PDA

View Full Version : Stormdrum Question

Vissequ
05-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Hello,

I apologize for my newbie-ish question, but I wanted to be sure of this before I bought Stormdrum. I am new to the software synth scene, my first and only software synth is EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver (which I absolutely love). I understand that Stormdrum comes with spectacular loops, but does it also come with each individual percussion instrument as a sample so I can make my own loops with the sounds? (If you'll excuse my newbie language) Basically, can I use my MIDI controller to play the various percussion instruments individually and then combine them to make my own loops with the Stormdrum library?

One more question:

I have an iMac G5 with 1.8Ghz and 1024 MB RAM. It can handle around 10 SO (Symph Orchestra) instruments perfectly, and then after about 18 I have to start bouncing some of the MIDI tracks to audio. Will I still be able to run around 10 SO instruments and the Stormdrum loops without any problems?

Thank you very much and I apologize if this question as already been asked (I tried a search but found no previous posts).

Connor

neoTypic
05-21-2005, 09:39 PM
I can't offer advice on your Mac setup, but I can tell you that yes, StormDrum is broken into two sections: the first are multisampled hits on the different instruments, and the second loops. The first is on it's own Kompakt engine I believe (like your EWQLSO) and the second part in an Intakt engine (very much like Kompakt).

Vissequ
05-21-2005, 09:44 PM
I can't offer advice on your Mac setup, but I can tell you that yes, StormDrum is broken into two sections: the first are multisampled hits on the different instruments, and the second loops. The first is on it's own Kompakt engine I believe (like your EWQLSO) and the second part in an Intakt engine (very much like Kompakt).

Well that settles it. I'm buying Stormdrum, lol.
Thanks for your answer, and my wallet will remain empty. :)

neoTypic
05-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Sure thing bud, I'm reaching for my wallet to buy it too. :p

It just seems to be one of those must have products for big percussion and the fact that I can construct my own loops makes things even better. Nothing against looped percussion libraries, some of them are very excellent, but I like being able to do my own thing too. ;)

And I'm pretty sure after I hear the Symphonic Choirs demos I'll have to take out a second mortgage on my non-existent house. :D

Vissequ
05-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Sure thing bud, I'm reaching for my wallet to buy it too. :p

It just seems to be one of those must have products for big percussion and the fact that I can construct my own loops makes things even better. Nothing against looped percussion libraries, some of them are very excellent, but I like being able to do my own thing too. ;)

And I'm pretty sure after I hear the Symphonic Choirs demos I'll have to take out a second mortgage on my non-existent house. :D

I've been checking for Symphonic Choir demos every day! I have no prayer of affording that though until I can at least drive. :eek:

neoTypic
05-21-2005, 10:01 PM
*laughs* I feel your pain bud. If i do manage to buy it, I'll be eating ramen for weeks! :D

It's the blessing/curse of having access to high quality instruments. *grin* I still need to build a new computer just so I can really USE these sounds. :p

Drew Buchan
05-22-2005, 02:52 AM
The description given above is accurate, i.e. stormdrum has loops and individual sample hits.

But do be aware that the engine that playbacks the loops, is a PLAY-BACK only version of Intakt. You cannot use it to create new loops ... only to process / edit the existing loops (which you can of course save).

You would need another tool to create totally new loops from scratch, whether you're using the sample hits from Stormdrum, or indeed any other samples.

Sean R. Beeson
05-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Here is a demo I created using Stormdrum's percussion including the kits and other percussion. Notice though the middle section. I didn't use any loops in this piece, so even though it is all sequenced, there are enough velocity layers and flexibility to make passages that sound very authentic. The middle percussion section took me only 45 minutes to sequence. I have found that SD is programmed very very well too.

www.seanbeeson.com/trailsofblood.mp3

I hope this helps. The loops are great, but you can do some amazing things just with the single samples and single hits too.

Sean

Adambomb337
05-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Are all the samples in stormdrum bathed in reverb/room sounds? Anything completely dry?

btw, that is a very cool demo Sean R. Beeson!