PDA

View Full Version : Pianos

Annabelle
09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
What do you think of this? How would it be if Eastwest were to make an instrument devoted to pianos of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, as well as the prepared piano? That would be cool if they could add that to Quantum Leap Pianos. Or maybe they could make something like Hollywood Pianos.

jspencer
09-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Could you really tell the difference?

Annabelle
09-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Could you really tell the difference?
Sure you can, via this comparison.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Frederic_Chopin_-_Opus_25_-_Twelve_Grand_Etudes_-_c_minor.ogg
and
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Frederic_Chopin_-_etude_no._12_in_c_minor%2C_op._25.ogg

RozenHeim
09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Already been done by RealSamples. They have a lovely collection of piano samples by the esteemed maker Erard. Their ventures also include samplings of a Square Piano, Ravel Piano, Piano Forte, and several harpsichords... And a spinet, I think... Honestly, when it comes to historic pianos, it doesn't get much better than Erard.

Med8r
09-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Of all the things EWQL could do, I'm pretty sure this is close to the end of the list. True, there may be a difference in sound between modern pianos and pianos of the past. But the difference is negligible, and the average composer/digital musician just isn't going to want to spend any time or money on it. Why? Because average people, who don't listen much to old pianos, aren't going to notice the difference in a score. They'll think "Hey, a piano", and never think twice about what kind of piano it might be.

And so, since QL Pianos is already a fantastic piano sample library, I think it's very unlikely that EWQL will be doing anything with pianos for years.

Dominik Raab
09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
And so, since QL Pianos is already a fantastic piano sample library, I think it's very unlikely that EWQL will be doing anything with pianos for years.

Very true. Although I think they could give pop pianos a shot as a part of the new series they're planning. You never know :)

tayloran9
09-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Well there was certainly a big difference in sound from those two examples posted but I would assume the cost of sampling the old pianos would not be financially viable, I don't think there would be a big market for it? However, a definitive prepared piano library from EastWest would be fantastic. There's some prepared sounds in Stormdrum 2 but it only scratches the surface (pun half intended) of the sounds you can get. I think there would be a big market for that.

Annabelle
09-23-2012, 03:26 AM
Any other voters out there? So far, the first option has the winning vote!

Annabelle
09-29-2012, 06:11 AM
That'd be cool if they could also include Grand Pianos from companies like Baldwin, as well as some of the 7-foot models like the Steinway B and the Yamaha C3. Maybe they could include the piano that Elton John plays in his music. By the way, is that one the Yamaha C3?

Annabelle
10-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Any other voters out there? Seems like the first option is winning, but there's only 8 votes so far!

christerholm
10-04-2012, 12:22 AM
What is what in those demos? :) Think the first one is "older" becase it sounds a lot worse :)

Annabelle
10-04-2012, 05:38 AM
What is what in those demos? :) Think the first one is "older" becase it sounds a lot worse :)
Glad you asked. The first one is an Erard piano made in 1851. The second one is a modern piano, but I'm not sure which company made it. And, what did you mean when you said, it sounds a lot worse? Are you saying it was out of tune? I'm confused!
:confused:

christerholm
10-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Just that it sounds old and worn, a bit noisy, not the kind of sound I would use, but I bet some would :)

Annabelle
10-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Any other voters out there? Any other suggestions for additions to Pianos?

Annabelle
10-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Any new voters out there? This pole is always open.

hittjett
10-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Hmmmmm. . . .why would you want an 18th/19th century piano? I mean crap, there's a reason they made the instruments better in the 20th century. Reminds me of a cartoon in the Economist many years ago: A group of doctors holding strange, wicked, medieval looking instruments is standing around a patient. They proclaim, "We are the London consort of period surgeons. We perform authentic operations using period instruments." What's wrong with the Bösendofer 290?

Annabelle
10-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Hmmmmm. . . .why would you want an 18th/19th century piano? I mean crap, there's a reason they made the instruments better in the 20th century. Reminds me of a cartoon in the Economist many years ago: A group of doctors holding strange, wicked, medieval looking instruments is standing around a patient. They proclaim, "We are the London consort of period surgeons. We perform authentic operations using period instruments." What's wrong with the Bösendofer 290?
Nothing's wrong whatsoever. I'm just wondering if people might be interested in hearing pianos made back then in their music. And I'm certainly one of those people who wants to try it.

Annabelle
10-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Any other voters out there? So far there's only the first option that's been voted on, and it's gone up to 15 votes.

Annabelle
11-03-2012, 10:56 AM
How about the tack piano? Like the one in this recording. http://www.synthogy.com/demos/play/d2011-06-03b.html

Annabelle
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
What do the square piano and Ravel piano sound like, I wonder?

