PDA

View Full Version : Ryan - Temp08 (Work in progress 3min)

Ryan
05-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Hello
http://soundcloud.com/ryan1986/ryan-temp08

If you got some time to listen and give some constructive criticism, then I would have appreciate that.

There are off course some things that still need some fixing. I'm still working out my template.

I change the mood a lot in this score (I think).

Best
Ryan

Dean
05-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Hello
http://soundcloud.com/ryan1986/ryan-temp08

If you got some time to listen and give some constructive criticism, then I would have appreciate that.

There are off course some things that still need some fixing. I'm still working out my template.

I change the mood a lot in this score (I think).

Best
Ryan

Hey Ryan,

The parts sound really great, (love the close sound of the mix)but its very stop/start all the way through and seems to lose focus near the end .sounding slightly asian with the pizz strings then ends in another style.
it never takes off or builds or grabs you,it needs some more balls,wheres the percussion or a theme?
BTW are the synths Rythmic Aura 2?

As an underscore synched to picture this would work obviously,but standalone its very stop /start. D

Ryan
05-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Dean:
Thank you for the feedback. Yeah, I'm still working out my template sound. This version is the one with the best sound so far. I definitely know what you mean by changing all the way (stop/start). Maybe it's because I'm working on my template, so I'm always trying new ways? just a question mark for my self. I really need to think of that for future work. When I hear it again, there is like 5/6 themes in this 3 min long part.

I'm gonna look for the balls :) Percussion a got a lot of. Just need to use them! theme will arrive sooner or later. Just need to clear out some parts.

The synths are homemade, aka my home brew.

TGV
05-20-2012, 02:25 PM
My first thoughts:
1. Overall, I like large parts, I found the sound interesting, but the details are not quite there yet.
2. The glitchy effect is a bit too strong to my taste. A smoother transition might help, especially under the first part of the melody.
3. The break at 1.08 doesn't really fit.
4. The parts that mainly consist of the underlying rhythm (e.g. 1.42) don't add interest.
5. The "Asian" part is too isolated.
6. At 2.20, it really picks up.
As Dean says, it makes a lot more sense if this is time-locked to images.

Ryan
05-20-2012, 02:34 PM
My first thoughts:
1. Overall, I like large parts, I found the sound interesting, but the details are not quite there yet.
2. The glitchy effect is a bit too strong to my taste. A smoother transition might help, especially under the first part of the melody.
3. The break at 1.08 doesn't really fit.
4. The parts that mainly consist of the underlying rhythm (e.g. 1.42) don't add interest.
5. The "Asian" part is too isolated.
6. At 2.20, it really picks up.
As Dean says, it makes a lot more sense if this is time-locked to images.

Precise and good!
Thanks a bunch.

It's the glitch-lead you mean at the start?
Hehe, the Asian part is a bit funny placed indeed.

About that time-lock to images. That's just me playing with styles.

Thanks!! Much appreciated .

Dean
05-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Dean:
Thank you for the feedback. Yeah, I'm still working out my template sound. This version is the one with the best sound so far. I definitely know what you mean by changing all the way (stop/start). Maybe it's because I'm working on my template, so I'm always trying new ways? just a question mark for my self. I really need to think of that for future work. When I hear it again, there is like 5/6 themes in this 3 min long part.

I'm gonna look for the balls :) Percussion a got a lot of. Just need to use them! theme will arrive sooner or later. Just need to clear out some parts.

The synths are homemade, aka my home brew.

Hey Ryan,
re future work:
Its a good habit to always get the theme/tone together first maybe just on piano,when you've nailed that,.then build around that never the other way around.
I used to make the mistake of composing cool parts,ostinatos,cool percussion loops etc then fitting a theme in some where,.big mistake.
If you nail the right theme/tone first then the track will nearly write itself(not really)and the amount of variatons and orchestations are endless and very inspiring which helps create a much better cue. D