PDA

View Full Version : FLAC for better performance?

aptmusic9
08-09-2012, 10:15 AM
I wonder if PLAY could start using FLAC compression. Less disk space requirements for storing the samples and less performance demands on the drive. Probably less RAM use too, since the sample size is now greatly reduced. No loss of quality yet all the benefits of FLAC. Just convert all the WAVs to FLACs. If for no other libraries, it would be the most helpful with Hollywood Strings, since its the largest and most demanding library.

action9000
08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
What would the decoding CPU load be for FLAC files? I honestly don't know.

If it's minimal, totally a +1 from me.I just worry about CPU power and adding latency.

aptmusic9
08-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Good point about the CPU use. Im not sure. Cubase was able to do it. Cubase now has the ability to record and playback FLAC just like a regular WAV and use "up to 60%" less disk space, and I haven't noticed any difference in performance.

christerholm
08-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Maybe not necessarily FLAC, but some sort of lossless compression, like Kontakt did with the NCW format.

tayloran9
08-11-2012, 12:08 AM
This has been requested before but EastWest said they weren't keen on the idea of PLAY having to decode anything on the fly. However this is what wikipedia says about FLAC decoding, "The technical strengths of FLAC compared to other lossless formats lie in its ability to be streamed and decoded quickly, which is independent of compression level. In a comparison of compressed audio formats, FFmpeg's FLAC implementation was noted to have the fastest and most efficient embedded decoder of any modern lossless audio format.[9]"

I think this feature would be fantastic for PLAY whether they go with FLAC or another format, they could halve the footprint of their biggest libraries and if other companies are able to do for their own huge libraries such as VSL, there's no reason why EastWest couldn't.

blackcom
08-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Would love flac as ssd disks are still very expensive.

Ssd diskspace is more of a bottleneck then cpu.

+1

Parisonic
08-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Hello ,
This would be a very important feature to have from my point of view , and selectable for those would like to use and those who don't .
1 -Given the long load times on some Play libaries that Kontakt users always bring up when using 7200rpm drives .
2- Also the obvious memory footprint would be reduced , loading a complete Hollywood orchestra without shortcuts on articulations with 32 gigs of ram .
3- Having more mic positions realtime .
4- Hollywood series on a laptop would become more useable .

Would love to see Play have this ability in whatever form .

Thanks

blackcom
08-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Hello ,
This would be a very important feature to have from my point of view , and selectable for those would like to use and those who don't .
1 -Given the long load times on some Play libaries that Kontakt users always bring up when using 7200rpm drives .
2- Also the obvious memory footprint would be reduced , loading a complete Hollywood orchestra without shortcuts on articulations with 32 gigs of ram .
3- Having more mic positions realtime .
4- Hollywood series on a laptop would become more useable .

Would love to see Play have this ability in whatever form .

Thanks

It would probably use the same amount of RAM as FLAC would be decoded once loaded into RAM.

Parisonic
08-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey ,
Yeah true , memory wise you are correct , I need a 6 slot board now :)

mconnelly
08-14-2012, 06:51 AM
It would probably use the same amount of RAM as FLAC would be decoded once loaded into RAM.

There are compressed formats that can be stored in memory compressed and played back directly without decoding into another format in memory.

In general, there are different ways to compress audio, and different formats are optimized for different things, smallest size, lowest CPU demands, etc. Sound quality in the case of lossy compression, not an issue with lossless. For sampling it seems like low CPU is more important than absolute minimum size.

BruderTux
08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
sample compression might be a step forward. Disk I/O produces CPU load as well (irqs, ... ) so the performance cpu penalty might not be as big as just looking at the decompression algorithm alone.
In the video arena media must be compressed these days. The data rate for uncompressed HD or 4k video is just to high.

greetings
Florian

blackcom
08-14-2012, 06:21 PM
There are compressed formats that can be stored in memory compressed and played back directly without decoding into another format in memory.

In general, there are different ways to compress audio, and different formats are optimized for different things, smallest size, lowest CPU demands, etc. Sound quality in the case of lossy compression, not an issue with lossless. For sampling it seems like low CPU is more important than absolute minimum size.

I tought people wanted flac mainly to preserve ssd diskspace? Storing flac in ram would probably complicate the play engine in very high degree. Ram is not that expensive, ssd is...

mconnelly
08-15-2012, 07:16 AM
A compressed format done right should be able to save disk space and memory. Converting to another format is an extra step versus just playing back the compressed file. Adding any implementation of compression is going to complicate the playback engine, so if it ever happens, might as well do it in a way that can give the best performance.

Crown
09-01-2012, 05:27 AM
I agree. The Hollywood series require some serious compression formatting. It's annoying to find one bunch of libraries fill an entire hard disk.