PDA

View Full Version : World Instruments

Annabelle
10-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I wonder, how would it be to have a library that combines the instruments from RA, Gypsy and Silk, along with some other interesting world instruments,
like bullroarers, clapsticks, conch shells, and blown bottles?

Med8r
10-18-2012, 08:12 PM
It sounds cool, but I would personally prefer the more focused, SILK-like approach to world/ethnic instruments. When they focus in on just two or three ethnic areas/styles, like they did with SILK, you might not get as many instruments, but you will get much better quality and deeper sampling. That's one reason why SILK's instruments are so much better than Ra's Far Eastern instruments, and I think in the long run, keeping that smaller-scale, more focused approach will be more beneficial and cost-effective.

Also, it seems clear to me that the Hollywood Series is going to end with Hollywood Orchestral Percussion, next spring, and that there probably will not be any Hollywood Choirs, Pianos, or World Instruments. Frankly, I'm glad. Sure, the Hollywood Series is unbelievably detailed and extremely professional sounding. But they also take a lot longer to produce, and are much more resource-intensive (not to mention expensive), and I'll be glad when EWQL moves on to other things. That way, it becomes less about the hype of how great the Hollywood Series is (and comparing it to the competitors), and becomes more about the products themselves.

Annabelle
10-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Any other voters out there? So far, I'm the only one who has voted on this pole.

Annabelle
11-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, bullroarers are originally from Africa, clapsticks come from Australia, and conch shells and blown bottles are most likely from the Americas. Anybody have any pointers on that one?

Annabelle
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder, how many votes would we need to have these new additions released? Currently, there are 57 votes, with the first option having the majority. The first option has only 1 vote, with the third one having only 1 vote.

Annabelle
08-06-2013, 08:57 PM
That would be cool if some of the world instruments could be rare ones that haven't been recorded before. How many of you agree with me? By the way, everybody on this forum is free to vote on this pole, as well as any of the other poles I've made.

C4L88
08-07-2013, 04:13 AM
It sounds cool, but I would personally prefer the more focused, SILK-like approach to world/ethnic instruments...and I think in the long run, keeping that smaller-scale, more focused approach will be more beneficial and cost-effective.

+1
A really focused approach will probably give you more instruments and greater detail for sure. SILK vs Ra is great example when you look at the China group in SILK and the Far East group in Ra. While Ra also has some Japanese and Indonesian instruments (Shakuhachi and Gamelans), SILK's China group has a vast amount more, and any of the same instruments, such as the erhu, SILK practically blew out of the water.
The other benefit of this is that it would allow us as consumers to choose the particular regions as we want. For instance, I rarely used any of the Africa sounds in Ra. I tend not to see myself in spots where I need the pitched instruments, and I have SD2 Pro and SD3, so I don't need the drums. Therefore, if they made a SILK-esque Africa library, I most likely wouldn't buy it, but for other regions, I would be all over it.
If were to planning buying every single one of these individual locations, it may not end up the most cost-efficient as the consumer, but as I said, you will most likely get more instruments and detail.

I can also say that it would make no sense for these end up in SILK, simply because they aren't from the Silk Road countries it is based after :D

Annabelle
08-07-2013, 06:40 AM
I know RA has a section for "Americas", but interestingly enough, that section includes the didgeridoo, which is actually Australian! I wonder if there can be a section devoted to Australia, that would be separate from the Americas. Maybe they can record some percussion that was used in the music of the first Australians. That can be put there along with the didgeridoo.

Eastward_In_Eden
08-07-2013, 07:36 AM
...Crumhorn... ? ... or Conch Shell... ? ;)

Annabelle
09-01-2013, 08:37 AM
When I looked at the Europe section of RA, one instrument I didn't see is the bodhrán. I found a frame drum, but I'm not sure if that's the same instrument. Here's another one, the cipín.

pkm
09-01-2013, 09:09 AM
When I looked at the Europe section of RA, one instrument I didn't see is the bodhrán. I found a frame drum, but I'm not sure if that's the same instrument. Here's another one, the cipín.

A bodhran is a type of frame drum. Cipin is the name of the beater.

TerraSin
09-23-2013, 06:42 AM
I can't really see voting on this because there are many instruments I'd like to see done that don't really fit. Things like European instruments that are somewhat forgotten such as different styles of Lute which was sadly not included in RA.

I think if they did record these, they would end up being stand alone rather than addons to existing libraries and they aren't really "Hollywood" type instruments.

flickerflix
09-23-2013, 02:17 PM
There are also lots of basic samples of world instruments, some of which Soundsonline sells. I would certainly like to see more libraries like Silk, where there are performances as well as samples.

MPDmike
09-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Good world instrument libraries are useful for adding some ethnic authenticity to a score. But as it is less likely that the user will be familiar with the playing techniques of such instruments, there is an opportunity here for offering comprehensive examples of the way these instruments are normally played, so that they can be used without having to spend lots of time studying their technicalities.

C4L88
09-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Good world instrument libraries are useful for adding some ethnic authenticity to a score. But as it is less likely that the user will be familiar with the playing techniques of such instruments, there is an opportunity here for offering comprehensive examples of the way these instruments are normally played, so that they can be used without having to spend lots of time studying their technicalities.

Yup, that's why I agree with flickerflix.

Performances only would be very limiting on true creativity in my opinion, but it is an important learning tool. Learn it, and then use regular, non-performance samples to create your own! :D
They did it with some of the instruments on SD3, where the higher keys play performances so you can get an idea of the usual grooves these types of drums play. Really helpful stuff.