PDA

View Full Version : Do you have your music computer connected to the internet?

Ranietz
05-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi.

I was jus wondering about how many here have they're music computer connected to the internet? And if you do, do you have some problems because of that?

The reason why I ask is that I now have the chance to have a high speed connection, and I'll probably connect my music computer to the internet. Hopefully there won't be any problems but who knows...

-Ranietz-

Sean R. Beeson
05-20-2005, 11:19 AM
I left my PC offline for the longest time. When I finally connected to the net, I didn't notice huge performance issues, but I did get a virus or two (doing nothing but typical web browsing), and a ton of annoying errors. Now I have Mac! :D

The errors could have been from other things though too.

Sean

chocothrax
05-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah my music computer is also my online gaming computer/browsing sites computer. What kind of problems could be caused from having a music computer online?

Daryl
05-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Not likely; I have an office computer for that. Besides, if I was continually on-line I'd never get any work done ;>)

Daryl

Ranietz
05-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Yeah my music computer is also my online gaming computer/browsing sites computer. What kind of problems could be caused from having a music computer online?
Virus and stuff. I have a anti-virus program, so hopefully that won't be a problem.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid... :)

ToddK
05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
I have my music computer offline.

If i knew more about firewalls, and security, i might try it.

But for now, since i dont know what i'm opening myself up to,
i think i'll just stay off.

I run a program called AD Aware on my internet PC, and it finds
all sorts of stuff that has made its way into my box. :(

TK

chocothrax
05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
I never get any viruses and I d/l all kinds of weird stuff. Although the rest of my family who doesn't d/l anything seems to get lots of viruses... :)

loogoo
05-20-2005, 12:05 PM
I've had internet access on my music computer for years and have never had a problem. I find that with copy protection and anti-piracy systems built into software today, it's almost a requirement to have internet access on these machines.

awpmusic
05-20-2005, 12:10 PM
My music computers are not on the internet - nor do they need to be. I have a separate computer for that. It's not a problem authorising software on a separate computer. Anti virus software and firewalls can mess with the music computer - best keep a music computer for music - and nothing else.

Phantom
05-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Best to keep an audio workstation offline if working professionally

Just yesterday I re-installed my entire system again for the 3rd time and that's just this past week. All because I keep going online as I am very tempted to download stuff and check e-mail. But too many problems with system slowdown when spyware is found.

Spyware comes on your system - not from downloading specific files, but from downloading trial programs, which bring up advert pop-ups.

Now my machine is strictly for music.
I will soon be going online again but on a laptop. And its best to use a MAC to go online since you cannot get a virus on any MAC system. It's really impossible to occur. I have studied quite a bit on Network Security, and viruses always appear in .EXE format. This cannot be put on a MAC as all of you may know, a MAC will not run a virus if it can't read it :)

Simply put... Use an audio workstation offline and a cheap machine for Web browsing and downloading, so if anything goes wrong on that system, you would not need to worry about your music files getting messed up :)

Thanks

dpasdernick
05-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I tried for the longest time to keep my machine off-line. I heard that Norton will kill a DAW. I finally gave in to the temptation and it is now online. So far no problems, although I don't have tons of tracks all going at once with large sound libraries. I think if I made my living off of my music (one day!) I would take it off line and by a dedicated internet machine.

Darren

jphilpit
05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
I have one 3.2 GHz PC that is not online; I use it for writing music and doing graphics. And there there's an older 1.8 GHz PC that's online; I use it for everything else.

When everything was on one computer, I had lots of problems including blue screens and slowdowns when composing. :( Then I put my old computer back in service and removed all online services from the new PC. Now I have no more troubles. :p

I use LapLink to move files between the two. That way I can avoid any permanent network connectivity that could transmit a virus that made it past the firewall.

MakeANote
05-20-2005, 03:28 PM
I've heard all sorts of things about not having your music computer as an online machine, and I guess the performance issues are the main reasons from spyware, bots, cookies and, of course, viruses. If I could afford a second (or third...) machine and have the room to store it, I guess I would probably just have one dedicated internet machine and leave my music computer offline. As Awpmusic said, it's not that difficult to register from another computer.

