PDA

View Full Version : User-definable symbols in WordBuilder

TGV
08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Allow the user to add symbols to the alphabet (at least to VOTOX, but possibly also to the other modes) with an associated sequence of VOTOX symbols, their positions on the time lines, and control lanes. This would allow easier entry of e.g. diphthongs.

The symbols defined by the user do not have to be saved with the patch or be exportable, since reprogramming them with enough information will take (relatively) little effort.

Plasuma!!!
08-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I'd prefer if the text entry was just removed entirely. It'd be easier to just place individual phonemes in a tempo-based timeline, create syllable groupings manually, and assign articulation types to those syllables in controller lanes without having to deal with strange symbols.

It'd also save all the headache with syllable edits resetting themselves whenever the phonemes are changed. I can't count how many times I've accidentally lost an hour of work by deleting one too many spaces.

TGV
08-12-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd prefer if the text entry was just removed entirely. It'd be easier to just place individual phonemes in a tempo-based timeline, create syllable groupings manually, and assign articulation types to those syllables in controller lanes without having to deal with strange symbols.
That would make it more difficult to enter syllables: if I have to place "cor" in the way you propose, I'd have to manually determine the length of all three phonemes and make them overlap properly. It would also make keyboard playing impossible.
It'd also save all the headache with syllable edits resetting themselves whenever the phonemes are changed. I can't count how many times I've accidentally lost an hour of work by deleting one too many spaces.
I totally agree with the first part: phonemes should maintain their settings and relative timing as long as possible.

About the second part: there is an undo in the WB editor, and it works also when you've deleted a space...

Plasuma!!!
08-12-2012, 04:04 AM
I can't use the raw wordbuilder phrases I play with a keyboard since it sounds unnatural no matter what I do, and so it always comes down to editing the MIDI to remedy that. That could be personal preference or a lack of skill, but I don't know a soul who doesn't spend a lot of time editing a vocal line to sound good, whether it's a real vocalist or a virtual one.

My first suggestion was more along the lines of a Vocaloid-like interface for wordbuilder [see below]. Select phonemes, place them in a sequencer, edit your performance to be perfect and have it sync with the host to hit all the words at the right time. I can't imagine a need for the choir to repeat only a part of a phrase unless you're using it for Latin gibberish, and in that case, you might have an easier time just bouncing the phrase and slicing it up.

The wordbuilder's undo functionality tends to cause instability in VSTi mode and I avoid using it (better to lose one hour of work and re-do some edits than to lose three and re-do the whole thing from scratch), so I just added that as kind of a complaint. That part of my suggestion would probably fit better with support more than here, so I won't dwell on it.