PDA

View Full Version : Allow us to set the default mic position(s) that will load

action9000
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I would love an option in the PLAY Settings to allow us to simply "checkbox" the microphone positions that will load by default when we start up a new patch. That would really streamline the use of multiple (or different) mic positions (when applicable).

An alternative could be something like a "Load/Unload this mic position for all instruments in this instance" dialog box when changing mic positions. This dialog box should be possible to toggle on/off in the PLAY settings, though, to prevent it from popping up all the time.
Or just another set of buttons under the mic positions to apply to all instruments, vs. just the one instrument.

I can picture some complications here if users don't have all mic positions installed, etc. and also because many PLAY libraries don't have multiple mic positions. If it could only be applied to libraries that utilize multiple mic positions, then it might be possible. I understand that the "Settings" of PLAY are rather generic to all libraries, though.

It would just be a beautiful convenience feature!

aptmusic9
08-08-2012, 02:07 PM
+1 for this. It could be as simple as an additional folder of instruments for each mic position. Basically .ewi instruments that someone has created by loading the close mics and hitting "File - Save As". If EW wants to pay me I will do it and sit here loading instruments and clicking "Save As" all day. =)

Plasuma!!!
08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Batch-selecting mic positions for all patches in that instance?
All of my +1s!

That's something a bit similar to the 'master reverb' thing, right?

action9000
08-08-2012, 04:26 PM
That's something a bit similar to the 'master reverb' thing, right?

Exactly, yeah, same idea. :)

. It could be as simple as an additional folder of instruments for each mic position. Basically .ewi instruments that someone has created by loading the close mics and hitting "File - Save As".
Haha that works. I don't quite have the patience for that, but I guess it is a workaround. Would be awesome to have them included though, I think you're on to something.

Jose7822
08-08-2012, 10:23 PM
I've suggested a Master Mixer button before, a long time ago. Great idea!

It wouldn't be efficient when loading different instruments (like different drums or various instruments in a single instance), since that would require different mic settings for each patch (unless you do want them to be the same, of course). However, that could be dealt with individually, as is currently the case, and simply enable the Master Mixer button whenever the same mix is desired.

As an extra, being able to save these mic configurations as presets would be amazing. That way you simply enable the Master Mix button, select a preset (Dry Mix, Wet Mix, Surround Mix, etc) from a drop-dowm menu and move to the next PLAY instance. I also remember suggesting the ability to gang several PLAY instances, ala Slate VCC (this was before Slate VCC came out), to be able to make these changes globally via groups. But I'm sure that would be a much harder task.

JijGaat
08-08-2012, 10:47 PM
+1 for the suggestion, I sometimes only want to use mids + close for the strings, then it's really frustrating it first has to load the mains all the way, before I can unload it to load the mids and close mics. A custom option to select which microphones are loaded when selecting a patch would be great. Another option is to just not load a mic position when selecting a patch (or make an option that does this), so we can select the wanted mic positions.

Jose7822
08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
How about this?

As I was saying earlier, with the use of mix presets, you could achieve this without having to save each patch separately (which would become a chore every time a new library comes out or if you want a different mic configuration). Basically, you would load all the articulations you need into a single instance of PLAY. Obviously, they'll all load with their default mic positions. BUT, you could change this by selecting a mix preset from a drop-down menu which will automatically load the corresponding mics and levels for that particular articulation. If you want it to apply this to several articulations per PLAY instance, then simply enable the Master Mix button and then load the Mix preset. This should automatically load the corresponding mics and mic levels for all the loaded patches in sequence (as to not overload the system). The user will get a RAM limit message if the limit is reached.

I think this would be the ideal way of handling the different mic configurations instead of saving each articulation with its mic settings separately. That would just take too long to setup and would not be practical in cases other mic settings are desired. With Mix Presets you could potentially have several mix configurations for different types of arrangements that applies to several libraries if desired.

Pbishay
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
+1

gs-dk
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
+1

fbuerger2000
08-09-2012, 10:15 PM
+1

Chaim Goldman
08-10-2012, 05:50 AM
+1

My most important request from day 1.

gstitt
08-10-2012, 07:59 AM
The following would address this problem, in addition to many others:

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=42708

epwpower
08-10-2012, 10:01 AM
+1

This option would save me so much wasted time.

Morten Gjermundsen
08-13-2012, 01:56 PM
+1