That being the case, I run AVG as a virus scanner (because it's i) free, ii) picks up viruses effectively from email and other sites, iii) is easy to update, iv) is easy to shut down when you don't want it running in the background), the Windows XP SP2 Firewall, Adaware SE (because it's i) free and ii) is touted as being more effective than most purchased Ad finding / removing software) when I'm on the internet. I set up an address on Yahoo that fields any potential spam emails.

After I've finished on the net or am going to spend a session working on music, I'll run a quick Adaware check, shut down AVG and the Firewall. I've had no problems at all doing this and it really doesn't take more than 5 minutes total to perform.

I found a few sites useful:
www.MusicXP.net
This site has some tweaking ideas (I think I got the link from the old NS site before EastWest/Quantum Leap made the move). I have noticed some (not sigificant) performance increases from their suggestions.
www.sysinternals.com
This site had a program called autoruns.exe which showed you the list of programs that start up in Windows. You can choose which programs will run on start up without having to delete any of them (and it remembers the list through a saved text file).

Anyway, trust that helps.
Ian
P4 2.8
2Gb Ram
Cubase SX 2.2

Waywyn
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
might copy that!

best thing is to have your audio machine(s) offline no matter what. if i would transfer data i would just buy a 1 or 2 GB usb stick and transport the data like this after scanning the files for viruses.

but the main reason is, that it is not really dangerous to have the computers attached to the net, but the ram the virus programs and firewalls need.

in the moment i decided to have a websafe router, ... so everything is behind a hardware firewall and i have anti virus programs on every computer and slave, but NOT scanning. if scanning around 10 MBs are used, if not and have it scan ready manually it is around 1,5 MB ram usage.

i used antivir for the slaves and on my main inet pc i purchased an anti virus kit with norton and the kaspersky engine. even tho it doesn't matter if you have a firewall.

if you download something or open something on a browser it IS already on your pc.
i was kinda stupid and naive by thinking that the websafe router would keep all virus and trojans and so i didn't install anti virus programs on my main daw and the servers and suddenly i had about 5 trojans on each computer.

if you have a router make sure it has a firewall, plus get a software firewall or use the service pack 2 firewall, but make sure you have at least anti virus software on the computers to do a quick search every morning and evening.

however the viruses or trojans i had didn't cause much problems. some pcs were not shutting down properly or was a bit slow, but everything is solved after a quick scan with antivir which is free and really one of the best out there (companies always talk about that kaspersky is the best virus scanner, but if antivir software still finds trojans and viruses where kaspersky is not alarming - kinda weird) :)

PS: makeanote was posting at the same time. if you get a ad-scan software try spysweeper. i also tried adaware and spysweeper and i found that spysweeper was still sweeping while adaware was telling me that everything is okay ... if i am wrong please correct me.

MakeANote
05-20-2005, 03:45 PM
PS: makeanote was posting at the same time. if you get a ad-scan software try spysweeper. i also tried adaware and spysweeper and i found that spysweeper was still sweeping while adaware was telling me that everything is okay ... if i am wrong please correct me.

Thanks for that Waywyn. I haven't heard of Spysweeper (but then again, who fully knows the contents of the net?!), but I'll look it up. Another recommendation was 'SpyBot Search and Destroy' (sounds like a game, I know, but I used it along with AdAware to clean up an incidence of the AZE search toolbar on a friend's computer)

Ian :)

metrobot
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
wow, all this makes me glad I have a mac! I guess I'm too lazy to not register software from my DAW. That and downloading plugins or other software, and don't forget, uploading mp3s or whatever makes me wanna have my mac connected. I have a pc that's hooked up as well, so I could use the usb ram stick idea and move stuff around that way. But that still seems like a pain.

And the pc is primarily for gaming and office stuff.

scarr
05-20-2005, 04:45 PM
I've had my recording computer off of my network entirely until a few weeks ago. I can't deny that it kept it very safe, but it was also annoying at times. When you have a slew of software on your machine that gets updates/bug fixes/patches/etc., it can be annoying to download it all from one comp and transfer it to another. It got to the point where I'd really wait things out until I had a handful of product updates waiting and would update everything then.

