-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Mmm, good point.. I can do that :)

Brettr
06-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Scott, I would recommend strongly against DFH2. A friend has DFH Superior and is very happy with it. However with DFH2 I have had terrible problems getting through the online registration system which is just not working and tech support are not responding. A search of the internet show a long list of people with the same problem and not being able to reinstall it. I have purchased this software I shouldn't have to ask persmission to use it.

Also the samples seem to be only sampled at 20kHz not CD quality (44.1kHz)

Brett

Scott
06-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Scott, I would recommend strongly against DFH2. A friend has DFH Superior and is very happy with it. However with DFH2 I have had terrible problems getting through the online registration system which is just not working and tech support are not responding. A search of the internet show a long list of people with the same problem and not being able to reinstall it. I have purchased this software I shouldn't have to ask persmission to use it.

Also the samples seem to be only sampled at 20kHz not CD quality (44.1kHz)

Brett
This doesn't ring true. I've dealt with SOL for years and know their products and service to be as good as it gets. FWIW, I found the kits in SD to be close enough for what I need when it comes to DFH2 type drums and used my points on something else.

Brettr
06-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Here is a spectral chart of DFH2 snare top (top) and Natural Studios snare (bottom) using Sonar 3.

http://www2.gol.com/users/b-robson/DFH-sample.gif

No processing on either. Sorry about the levels being different but that shouldn't be a problem. On the DFH2 there is very little below 200Hz, which is no big loss, but there is nothing above 10kHz which means this sample is not stored at 44.1kHz but at 20kHz. Note there is nothing anywhere on the box, manuals or advertising, quoting the specs of the samples.

I did not elaborate on the registration process. You have to run a programme which contacts Native Instruments who then send you a key based on your serial number and system id. If you change your computer, reinstall the OS, or make modifications you will have to repeat this procsess. You have to get "permission" from NI to run the software you bought. I still have not got this process to work.