Annabelle
12-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Any voters out there? It seems this pole is still only at 15 votes, and it's a 100% count for the first option.

Annabelle
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder, how many votes would we need to have these new additions released? Currently, there are 18 votes, with the first option winning. The second option has 0 votes.

Annabelle
01-22-2013, 06:29 AM
This pole now has over 1000 views, but still has 20 votes, with all of them being on the first option. Any other voters out there?

Oliver.M
01-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Haha I'm the only one who voted for Hollywood Pianos. Now I think it would be best if they were a part of quantum leap pianos! Whoops.

TGV
01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Your "vote" doesn't make sense. They can't/won't expand an existing product, and an Erard is not really what I'd call Hollywood. Plus, the number of people that is interested in such a sound is just too small.

interpolate
01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
What about Hollywood one cliche's done in famous actors voices?

Annabelle
02-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Any other voters out there?

jspencer
02-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Neat idea, but there probably wouldn't be enough consumers to make the production cost worthwhile.

Annabelle
03-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Neat idea, but there probably wouldn't be enough consumers to make the production cost worthwhile.

Could you please explain what you mean? Are you saying that my suggestions are a neat Idea, but the cost wouldn't be worthwhile to produce recordings of older style pianos? I'm confused!

jspencer
03-02-2013, 07:13 PM
What I mean is.....it would be cool to have those types of pianos, but IMO there wouldn't be enough people buying it because it's an obscure request. It would involve locating, purchasing and transporting the pianos the EW studios, plus the production, marketing and manufacturing costs. I'm not even sure if they would find those vintage pianos, they are probably rare (and therefore a high price tag). So if the cost to make the library is $100,000 for example, and they only sell a hundred copies at $500 each, they have lost a ton of money.

Annabelle
03-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Any other voters out there? There are currently 25 votes, with the first option having 21, and the second option having 4. There are over 1000 views.

Casiquire
03-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Just my opinion, but I voted for the first option because I don't think they're coming out with a Hollywood Pianos. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be a bit redundant since QL Pianos is already so complete.

Khaled Hamdy
03-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Worth the money

Med8r
03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Just my opinion, but I voted for the first option because I don't think they're coming out with a Hollywood Pianos. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be a bit redundant since QL Pianos is already so complete.

This is correct. I'd be highly surprised if they did anything with a piano focus for quite a while. And yes, they've made it pretty clear that the Hollywood series is ending with Percussion.

The special/rare pianos sound interesting, but there's really just not going to be enough of a market for them. EW would be spending lots of money without a strong possibility of even breaking even (let alone profit).

Casiquire
03-17-2013, 03:55 AM
And yes, they've made it pretty clear that the Hollywood series is ending with Percussion.

Not to derail the topic, but there was some rumor of doing something with Choirs--is this just the rumor mill or does anybody know if there was any truth to that?

Anyway I agree, there are already other prepared/special pianos out there and the demand isn't all that high. Not that I wouldn't love to see this happen, of course!

Med8r
03-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Not to derail the topic, but there was some rumor of doing something with Choirs--is this just the rumor mill or does anybody know if there was any truth to that?

Hmm, I'm not sure on that one. Something could be in the works, but between HOP, Forbidden Planet, Solo Cello, Stormdrum 3 and the Master Collection thing, it seems like they've got their hands full for the time being.

Casiquire
03-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure on that one. Something could be in the works, but between HOP, Forbidden Planet, Solo Cello, Stormdrum 3 and the Master Collection thing, it seems like they've got their hands full for the time being.

This is the reason I'm all giddy with anticipation lately...ha! Can't wait to start hearing some of this stuff.

Annabelle
04-10-2013, 02:32 PM
And I sure can't wait till Play 4 becomes available. Hopefully it will have screen reader accessibility for blind customers with screen readers like JAWS (Job Access With Speech) and Voiceover.

Annabelle
04-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Any other voters out there? The first option still has the winning vote.

Annabelle
04-24-2013, 03:53 AM
One thing I'd also like to see is release noises (Key releases and pedal up/down samples". This would bring out the natural character of the pianos themselves.

Annabelle
05-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Any voters out there? There are currently 30 votes, with the first option winning.

Annabelle
06-30-2013, 06:31 AM
32 votes and counting, with the first option winning! I hope these suggestions become a reality one day!

Annabelle
07-15-2013, 01:05 AM
What exactly is a Ravel piano? Does it sound different from something like a Steinway?

Emmanuel
07-15-2013, 01:36 AM
One thing I'd also like to see is release noises (Key releases and pedal up/down samples". This would bring out the natural character of the pianos themselves.

