PDA

View Full Version : OT: Good Deals on RAM.

Sean R. Beeson
05-18-2005, 11:14 AM
My friend showed me this website. I thought they had great deals on their ram and figured with the release of many new products and upcoming ones, that people might be needing more ram :).

www.dealram.com

Maybe I am just insane, but I paid 70$ for pc3200 512mb of ram a month ago, and they had some there about a week ago for 29$, so I thought I would share this site with the fellow members of this forum.

Sean

Moonchilde
05-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Eh, watch out for that stuff. Generic ram usually runs much slower, has higher CAS Latency, and isn't compatible with many chipsets and motherboards.

I usually use www.pricewatch.com to find ram. I generally stick with Samsung, I like their ram. I think I got 1 gig for about $130.

AndyFinkenstadt
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I like to use Crucial.Com to research the exact kinds of RAM known/certified to work with my motherboard/CPU/clock combinations, and then search on Pricewatch for the general street price. Usually I'll order through crucial or CDW's business services on price matching.

Crucial comes with lifetime warranty. Period, no questions asked. Sometimes that easy of mind is worth it to me, even though out of hundreds of sticks purchased only two have ever gone "bad" and I'm not entirely sure it was the ram; crucial replaced it (cross-shipped) instantly.

Moonchilde
05-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Awesome. Crucial is a good site but I never use it because all my motherboard manuals have a chart with compatible ram types. Its best to check those, IMO, but like I said, Crucial has a lot of good info on it.

aaaaaakash
05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
i always keep an eye out over on slickdeals.net , the ppl there find good deals on both generic and brand name ram (as well as anything else you could ever buy)...

lovelysilence
05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Also check transintl.com. less than 1000$ for 8 GB of Apple approved PC3200.

Sean R. Beeson
05-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks lovelysilence, that is pretty good for apple ram!

lovelysilence
05-18-2005, 05:13 PM
You're welcome mate,

yeah i thought that too.

deathadder79
06-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Also check transintl.com. less than 1000$ for 8 GB of Apple approved PC3200.

Is that ram just as good as the "official" ram off Apple's website? It seems to be, but it's beyond me why 2X1GB would cost $239 there and $600 on Apple's website... that's quite a difference...

synergy543
06-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I got my RAM from www.ramseeker.com for a fraction of Apple's price and its working beautifully. Just make sure you get a lifetime warranty.

lovelysilence
06-05-2005, 04:39 AM
Is that ram just as good as the "official" ram off Apple's website? It seems to be, but it's beyond me why 2X1GB would cost $239 there and $600 on Apple's website... that's quite a difference...

It's the official Apple RAM, so you'll get just the same. I don't see why you would think it's beyond you. Clearly Apple have always kept their prices way up. And they try to scare folks by letting out messages like 'buying RAM from another store than the Apple store, will get you in trouble.' Obviously there's plenty of folks who have bought Apple RAM (the real Apple RAM, cause you can go cheaper, but i wouldn't do that), and have excellent results.
I find Apple a very nice company, but largely overpriced.

deathadder79
06-09-2005, 11:45 PM
It's the official Apple RAM, so you'll get just the same..

Really? Where did you find that bit of information?

Most sites list ram as "Apple Ram" or "Apple compatible Ram", which usually means they are selling either another name brand or generic... which isn't always bad, but could be... all I know of is system crashes [from bad ram], though...

if this site sells the same ram Apple.com sells, and it's not generic... well, that's a great price. But I couldn't find confirmation on the website... from what I've seen they just refer to it as "Apple memory upgrades," which could mean anything... I've emailed them about it, but no reply yet...

lovelysilence
06-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Interesting. Let me know if you find out. Thanks.