PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Mic Position Mixdown

pkm
08-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I've got one for you. Some libraries have a mic position that is actually a mix of multiple mic positions to save on resources. Dennis Sands did one of his own for another library and you could get Shawn to do one for you. Users obviously wouldn't have the flexibility to change the mix of the mics but it could be a better starting point than a single mic position.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the Instruments subforum. This should be in there.

action9000
08-08-2012, 11:03 PM
The hard part would be deciding "What mix do we use for the multi-mic mixdown?" That's a really tough one to answer without supplying a few options (dryer, wetter, balanced), or just using the Main mics with a mix of a little of each other mic thrown in.

I love the concept and I've seen it before as well. It's just tough to make a call on what the generic mixdown would be.

JijGaat
08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I would really want to be able to influence the envelopes in my sequencer of the volume sliders of the different mic positions.

If I want to bring an instrument more in front, it helps to give it some more close mic volume. Now I have to load the same patch in for a second time and have a seperate track for these parts.
Most other things are already possible to alter over time, but my DAW (Reaper), doesn't allow for this. I am guessing this isn't due to Reaper, but due to something programmed in play. It would be awesome if this is possible! For explanation see the added screenshot

aptmusic9
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Yea great idea.

I wonder if PLAY could start using FLAC compression. Less disk space requirements and less performance demands on the drive. Probably less RAM use too, since the sample size is now greatly reduced. No loss of quality yet all the benefits of FLAC. Just convert all the WAVs to FLACs.