PDA

View Full Version : Open EWI Format for Third-Party Editing

gstitt
08-10-2012, 05:46 AM
If the format of the ewi files was open, third parties (i.e., skilled customers) could complement Play at no expense to EW. For example, the popular default mic position request could be taken care of by anyone by simply writing a script to change the ewi to change the mic position without having to manually select every instrument, which can take forever in a large template.

Even better, third parties could create editors, scripts, etc. to make Play do basically whatever we want. Sharing those tools on the forum would make Play incredibly flexible for everyone.

SJK
08-10-2012, 06:53 AM
+1 That could give back some flexibility (like with Kontakt)

aptmusic9
08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
+1

Jeff Hayat
08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
If the format of the ewi files was open, third parties (i.e., skilled customers) could complement Play at no expense to EW.

If the format of the ewi files was open, third parties (i.e., thieves) could steal the samples.

gstitt
08-10-2012, 03:05 PM
The samples files themselves are protected.

I am suggesting this openness because I made my own editor for a past version that was open. In fact, the current channel interface in Play looks surprisingly similar. :) This editor allowed me to reorder instruments, sort them by channel, duplicate instruments, copy and paste settings across instruments (e.g. mic positions), apply to changes to multiple instruments, assign sequential midi channels to selected instruments, etc. I'm sure there are 100s of other purposes that are low priorities for East West due to low demand, but critical to to the workflow of individuals.

Jeff Hayat
08-10-2012, 04:20 PM

???

The samples (ie the .wav files) are housed in the container - that's how they are protected. Remove them from the container (or allow people access to them), and they are no longer protected.

gstitt
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
???

The samples (ie the .wav files) are housed in the container - that's how they are protected. Remove them from the container (or allow people access to them), and they are no longer protected.

That isn't correct. The samples are contained in ews files. I haven't tried to reverse engineer these files, but I would guess they are protected wave files.

The ewi files simply reference the ews files. Therefore, there should be much less risk to open the ewi format. As I mentioned, I previously created an ewi editor and I did not ever have access to the actual samples.

Jose7822
08-10-2012, 08:37 PM

I am suggesting this openness because I made my own editor for a past version that was open. In fact, the current channel interface in Play looks surprisingly similar. :) This editor allowed me to reorder instruments, sort them by channel, duplicate instruments, copy and paste settings across instruments (e.g. mic positions), apply to changes to multiple instruments, assign sequential midi channels to selected instruments, etc. I'm sure there are 100s of other purposes that are low priorities for East West due to low demand, but critical to to the workflow of individuals.

Sometimes I don't understand how can a single person do all of this while a company, filled with developers, can't. Take Reaper for example, in such a short time they have superseded the top dawgs in various areas (though not all, to be fair) and this is all done by a very small team (maybe just one guy?)? The same applies to some freebie/cheap plugins that are available and rival even those developed by BIG companies such as Waves and UAD.

You would think that, with all the resources and money available to these BIG companies, there wouldn't even be a chance for these single developers to even dare release a competitive product. And please don't tell me that a single guy in his bedroom has more resources than a full blown company, cause that ain't happening. Can someone please explain to me what's the deal? Why does it take big companies so long to implement even the simplest of features?

gstitt
08-11-2012, 05:25 AM
I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but from EW's point of view, I'm not sure anyone else had requested this option so it is understandable that it would be a low priority for them.

I'd be happy to share my thoughts on your questions, but it would be best to do it in another thread.

Plasuma!!!
08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
+1 for an open instrument format. The samples can stay encrypted, I just want to write my own scripts to make the library suit me rather than adapt myself to all its quirks.

Jedinhopy
08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
How to normalize/maximize the volume of each sample individually?

Jose7822
08-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but from EW's point of view, I'm not sure anyone else had requested this option so it is understandable that it would be a low priority for them.

I'd be happy to share my thoughts on your questions, but it would be best to do it in another thread.

Good idea.

I have created a new thread in the General Forum, with a modified version of my post above, as to not derail this one. You can find it here:

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?p=711225#post711225

My apologies for the OT.

Take care!

gstitt
08-12-2012, 12:20 PM
No problem. To further motivate this suggestion, maybe we should start a list of all the extensions we could make to Play given an open EWI format. Obviously, it will never turn into a Skyrim-style mod community, but quite a few musicians have some decent-enough programming skills.

SpheresOfChaos
08-13-2012, 01:08 AM
+1 for an open ewi file format.

Plasuma!!!
08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
It will never turn into a Skyrim-style mod community.
You mean we'll never be able to turn PLAY into a waifu dress-up simulator? Aw, man...