PDA

View Full Version : Custom Keyswitching

Janicek
08-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Ability to set up our own keyswitch instruments so we can make base instruments that have the articulations of our choice mapped out.

michaelshumway
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd also like to see the ability to switch samples based on program change (custom multis) instead of just keyswitching

Janicek
08-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Without naming competitors, these are the kinds of things I have in mind.

Example 1 is really simple and elegant, such a shame Play cannot do this the same way.

Example 2 uses an Articulations Performer, basically its a multi with some kind of filter to switch between articulations. It allows you to assign two per keyswitch which you can crossfade between (eg Non Vib-Vib or anything).

gstitt
08-21-2012, 05:44 AM
I'd also like to see the ability to switch samples based on program change (custom multis) instead of just keyswitching

+1. Program changes work better with midi chase features.

Also, like the previous poster, I would like to see the control implemented by competitors (specifically the big V one).

Benji
09-14-2012, 07:26 AM
OHHH yes ! +1

Custom Keyswitches full on, all the way across the sky !

I would die for this feature, seriously.

For Cubase user, this would allow us to have a lot articulations on on single track using the Expression Map.
Right now my template is a bit messy with a track by articulation...

reddiesel41264
09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Until this is available in PLAY some of you may find this helpful - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EnuajyUU80

glissaud
10-14-2012, 05:34 AM
+1000 for custom keyswitches for loading single keyswitchless patches and saving as a custom multi-art instrument.

madstarr12
10-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Plus over 9000! This will definitely save space with the number of tracks I have. Example, for HS Violins 1, I usually need a legato track, a shorts track (staccato, spicatto, etc), an effects track (like tremolo) and a runs track and maybe other things from HS. Now do that for each section. On average about 20 tracks just for strings (more or less). This is also applied to HB and HOW (more or less, depending what instruments and articulations I need.) I know there are people with even larger amounts of tracks.....but i'm not them. I'd prefer a lower number if possible (i'm sure it's possible)

Now this i'm not sure about, but can one ever make a keyswitch that includes articulations like true legato with other things like shorts and effects? So far, none of the EW-made keyswitches include true legato. That script legato on sustains just sounds too fake unfortunately.

Plasuma!!!
10-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Expression maps in Cubase do this job just fine for me; there's only one track per instrument, hot damn!

However, for those who don't use Steinberg's pile o' 'meh', custom key switches would be a welcome addition. +1

williamhtrice
12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
A giant +1 for the ability to bank articulations and switch using program changes (my preferred choice) or key switches.

This would be a MASSIVE step up in how easy it is to integrate PLAY into a modern composer's template.

@Plasuma!!! - even with Expression maps you're limited to 16 articulations per track, which just isn't enough for HS / HB imho.

fibbergibbet
12-05-2012, 01:37 AM
I too have delved in Cubase's ability to use Expression maps to reduce track counts, but Custom Keyswitching would be a nice feature and provide a good alternative to using EMs (creating all those expression maps is darn time consuming!).

Casiquire
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I think it pretty much goes without saying that nearly all Play users will +1 this.

jackpheah
05-02-2013, 10:00 PM
This is number 1 on my list, hands down. This feature would make my template SIGNIFICANTLY more manageable. Set your own keyswitches, build your own multis, etc. And along these same lines, the ability do define your own CC controls. Say, for example, I want to have CC1 control dynamics of a tremolo patch in HS, rather than CC11.

oozles
05-13-2013, 06:51 PM
This would be fantastic for the Goliath VST. Especially in some of the guitars and pop brass instruments. +1

indiescore
05-30-2013, 11:22 PM
expanded key switching is at the Top of my list.......expression maps can't ks the non ks instruments in play....templates are way way to big to manage so forced to scale back using play in favor of other ks able libraries in order to balance , maintain efficient work flow.......

trumpoz
05-31-2013, 05:29 AM
expanded key switching is at the Top of my list.......expression maps can't ks the non ks instruments in play....templates are way way to big to manage so forced to scale back using play in favor of other ks able libraries in order to balance , maintain efficient work flow.......

I would love custom ks patches but you are wrong in regards to the expression maps not being able to KS non-KS patches. You can use expression maps to switch between midi chans - that is how I use them. Load up to 16 articulations in Play and create a map to switch between them.

Jose7822
05-31-2013, 08:58 AM
I would love custom ks patches but you are wrong in regards to the expression maps not being able to KS non-KS patches. You can use expression maps to switch between midi chans - that is how I use them. Load up to 16 articulations in Play and create a map to switch between them.

Yeap. That's how I use Expression Maps as well. And you can choose which keys to use on your MIDI controller to trigger the articulations. Just like you would on custom keyswitches.

In all honesty, I don't think Custom Keyswitches will be faster to set up than Expression Maps. I think they would take the same amount of effort since you can save your Expression Maps with your template or even recall them through presets. This feature will be more beneficial to non-Cubase users, IMO.

indiescore
05-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Yeap. That's how I use Expression Maps as well. And you can choose which keys to use on your MIDI controller to trigger the articulations. Just like you would on custom keyswitches.

In all honesty, I don't think Custom Keyswitches will be faster to set up than Expression Maps. I think they would take the same amount of effort since you can save your Expression Maps with your template or even recall them through presets. This feature will be more beneficial to non-Cubase users, IMO.

I like being wrong in this case, thanks guys, this is really helpful , I have 50 brass tracks ........will revise with expression maps.....:eguitar:

clruwe
07-18-2013, 11:16 AM
I think it pretty much goes without saying that nearly all Play users will +1 this.

+1