PDA

View Full Version : Pitch shifting in Play 3

jfuchs23
10-20-2012, 09:44 AM
I'd like to see an option to set master tuning for all instances of Play 3 running in "sync" with each other,
so I could tune the play 3 plugin for Hollywood Strings' violins down a half step and have all other Play 3 instruments do the same.

Much like the option to set reverb to be running on all instances simultaneously, this would greatly speed up the time it takes me to audition my compositions in different keys.
I could always re-write the piece in a different key, but this is a much faster option.

At the moment I use a pitch shifting plugin on the master track of my sequencer, but using Play 3's master tuning brings a much more pleasing sound.

jspencer
10-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I think you would get better results by doing a global MIDI transpose in your DAW, that way you would be affecting the pitch off the original string sample.

gstitt
10-21-2012, 06:26 AM
I agree about the midi transpose suggestion. Communication between VST instances is not possible on current DAWs, so EW would have to get pretty creative to implement it.

jspencer
10-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I think you would get better results by doing a global MIDI transpose in your DAW, that way you would be affecting the pitch off the original string sample.

Actually, I meant that a transpose would NOT affect the pitch of the sample itself :)

jfuchs23
10-21-2012, 07:51 PM
While a global midi transpose is a viable solution, it loses some of its usefulness when the lowest note of an instrument's part passes it's lowest sample. The next instrument down must play that note instead and different instrumentation can change the sound of the piece, sometimes drastically. While realism may be maintained by the midi transpose option, workarounds must often be used.

In response to gstitt's reply, I'm confused by why you think this is so. The version of Play 3 for Hollywood Strings and Hollywood Brass are already able to use a "master reverb" setting with the built in reverb engine. It's unknown to me why the controls for master tuning(coarse or fine)couldn't have a similar option.

gstitt
10-22-2012, 06:31 AM
In response to gstitt's reply, I'm confused by why you think this is so. The version of Play 3 for Hollywood Strings and Hollywood Brass are already able to use a "master reverb" setting with the built in reverb engine. It's unknown to me why the controls for master tuning(coarse or fine)couldn't have a similar option.

Unless I'm missing something, the feature you are referring to is a master reverb for all instruments within one instance. Master tuning could definitely have a similar option. The original post referred to multiple instances, not multiple instruments in one instance. To my knowledge, VST does not directly support communication between instances.

Jeff Hayat
10-22-2012, 09:56 PM
I'd like to see an option to set master tuning for all instances of Play 3 running in "sync" with each other

100% impossible. This would have to be a feature of your sequencer - not the VST instrument. You are basically asking the EW program team to write code so that one instance of PLAY interacts with and "talks to" another. No sequencer allows you to connect, or route one loaded .dll file to another. At least not that I know of. In any regard, that connecting - or routing - would be a function of the app that is hosting PLAY - not PLAY itself.

To my knowledge, VST does not directly support communication between instances.

There is another way of putting it.

Cheers. :)

jfuchs23
10-26-2012, 02:52 PM
My mistake. Thanks.