Now that it's online, I get updates very quickly and frequently. If you can keep to surfing only sites that you need for product updates and such, you'll be fine. I would recommend using a different comp for "general" browsing and email though. You don't want to make your recording computer a "high risk" environment, but that doesn't mean you need to make it "no risk" if you are sensible about your browsing.

evaclear
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I put off going online for a while, but like most i need it online for the business end of my music.

I run an external firewall, plus BlackIce (software firewall) , plus XP firewall (which i would imagine does very little) and then i am using Nortons, Spybot and Adaware SE. and... yes, twice i've found a virus/intrusion on my PC. Was able to remove them without any damage caused.

I hate having my PC on line, but i have too. For me, I notice it hits hard on the ram, and that is the largest of my inconveniences.

(I've also found that Spybot has picked up stuff that Adaware hasn't).

josejherring
05-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I have two music computers. One of which is a PC connected to the internet.

No problems at all. To avoid viruses is simple. Just stay away from those naughty naughty sites. ;) Most viruses come from disreputable sites like software crack sites, p**n sites ect. If you stay away from those it reduces your virus infection to next to nothing. I've been virus free for months now on my pc.

Now back in the day when I was less reputable I got a lot of viruses. The only effective thing I found to fight it was to open up a dos shell. Find the latest funky looking executables and rename them. This is the only sure fire method of getting rid of infection for good!!

Too much antivirus stuff and firewall stuff I find just slows your system down way too much and is a hassle when trying to install new stuff. You know the deal,"Norton has dected a new file. Would you like us to scan the disk for viruses. Please hold." zzzzzzzzz

But, that being said I would never put my main computer on the internet unless I had only one computer. But, these days with all the copy protection stuff happening, not having your computer connected is a pain in the butt.

Cheers,

Jose

Daryl
05-20-2005, 11:50 PM
I certainly agree that no internet access on your machine can be a real pain, especially when it takes NI nine days (and counting) and still no registration key, therefore making RA totally useless when the 10 days grace period runs out (tomorrow).
However, most other companies are pretty good about registrations and I don't install new software that often, so the "pain" is minimal.

Daryl

KevinKauai
05-21-2005, 01:44 AM
I keep my primary music computer offline, but it is connected to an "intermediary" computer via an Ethernet cable and I use the intermediary computer as the "transfer station" for moving files to and from the msuic computer. In general, I think it's a risk to allow Internet access on a system that you really can't afford to go "out of service" (which, by Murphy's Law would always happen at the most inopportune time). I have a third "utility" computer which is fully connected via DSL which sends and receives files from/to the "intermediary" computer.

I am thankful that even the most robust registration software (to my experience, the rather excellent procedures of Native Instruments) has an easy way of accomplishing registration through the use of a floppy (or file) as an intermediary so that being online isn't required to being fully registered and "certified".

In general, "less is more": Less exposure, less clutter, and fewer potential damaging threats from "outside".

KevinKauai

Waywyn
05-21-2005, 02:31 AM
just a quick addition, and please correct if i might be wrong in between, but i would suggest using everything else than norton and if you use norton then just use the antivirus and not "works".

on a 1.8 ghz pc norton slowers your pc to around 30% and there are some update progresses you definitely search forever to turn off :) better try some antivir or kaspersky engines...

midislut
05-21-2005, 06:35 AM
i have learnt the hard way !!

used my main DAW also for the internet....Big mistake....got a bad virus and spyware slowed my daw down > was busy with a huge project > had to format hd and reinstall sx3 and reload all my sample libraries !!

anti virus programs slows down your machine and spyware protection cant stop them all

now i run

3 pc's > 1 for Cubase, 1 for Samples and 1 for internet for backup and trying out demos and testing new software etc etc

works like a charm.....also NO NETWORK CABLES > i transfer files by a gig stick...its safe this way and networking also slows down your comp

its more expensive this way...but i sleep at night now :D

Ranietz
05-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks for posting everyone. This has been very informative.

