PDA

View Full Version : Legato time stretching (speed control idea)

aptmusic9
08-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Sometimes, especially in repeated passages or faster passages, Hollywood Strings legato transitions will be too slow and have unpredictable speed to them, causing the instrument to not play in tempo. Commonly, you'll experience drift, where after several bars of a repeated phrase the instrument will get more and more off tempo. Sometimes i find myself micro editing notes from as little as 16th note to an entire beat ahead to try and correct a specific transition that is too slow. It takes hours of micro-editing, and usually I end up going in circles trying to get a clean take.

To remedy this, useful feature would be legato speed control. A CC message, or combination of CC messages that would apply timestretching to only the transitions, allowing them to be sped up or slowed down. Although this might result in a loss of realism, it would be easier to keep instruments in tempo. You could tame the transitions without causing audio degradation to the sustain part of the samples.

For example, maybe on the Celli LT 12 RR patch you have 3 transitions that are fine, but the fourth transition happens to be painfully slow. you could use the CC message to timestretch that 4th transition so that it now matches the other and can play in tempo.

Currently, users can transpose their music into a different key to avoid the note, or try to correct the error after bouncing to audio, but if enough users find this to be a problem maybe it makes sense to have it inside the software?

I understand it may not be practical to invest time into this kind of a feature, but I want EW to be aware of the issue. Thanks

Plasuma!!!
08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I like the idea of legato time-stretching, but what control would be used for that and what patches would it affect?

Would it be a new type of legato patch, or a 'fix' for the current ones?

Jose7822
08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
I also experience this issue and find myself moving notes ahead of time in order for the legatos to play in time. Another related problem is that there doesn't seem to be a smooth enough transition between legato samples. For example, you will find that the legato transitions at velocity 50 are considerably slower than those at velocity 55. It's like you're driving in 3rd gear and then you're suddenly in 1st gear (I guess you'll only know what I mean if you have driven cars with manual transmission, :-P).

In SO we had more control over the transition speed using CC5, though they didn't sound natural for obvious reasons. Now we have more natural sounding legatos yet there doesn't seem to be enough transitions to make the change smooth enough. Hope there is a way to arrive at a solution here since I feel this cripples the library a bit.

Chaim Goldman
08-10-2012, 07:03 AM
To remedy this, useful feature would be legato speed control.

This is already possible. Look in the manual.

aptmusic9
08-10-2012, 10:14 AM
This is already possible. Look in the manual.

velocity control in HS?? It doesnt work. Not well enough to solve this prblem at least

Chaim Goldman
08-10-2012, 10:22 AM
No. I remember reading something about a CC controlling how fast the legato transition happens.

aptmusic9
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Hmm if you could, please enlighten us then.

Chaim Goldman
08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
No luck.

Starting on page 57 they speak about using CCs to control various things, but as you have said: "legato speed control" is sadly not one of them.