PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT NOTICE TO MUSIC AND PRODUCTION LIBRARY COMPOSERS/PRODUCERS

Doug Rogers
05-21-2005, 12:13 PM
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO MUSIC AND PRODUCTION LIBRARY COMPOSERS/PRODUCERS
We have revised the terms of our "music and production library use" licensing agreement to both protect us and our producers from abusive re-licensing of our sounds, but also allow for the legitimate use of our loops in music libraries.

As a result, the terms of our license related to this use have been amended to the following -

(1) Loops must be used in a musical context with at least two other instruments that contribute significantly to the composition.

(2) The entire loop cannot be left exposed at any time in the composition.

(3) If you have any doubts a composition meets this criteria, you may submit it to EASTWEST licensing@eastwestsounds.com for written approval. Please do not send audio or MP3 files, send us a link to your composition on your web server.

These terms apply to most products sold at soundsonline.com. If you are in any doubt about a product you intend purchasing, please send an email to licensing@eastwestsounds.com.

This new policy applies to all East West and Quantum Leap Sample Libraries and Virtual Instruments. Multisampled instruments (such as EWQLSO, Symphonic Choirs, etc.) can be used in music and production libraries without these restrictions.

You still cannot produce a competitive product with any of our sounds included. That condition remains.

We know this will be very good news for many of you that purchased other products to produce music or production libraries when you would have preferred to use ours, and there's no excuse now not to pick up STORMDRUM in the GROUP BUY!

- Doug

MCS
05-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Does that mean, Im not allowed to accompany a scene in a film with a Stormdrum loop only, if there are no other noises for a short time?

Stephen Rees
05-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Great news!

Many thanks,

Stephen

josejherring
05-21-2005, 01:26 PM
That seems rather fair!

It's going to force composers to start composing again.

I like it.

The only bummer part is what if you want a 2 bar exposed drum solo?

If you slice the loop up and rearrange it does that count as "new" music under these terms?

Cheers,

Jose

Doug Rogers
05-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Does that mean, Im not allowed to accompany a scene in a film with a Stormdrum loop only, if there are no other noises for a short time?

A film is not a music or production library.

- Doug

MCS
05-21-2005, 01:51 PM
ah, I misunderstood this, thanks

Toxikator
05-21-2005, 02:04 PM
But if you were to do the same thing in a game of some kind, as I understand it, THAT would be forbidden?

Doug Rogers
05-21-2005, 02:46 PM
But if you were to do the same thing in a game of some kind, as I understand it, THAT would be forbidden?

This use of loops in isolation is covered in Section 8 of our "end user license agreement" at soundsonline.com.

- Doug

Doug Rogers
05-22-2005, 08:10 AM
I just checked your user license agreement, and I find only one version with no date.

Are you saying that you are retroactively changing your agreement?

If not, where are the versions, dated, available, that apply to purchasers past.

Are you saying the end user is bound by a user agreement that he/she did not actually agree to? Or are you saying only new purchasers are bound by the changes.

Again, can you please post dates to your changes (as the cc card companies do when they change their agreements).

Jack,

The only change we have made to our "end user licensing agreement" is a positive change for those composing for music and production libraries. They can now use our loops for the first time ever provided they meet the listed conditions. Unless you are in that composing group this change doesn't affect you.

Frankly, I expected a more positive response to this announcement. It took a lot of work on my part to convince our producers to change this.

- Doug

madbulk
05-22-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm of a mind that you should set any damn limits you want without being challenged or criticized. But moreover, these just seem like, "well... of course these would be the rules." "Don't use our loops naked in a library, which is a competing product." (quotes not intended to put words in your mouth, but mine.)

So how did it read previously? What is the change?

Stephen Rees
05-22-2005, 08:46 AM
EastWest loops weren't allowed in library music at all before. Not even embedded under 100 other instruments for example, although in practice you could contact EastWest on a case by case basis to see if they were happy with granting a specific license for each piece that used their loops, and which would end up in a production music library.

If you have anything to do with library music this IS a big deal. There was a thread where this was discussed in detail a couple of months ago on NS. Doug listened to the arguments put forward by users, and said he'd look into it and see if they could come up with a wording that would allow legitimate use in library music. This is exactly what he has done.

It brings the license agreement as far as production library music usage for EastWest pretty much in alignment with those of Spectrasonics and Zero-g, and is most definitely a good thing for users :)

Stephen

awpmusic
05-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Frankly, I expected a more positive response to this announcement. It took a lot of work on my part to convince our producers to change this.

- Doug

I, for one, think this is a very positive move. Thanks East West!

jc5
05-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Jack,

The only change we have made to our "end user licensing agreement" is a positive change for those composing for music and production libraries. They can now use our loops for the first time ever provided they meet the listed conditions. Unless you are in that composing group this change doesn't affect you.

- Doug

Good work Doug - I'm sure everyone is pleased with the change, people just want to be clear about the detals. :)

Patrick de Caumette
05-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Good news.

Thanks guys!

Daryl
05-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I agree that this anouncement makes things a lot clearer and is very welcome.

Daryl

zvenx
05-22-2005, 12:24 PM
ok dumb question:
what is a production library?
I know a music library is that you create songs and make them available for license by whoever is willing to pay the licensing fee and no one has exclusive rights and it is not tailor made for each project during composition.

Markus S
05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Thank you very much --- this is great news!

Craig Sharmat
05-22-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm going along with this is great news. thanks for taking the time to clean this up in such a fair way....way cool!

Dave Bourke
05-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Excellent news, Doug. Thank you so much. This opens up at least the possibility of another revenue stream (so we can afford to keep buying all these incredible packages you keep coming up with).

:-)

Kind regards.

Tower
05-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Great news, thanks!:)

Tow

Tower
05-22-2005, 01:44 PM
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO MUSIC AND PRODUCTION LIBRARY COMPOSERS/PRODUCERS

Multisampled instruments (such as EWQLSO, Symphonic Choirs, etc.) can be used in music and production libraries without these restrictions.

- Doug

So this is now true for VOTA as well? That would be really cool news...

Tow

bruceup
05-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Jack,

- Doug

Thanks Doug, a very positive step in the right direction.

Daryl
05-22-2005, 03:56 PM
So this is now true for VOTA as well? That would be really cool news...

Tow

I wouldn't hold your breath for that one. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Nick stated on the "other" forum that the restrictions were part of the deal when it was recorded so they wouldn't be able to change them in retrospect.

Daryl

Peter269
05-23-2005, 12:03 AM
VERY cool.

Synesthesia
05-23-2005, 05:49 AM
Hi Doug,

Its very good news indeed. Thanks for this one.

Best,

Paul

Tower
05-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Doug,

Can you please confirm that this statement is official and thus applies to VOTA as well?

"Multisampled instruments (such as EWQLSO, Symphonic Choirs, etc.) can be used in music and production libraries without these restrictions."

Thanks,

Tow

Gabe S.
05-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks East West!

This is a wonderful revision in your licensing agreement.

Cheers.
-gabe

LEX
05-24-2005, 08:51 AM
No worries Doug. There is always one to look at a negative in a positive.

Maybe he is looking for more clarification with older libraries.

Great to hear you're allowing this.
Keep up the great work.
The future can only get better. Can't wait for the Choirs and Pro Upgrade to show up.

LEX

ComposerNYC
05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Wow, it just keeps getting better! Thanks for the revised license agreement -- it's a huge step forward that opens up some great opportunities for a lot of us.

kerry