PDA

View Full Version : HOW Legato

lejmer
08-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi there,

First of all, I love HOW. Every instrument has a wonderful wonderful tone and it just sounds good. BUT. And it's a big but. There are problems with the legato transitions in some instruments. This is fixable though, and I will explain why below, but if we don't tell EW and they don't notice all of it themselves, it will take a while before they get to fixing it. Hence this post.

Okay, so basically every instrument has some flaws in the legato transitions (even more so than HB had in the beginning, but it might just be that woodwinds are more exposed so it's easier to hear the mistakes). A basic form with legato transitions would be "Sustained Sample A -> Legato Transition -> Sustained Samble B". Let's call them susA, leg and susB. The main problem I hear so far is what sounds like susA is fading out too quickly, or too early on alot of notes, resulting in a very harsh attack on the next note, when leg comes in. The transitions from leg to susB is always very nice. Very few notes sound weird from leg to susB. It is only susA to leg that has these issues as far as I can hear.

Also, worth noting is that I have only been using the Legato Auto-Tempo Full Al-Niente patches so far. These are very important patches though, so if this is specific to these patches, then it is still very important to get this sorted out.

Okay, so I know they are fixable because when you are in the articulations window in Play (not the browser, that is), you see that there are three articulations loaded on each of these patches. Sustain samples, legato transitions and release trails. If we deactivate the sustains and the release trails, we can hear the legato samples on their own. I did that, and heard that there is enough recorded data to crossfade realistically in almost every note. This is how I know that this issue is for the most part very fixable. And this is good, because that means in due time we will get this fixed (at least if EW continues the way they have done in the past).

To demonstrate the jerky, unrealistic legato transitions that I have been talking about here, I mocked up the intro to Anakins Theme, by John Williams, with this library. I did not use any programming except for the initial dynamics and vibrato settings. I did it this way to demonstrate what it sounds like without anything masking the transitions. They needed to be as exposed as possible.

Here is a link to this mockup. First we hear the full arrangement, then we hear each group of instruments separate. It is all played through the decca tree (the Main mic position, not the Mids):

https://www.box.com/s/b93a43babd1f5e0252d7

I am very happy with my purchase so far, and I have to say I have never in my life heard a bassoon with such a beautiful tone in a sample library before. I am very excited about this library, and very impressed! Keep up the good work, EW!

Best regards,
Anthony

admin
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Which version are you using, the latest instrument update 1.0.2?

lejmer
08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes, I am. Installed it an hour or so after you released it. Did the same with 1.0.1 when you released that. So I am sure I have all the updates.

You CAN get around it by doing some extra work though (dipping CC11 during the transitions manually), but it should be possible for you guys to fix it, even if it may take you some time (I imagine this would be alot of work since you have to do it for all mic positions, and alla legato patches on all dynamics).

Just wanted to make it known so that it doesn't go unnoticed. :)

admin
08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes, I am. Installed it an hour or so after you released it.

You CAN get around it by doing some extra work though (dipping CC11 during the transitions manually), but it should be possible for you guys to fix it even if it takes time. Just wanted to make it known. :)

What we need are specifics, please send these to me by PM and we'll investigate.

Also, I've never heard the library sound anything like that example, so please send us the midi-file also.

lejmer
08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
What we need are specifics, please send these to me by PM and we'll investigate.

Also, I've never heard the library sound anything like that example, so please send us the midi-file also.

Alright, I'll send you a midi file with everything in it.

devastat
09-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I think that there is a problem in some HOW legato instruments that the legato transitions are way too loud. A good example of this is the Flute 2 patch for example - if I play this in a composition, all the legato transitions are very "heavy" as they get exaggerated by the high volume. I wish that this is something that EW would pay attention to in the future updates. At the moment it makes me not want to use the Flute 2 - even I'd like to - as the legato transitions are so loud that it makes the instrument playing sound very "clumsy".

madstarr12
09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I think that there is a problem in some HOW legato instruments that the legato transitions are way too loud.

This, I've noticed this especially for the Clarinets. The Legato doesn't make a smooth transition into the sustained, one can easily tell when the legato samples end and the sustained starts and it doesn't sound natural.

devastat
09-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes, I definitely think that there is some major problems with the legato transitions with a lot of instruments in HOW - the more I use it, the more it becomes an issue. I truly hope that EW is working hard on improving these legato transitions and making them more smooth. At the moment it is quite a bumpy ride..