I've dabble lately with Galaxy vintage-d, that's one hell of a piano library there that has exactly what you are talking about. I sure would like to see those added to Pianos, but that would mean they would need to record them and that's a complex thing to do once the hardware setup is taken down.

Annabelle
07-15-2013, 09:08 PM
I wonder what a square piano sounds like? Is it like a grand piano? I'm confused!

Emmanuel
07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
I wonder what a square piano sounds like? Is it like a grand piano? I'm confused!

Heu? where did you hear that?

Annabelle
07-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Heu? where did you hear that?
Refer to Post #4 in this thread. Someone mentioned a square piano and a Ravel piano.

Emmanuel
07-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Ah okay, I guess he means this for the square piano
http://www.mcq.org/code/medias/images/gp/sa-piano-table.jpg

And probably the type of piano Ravel mostly played on.. which was a Steinway-d I think

Annabelle
07-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I wonder if there's a grand piano that has the characteristic sound of one that's played in a saloon?

pkm
07-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Like an out of tune grand tack piano? That would be kinda cool actually!

Annabelle
07-19-2013, 03:36 AM
#$ VOTERS AND COUNTING< WITH THE FIRST OPTION HAVING THE MAJORITY! I hope someday these options will be released as either part of a new Hollywood Pianos or as additions to Quantum Leap Pianos.

Annabelle
07-25-2013, 08:23 AM
35 votes and counting. And I bet that because the first option has the majority vote with 28 votes, it's the one that's going to win by far! Does anyone have any other suggestions for additions? Feel free to chime in and/or vote.

Annabelle
08-03-2013, 04:23 PM
How would I increase ratings and get more votes? Currently there are 37 votes, with the first option winning with a count of 29. The second option only has 8 votes.

Emmanuel
08-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Post a link for this on facebook?

Annabelle
08-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Post a link for this on facebook?

I don't have Facebook, but I do have Myspace, and a Youtube channel as well.

Emmanuel
08-03-2013, 09:57 PM
I don't have Facebook, but I do have Myspace, and a Youtube channel as well.

:eek: :p

Takes 5 minutes to make a facebook page :P. Youtube is great for promotional work, myspace is.. well okay haven't used it for years so I can't say if it's gotten better. But if you want to reach people out easily, Facebook is a must. But that is beside the point really. Use what you have to reach the most people to comment here, and maybe if they see the potential (and I'm speaking $$) they might decide to do it.

Annabelle
08-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Any other suggestions for additions that you would like to see?

Annabelle
09-01-2013, 08:22 AM
How about pianos from Baldwin, Mason and Hamlin, Chickering and Sons, Steingraeber & Söhne, Monington and Weston, and Broadwood And Sons.

pkm
09-01-2013, 09:06 AM
How about pianos from Baldwin, Mason and Hamlin, Chickering and Sons, Steingraeber & Söhne, Monington and Weston, and Broadwood And Sons.

I'd rather they focus on one piano and do it really, really well than do 15 different pianos. It's quality over quantity.

Annabelle
09-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd rather they focus on one piano and do it really, really well than do 15 different pianos. It's quality over quantity.

Which one of those 15 do you think would be the best one?

pkm
09-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Something with vibe. Something older, recorded through vintage mics, tape, etc. Something that has a unique feel. With a smallish footprint (around maybe 1GB of RAM when fully loaded). Something that has its own sound, not too clean, not too precise.

Maybe under their "Master Series" brand.

I'm doing a TV show now that needs lots of cool vibey sounds of the soul/RnB era. I think the market is saturated with Steinways meant for orchestras, and it's the more unique piano sounds that find their way into my scores.

Annabelle
09-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Something with vibe. Something older, recorded through vintage mics, tape, etc. Something that has a unique feel. With a smallish footprint (around maybe 1GB of RAM when fully loaded). Something that has its own sound, not too clean, not too precise.

Maybe under their "Master Series" brand.

I'm doing a TV show now that needs lots of cool vibey sounds of the soul/RnB era. I think the market is saturated with Steinways meant for orchestras, and it's the more unique piano sounds that find their way into my scores.

Are you thinking maybe a piano with that percussive attack, like a tack piano? Or are you thinking a piano that sounds like something along the lines of Floyd Cramer?

Annabelle
09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
39 votes and counting, with the first option winning by a long shot! How many of you agree with me that these may eventually be added as an update to Quantum Leap Pianos?

trumpoz
09-11-2013, 08:39 PM
I hate to burst your bubble Annabelle but I honestly think that there is 0 chance of this happening.

39 people are interested enough to vote...... given that the customer base for EW is in the thousands the percentage of people who have voted for this is negligable. Nothing more than a rounding error.