PDA

View Full Version : Detailed tutorials

TGV
09-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Not really an instrument, but it's related, and I haven't seen it requested yet...

I've seen quite a few people ask for detailed tutorials. A few developers have them, and they seem to be fulfill a great need. I know that the first time you encounter a product the size of SO, SC, HS, etc., it can be very frustrating to get it to sound half decent. So a few tutorials per product that
- describe the most important patches of the library
- show how CC1 and CC11 work
- give concrete and useful examples of layering
- discuss EQ and dynamics processing
- perhaps even one that shows basic keyswitching techniques
- and a few accompanying MIDI files
could make a lot of people happy.

kameronr
09-30-2012, 07:35 AM
I agree. I can read the manual all day long, but seeing (hearing) something demonstrated would be so much more helpful. Sometimes I listen to music from others on this forum and think, "How did the get it to sound like that?" Having some midi files available to analyze would help reduce the learning curve dramatically.

hittjett
10-24-2012, 12:52 AM
These are EXCELLENT suggestions!

Med8r
10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
I whole-heartedly agree. I really liked the introduction videos to Hollywood Strings, and how they seemed to give you an idea of what to expect and how to get started. Something that follows and continues that train of thought in more detail would be very welcome and a sure success.

boulifb
10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Indeed, that's a good idea.

Plasuma!!!
10-28-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd love more tutorials, yeah! +1

oleJoergensen
10-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Great Idea!

peter5992
10-29-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd like that too, I think it would probably make sense for a third party to step up to the plate here and work on a series, in collaboration with EW, maybe like the mac pro vide guys; but it should obviously be mac / pc / linux (for all platforms).

Thera
10-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Tutorials to give an insight into the different products are always a plus. Spectrasonics did a good job pre and post release with Omnisphere, showing it's capacity and range of possibilities - not tutorials, but certainly inspiring.

aptmusic9
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm considering releasing a course on HS/HB/HOW and/or Cubase. Possibly hours worth of videos revealing some tips and tricks specifically aimed at film composers and people using EW products. I have to see if EW or Steinberg would have any objection to it. But if people are interested and willing to pay a small fee for the course, its something I might consider doing. If EW wants to publicly endorse it or host it on their site, that would encourage me even further.

I also give private consultations and training sessions via Skype or phone. PM for details.

madstarr12
10-31-2012, 12:47 AM
Yes. This must be done. Many people may not fully understand the secrets behind the different uses of each instrument, and it'll be nice to find them out. Who knows?

Jose7822
10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes, tutorials would be nice.

I would love to see how EWQL uses these libraries in an actual project rather than simply showing us what they sound like. I already know what the library can do, but I would much rather see what a pro can do with them (if that makes sense).

WestonBouchér
02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
I agree it would be so helpful to have some tutorials as there's very little on youtube to learn from. I'd pay for a basics course as I'm spending so much time trying to overcome obstacles due to my lack of performance knowledge with HS and Logic. For example right now I'm hung up on a song because I can't get notes that are legato slur to lead from one note to the next without an unnatural bow sound so I have to tweak each midi note length in logic editor window to try and mask it.

fabianzauberer
03-16-2013, 06:49 AM
And if Nick or Thomas don't want to show their secrets, they could just pay Alex Pfeffer or some other YT-Guru to show those things!