PDA

View Full Version : A set of harps with programable glissandi

boulifb
08-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Just a dream...

A set of harps with programmable glissandi where you set the pedal, give the first note, the last note, speed, hand (left/right) and direction (up/down glissando) controllable. The pedal could be programmable on the fly through controller's values (ie CC1) and CC11 would control the velocity (from ppp to fff) and another CC for controlling the amount of humanization of the glissando.

flickerflix
08-16-2012, 01:45 AM
+1

lejmer
08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Yes. A set of harps! Both harps having every string recorded natural, flat and sharp, and having patches where you program the pedals so that the keys of the keyboard correspond to the strings of the harp. That way we can no longer write music that is impossible to play on the harp (if we stay within the ranges that the hands can normally reach). And having a set of harps would be wonderful! I have always wanted to be able to write for two harps with samples without the need to tweek them to death for them to sound like they are both within the same space!

gstitt
08-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I wonder if anyone has made a programmable gliss program that does what you suggest, but outputs midi that could be imported into any program or library. That would be useful.

Annabelle
08-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Doesn't Symphonic Orchestra have that with its harps, I wonder?

RozenHeim
08-18-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm all for a SET of harps. Sonically, make sure they've got some body, sparkle, and a good overall character. It's a huge disappointment whenever a sampled harp sounds too much like guitar and carries none of the definitive characteristics for which harps are so desired.

Effects would be AWESOME too! Sound of the pedals, nail plucks, hyper drones, the sound of the finger as it plucks a resonating string, and bisbigliando too!

Annabelle
08-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm all for a SET of harps. Sonically, make sure they've got some body, sparkle, and a good overall character. It's a huge disappointment whenever a sampled harp sounds too much like guitar and carries none of the definitive characteristics for which harps are so desired.

Effects would be AWESOME too! Sound of the pedals, nail plucks, hyper drones, the sound of the finger as it plucks a resonating string, and bisbigliando too!
What's bisbigliando?

gstitt
08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Doesn't Symphonic Orchestra have that with its harps, I wonder?

SO has pre-recorded glissandi, but they aren't programmable. If you want a custom gliss, you still have to slide your finger across the keyboard. I lost a lot of skin doing this until I discovered a pen or stick works much better. :)

RozenHeim
08-19-2012, 04:43 PM
What's bisbigliando?

Bisbigliando is a style of "double plucking". The harpist will pluck a single string and then immediately pluck it a second time with either the thumb or a different finger (depends on the fingering of what they're playing). It's basically a fingered tremolo, but on the harp.

jamwerks
08-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Yeah do 2 harps in the same vein as the company from London, but in the great sounding EW studios !

cmjames88
09-09-2012, 08:47 AM
An East West harp library with the ability to program a glissandi would be incredibly useful.