PDA

View Full Version : Selective save

PigSlop
11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I use Sonar with several PLAY instances loaded at once. This is a new setup for me since moving from Gigastudio (standalone). With Giga, saving the project in Sonar took around 3 seconds, since the samples were loaded into another application and all Sonar had to do was save the MIDI/audio data associated with the project.

Now, however, Sonar presumably tells every loaded VST to save its state. I would assume each instance of PLAY would save which instruments are loaded as well as all settings and parameters for each instrument. Do this for 100+ instruments and it's no wonder saving the Sonar project takes 30-45 seconds to save and the Sonar project files are now 200-300k instead of 10-15k.

Getting to the point:
It would be nice if PLAY had the ability to quickly check if any parameters had been changed, and save only those changes. Many times I don't change anything in PLAY once I have it set up and it still takes Sonar a while to save the project. Or, allow us to manually bypass the save instruction from the host (if this is even possible).

This issue is one of several reasons why I'm not particularly fond of the VST workflow. How about a monolithic PLAY engine that could run outside of the sequencer? :)

aptmusic9
11-13-2012, 01:42 PM
well do we know if this problem lies with the VST? I would think its a problem that lies with the DAW. Otherwise every plugin developer on the planet would need to rewrite their code to speed up save times.

Cubase has this problem, and i think every DAW does. The only solution at the moment is Vienna Ensemble Pro. VEP has a decouple feature which lets you save the template once separate from the DAW project file, and then your save times become seconds instead of minutes.

Jeff Hayat
11-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I would assume each instance of PLAY would save which instruments are loaded as well as all settings and parameters for each instrument.

Ok, hold on a sec. It's not instances of PLAY that saves instruments and their params; it's the sequencer. Those instruments and their params are saved within the project; not within PLAY (nor Kontakt, etc.). Remember - when you load PLAY inside a sequencer, it's nothing more than a .dll file; it's not it's own application. It is at the mercy of the host, and any limitations the host has will show in PLAY. But it's not PLAY's fault; you can in fact save instruments and params in PLAY standalone.

It would be nice if PLAY had the ability to quickly check if any parameters had been changed, and save only those changes.

Yes it would, but again, this is done within the sequencer.

How about a monolithic PLAY engine that could run outside of the sequencer?

As aptmusic said, this would be VEPro. There are other ways of connecting PLAY to your sequencer - I think. Plogue's Bidule is one, and there is something else, but I can't remember the name.

Cheers.

peter5992
11-13-2012, 11:00 PM
You can save an instance of Play as an *.ewi file, but normally Play settings are saved as part of the DAW program file. It varies from program to program how they are saved; for Sibelius eg you have to make sure to save it as part of the playback configuration (the ewi file is saved as part of the playback configuration folder).