PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Orchestral Percussion

PigSlop
08-09-2012, 07:47 AM
1) Looped snare drum rolls w/ crossfading
2) Looped cymbal rolls w/ crossfading
3) Don't stick the timpani rolls at the upper end of the register like in EWSO. I know this was probably done to allow for two sets of single hits in one instrument. If that's the case, put the rolls in the middle.
4) How about a patch of multiple timpanis playing in unison for hits and rolls

That's all I can think of at the moment. Looking forward to it!

Plasuma!!!
08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
#1 and #2 are are patches I'd have hoped they would include automatically, haha.
#4 is interesting, a timpani ensemble, maybe?

To add to this list:
5) Snare rolls with speed control: Mod wheel controls speed, CC 11 controls dynamics. The idea is to simulate a tempo crescendo, which is a real pain in the butt to pull off with single hits. Alternatively or additionally: snare rolls with tempo detection and capability to adapt to tempo changes without artifacts.

6) Same as the above for timpani and cymbals. Same ideas just applied to other instruments.

7) Keyswitch for swapping between rolls and hits for timpani. It's nice to not have to move around the keyboard to play different articulations. This was inspired by OP's point #3.

8) Brushed articulations for snares, timpani, gongs, and cymbals at varying dynamics. Hard and soft mallets are good and all, but the brushes, man, they are needed!

9) Bowed articulations for cymbals and gongs at differing dynamics levels and bowing lengths. Mod wheel controls bowing.

10) Vibes with cross-fading between vibrato and non-vibrato. Mod wheel is the go-to control for such things, I guess. Would be very nice to have different speeds of vibrato and somehow control that. I wouldn't imagine this being a key-switching deal.

11) Tambourine at differing dynamics levels. Also a wide assortment of usable hits and shakes are a must-have, and the same sort of idea for speed controlled rolls would be nice to have for this instrument. It just needs a mention, tambos never get the love they deserve.

tayloran9
08-10-2012, 06:26 AM
#1 and #2 are are patches I'd have hoped they would include automatically, haha.

To add to this list:
5) Snare rolls with speed control: Mod wheel controls speed, CC 11 controls dynamics. The idea is to simulate a tempo crescendo, which is a real pain in the butt to pull off with single hits. Alternatively or additionally: snare rolls with tempo detection and capability to adapt to tempo changes without artifacts.

6) Same as the above for timpani and cymbals. Same ideas just applied to other instruments.

7) Keyswitch for swapping between rolls and hits for timpani. It's nice to not have to move around the keyboard to play different articulations. This was inspired by OP's point #3.

8) Brushed articulations for snares, timpani, gongs, and cymbals at varying dynamics. Hard and soft mallets are good and all, but the brushes, man, they are needed!

9) Bowed articulations for cymbals and gongs at differing dynamics levels and bowing lengths. Mod wheel controls bowing.

10) Vibes with cross-fading between vibrato and non-vibrato. Mod wheel is the go-to control for such things, I guess. Would be very nice to have different speeds of vibrato and somehow control that. I wouldn't imagine this being a key-switching deal.

11) Tambourine at differing dynamics levels. Also a wide assortment of usable hits and shakes are a must-have, and the same sort of idea for speed controlled rolls would be nice to have for this instrument. It just needs a mention, tambos never get the love they deserve.

As well as all this, I would hope they record different mallets for percussion instruments especially timpani, xylophone, glock and maybe vibraphone.

JPluth
08-12-2012, 12:07 AM
mod wheel control implement hardness/timbre for timpani and mallet percussion.

Benji
08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Looped and deep sampled Orchestral Ratchets would be very nice.

boulifb
08-15-2012, 03:34 AM
- Cymbals hits and dxf rolls with different sticks like timpani sticks and so on...
- Cymbals with sizzle (often used in John Williams orchestrations)...
- Dxf roll concert Bass drum at controllable speed (no matter the main tempo)
- double, triple and quadruple hits for snare drums at controllable speed (no matter the main tempo)
- Field drums and log drums

Anders Niska
08-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Windchimes too!

boulifb
08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
@Anders Niska: +1. Recorded one by one

Also Tree bells (recorded one by one)

Annabelle
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
How about different sizes and pitches of finger cymbals, both open and muted. How about different sizes and pitches of sleighbells, both chrome and brass.

tayloran9
08-19-2012, 11:37 AM
- Cymbals with sizzle (often used in John Williams orchestrations)...

I'd be very surprised (and gutted) if HOP didn't have them as EWSO has them.

I hope it's going to be comprehensive - I'd expect (and hope) it to be another mammoth library since there are so many instruments and techniques to sample in detail. Maybe it will be bigger even than HS?

JijGaat
08-19-2012, 12:39 PM
There are more instruments, but sampling percussion is WAY different compared to strings. I think the string library will be far bigger than hollywood percussion, no matter how much percussion they sample.

Med8r
08-20-2012, 09:35 AM
There are more instruments, but sampling percussion is WAY different compared to strings. I think the string library will be far bigger than hollywood percussion, no matter how much percussion they sample.

I agree. I'm expecting HOP to be the smallest library in the Hollywood Series (in GBs, not content). I'm honestly not sure if there are any instrument groups that could approach the size of HS, even if deeply sampled and done comprehensively. There's just no instrument group as flexible and wide-ranging as the string family. That, coupled with the fact that all HS samples have divisi counterparts, is why it is so large, and I'd be very surprised if HOP even comes close to HS's GB count.

PigSlop
08-20-2012, 09:43 AM
and I'd be very surprised if HOP even comes close to HS's GB count.

Agreed. When loading instruments from all three of the current Hollywood libraries, the slur patches tend to take the longest, which would imply that that those instruments are heavier from the standpoint of library size on disk. I'm not entirely sure how you'd sample a slur or anything similar with any percussion instrument, so that entire category of patches won't exist in HOP. I'll be surprised if the library tops 100GB, even if comprehensively sampled.

tayloran9
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah I guess, I was just thinking of the sheer number of instruments but looking at EWSO as a guide, Percussion takes less than 30 GB and Strings take nearly 80GB! So that puts things more into perspective!

So as long as HOP is more than 30GB....:D

JijGaat
08-21-2012, 03:52 AM
Idc about the GB, just deeply sampled percussion is ok, thanks :P

cmjames88
09-09-2012, 08:52 AM

To add to this list:

+1