PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Licensing Method for Play

jspencer
08-14-2012, 09:14 AM
I know this is probably moot, but I am not a fan of iLok. Here are my issues...

1) Periodically when I open a saved project, all of the EW products that load come up with a "License Not Found" message. This is fixed by performing a system reboot, and reinserting the iLok.

2) Hasn't happened yet...but I'm dreading the day my iLok bites the dust or gets damaged. If I'm in the middle of a tight deadline, I am screwed.

I realize the need to prevent piracy, but perhaps EW could look at their own online licensing service or something? I preferred the old NI method of licensing, it was quick and just required the serial numbers from the DVD package and NI "Service Center" installed.

Plasuma!!!
08-14-2012, 12:28 PM
+1, agreed.

Dongles are unreliable for users. A once-only online activation scheme would be much welcome as an alternative.

BruderTux
08-14-2012, 12:28 PM
or simply using eLicenser (e.g. Steinberg/Vienna key) instead. One less dongle to worry about. dongles have their point though. You can easily install the library on several systems (laptop,desktop) to use alternately without having license issues.

pkm
08-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I'd probably prefer eLicenser too, but just like you already have an eLicenser, other users already have an iLok so there isn't much of a benefit in that respect. Most software that uses a challenge and response is easy to be cracked and we wouldn't want that to happen to EW.

Stefan Podell
08-15-2012, 11:08 AM
2) Hasn't happened yet...but I'm dreading the day my iLok bites the dust or gets damaged. If I'm in the middle of a tight deadline, I am screwed.

Buy an extra iLok for $40 and consider Zero Downtime (ZDT) from PACE or find out what EW's policy is on lost/destroyed licenses.

(Doesn't everyone have spare dongles yet? They're insanely cheap.)

jspencer
08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
$50 is insanely cheap?

Plasuma!!!
08-16-2012, 08:32 PM
(Doesn't everyone have spare dongles yet? They're insanely cheap.)
It's not like everyone who uses this software is a millionaire, but even if we were, one would think we'd be smarter about where we put our money and demands.

I have two spares because I anticipate one breaking, not because I like the idea. It would be nice not to have to worry about losing a day or a week of work time waiting for a support response because some shitty Chinese circuitry couldn't handle a brown-out. And believe me, iLoks are made from some serious Foxconn-level cheap shit, have you looked at the insides of these things? It's not even on par with a SanDisc bargain-bin flash drive.

peter5992
08-17-2012, 12:56 AM
I like the iLok - it gives me great flexibility to install EW on whatever computer I wish as long as I have the iLok plugged in.

Eastwest is very flexible with replacing lost iloks, and if you need 24/7 coverage there is the zero downtime program.

$50 is not nothing, but it is a small expenditure given the overal expense of running a studio. Consider it an insurance policy, or maybe cost of spare parts.

springverb
08-17-2012, 02:48 AM
I like the iLok - it gives me great flexibility to install EW on whatever computer I wish as long as I have the iLok plugged in.

Eastwest is very flexible with replacing lost iloks, and if you need 24/7 coverage there is the zero downtime program.

$50 is not nothing, but it is a small expenditure given the overal expense of running a studio. Consider it an insurance policy, or maybe cost of spare parts.

totally agree. .i'd like to have my DAW nowhere near the internet. i think ZDT is a must though.

i wasn't able to use Omnisphere till the first update just because the authorization tool would pop up everytime i run the plugin. .times like these make you wish every plugin had an ilok or Vienna key alternative.

i have these usb cables running from the back of computer case into it, so ilok/viennakey/etc are all plugged inside. keeps the dust away.

Plasuma!!!
08-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Compared to other software companies with insurance that costs nothing, and don't have to deal with third party licensing, it's unnecessary.

Imagine buying insurance for your vehicle, and then buying a dongle you have to plug-in to your vehicle that registers the insurance to your car. When that vehicle is wrecked or stolen, you not only have to wait for the agency to get back to you about transferring your insurance policy to your other car, but you have to make sure you have another dongle with you as well so the transfer can be made. It's like having only one license plate for many vehicles.

Really, if that happens, you better hope you didn't have any plans that week.

It's just needless. There is no way you can claim it benefits you in any way at all, so justifying the additional costs of maintaining the system is foolish. It's a form of extortion, and while it must be tolerated for now, the ideal is to get far away from it. Waves understands this.

jspencer
08-17-2012, 02:29 PM

What do you mean by zero downtime?

Wolf
08-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Detailed explanation here:

Pace iLok Zero Downtime (http://ilok.com/docs/zdt_terms.pdf)

jspencer
08-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Looks like another cash grab.

macuser
09-27-2012, 04:37 PM
1) Periodically when I open a saved project, all of the EW products that load come up with a "License Not Found" message. This is fixed by performing a system reboot, and reinserting the iLok.

Yes, in fact this is a serious issue I am facing, too (see other thread about Mountain Lion and PACE). I am running a lot of other iLok protected software (Celemony, Sonnox etc.) and none of them did ever "complain" about not finding the iLok. But EW PLAY does on a regular basis while loading a song.

EW should definitely look into other licensing methods, because itīs unacceptable that by simply closing and re-loading a track with various PLAY instances, the licenses are no longer recognized.

Plugin Alliance have shown how great other systems work, Waves have done it right by protecting their plugins with their own alternative, too - simply because there was way too much trouble with iLok / Pace (and as a long time Waves beta tester, I have to say that these issues were NEVER as bad as "License not found").

Please East West, either fix this problem (or force Pace to write correct drivers) - or switch to another licensing mode. The current one is disheartening.

Thanks
Tom

christerholm
09-28-2012, 09:13 AM
The Waves system is pretty handy, you have the "Licence cloud" and then you can move the licence to your HDD or to USB stick. And if it gets broken, you can restore it into the cloud, and put it on another hdd/stick and resume as ususal.

Ag75
09-29-2012, 04:44 AM
I think the ilok toggle should be included for free. I mean if its impossible to run with our it it should be included. They don't charge you to take off the security tag after you buy an expensive article of clothing. I think $50 for a toggle that probable cost 50Ē is a rip off.

My 2Ē.