The thing is that my music computer is the only computer in the house that is mine, and I'm tired of asking other people if I can borrow their computer to download updates, upload mp3 files and stuff.

And one more thing; how do you update Windows if your computer is not connected to the internet? Or maybe it's not that important to update Windows?

-Ranietz-

midislut
05-21-2005, 10:44 AM
you can download like sp2 on your internet machine into a file say on your desktop...and then copy that file from the internet machine onto your Daw

this also worried me in the beginning...!

the other now and then updates i just ignore cause that is more for security updates firewalls etc...i dont care about those and just ignore them ;)

evaclear
05-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Any effective suggestions on running two intergrated/networked PCs and still being "safely" online?

ie: 1 PC has office/explorer & my sample libs & the other is my DAW with Cubase/Protools?

I'm not overly savy with the IT side of things so I would love some feedback on whether this is possible, and if so, how it can be done effectively.

Currently, doing it all on one and starting to feel it. Especially post EWQL Gold installation. :(

Haggis
05-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I run three PC's, one for my wife, one as an office/IP gateway type PC and one with as my DAW. I trigger samples off the office PC and also my wifes PC to the DAW and all three have internet connectivity but I really do notice that anything Network (not just internet) related begins to degrade performance including virus checking. If I want to really get the best out of the three machines I kill off all extra processes and disable internet connectivity.

Evaclear, if you are the same guy off the DUC, I'm in Melbourne as well so PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want to have a chat about it.

cheers,
Peter

evaclear
05-22-2005, 05:06 AM
I'm everywhere... and it feels wonderful.

Waywyn
05-22-2005, 05:26 AM
yay, i had that setup before that i was using my internet pc as a slave and it would now also be cool to have a third slave, but i am sick of getting mails or even have trillian active.

it all seems to lower the bandwith and network capacity, so i stopped that and really use slaves as slaves, nothing else, they are just there to stream samples and nothing else and it is worth having it. also it is worth to have a internet pc and you don't have to be aware of virus scanning, downloading stuff or installing new driver, writes invoices and process them to pdf etc.

i know that it is kind of a waste or power to not use a computer as a third slave, but i like to work without problems :)

evaclear
05-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I run three PC's, one for my wife, one as an office/IP gateway type PC and one with as my DAW. I trigger samples off the office PC and also my wifes PC to the DAW and all three have internet connectivity but I really do notice that anything Network (not just internet) related begins to degrade performance including virus checking. If I want to really get the best out of the three machines I kill off all extra processes and disable internet connectivity.

Evaclear, if you are the same guy off the DUC, I'm in Melbourne as well so PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want to have a chat about it.

cheers,
Peter

I think I have a solution. I might just buy a new DAW with plenty of juice and keep my current setup for office usage, keeping them seperate. Thanks Peter. With you and Theo, we're gaining numbers for a EWQLhang in Melbourne :)

Cheers

lukpcn
05-25-2005, 12:26 AM
One instance for net and one for composing...

DAW connected to the internet ? NEVER :cool:

Evan
05-25-2005, 01:00 AM
i do...but i hate it.... :(

MacQ
05-25-2005, 01:21 AM
Wow, this is impressive.

Don't be ashamed to have your DAW connected to the internet. I'm a working pro, and I've had my main machine connected 24 hours a day for 3 years. The only thing that's ever happened to it is the motherboard failed from poor manufacture.

I need instant communication with clients, and often this is via email or MSN. They send me files, I upload to an FTP server ... to do this with multiple machines would just be too time-consuming. The deadlines I have to work with are sometimes painfully tight, and there's no time to mess around with USB sticks or DVD-R's or whatever.

Does my machine suffer performance losses? Who knows? Who cares? It's all academic if you ask me. People say, "Oh, I have mine connected, but I hate it". No you don't. You love the convenience. And you can't be a "professional" with a DAW connected to the internet? Oh no!! Please don't tell the people who write my cheques! :rolleyes:

I choose safe-sex over abstinence any day of the week. And I'm not ashamed.

~MacQ

Evan
05-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I choose safe-sex over abstinence any day of the week. And I'm not ashamed.

~MacQ

ok ok ..I feel better now then!