PDA

View Full Version : Legato Idea

Janicek
03-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Just an idea for future updates:

I have not seen anyone do this yet with their Legatos. How about a Legato patch where the first note is a portamento? I frequently hear phrases where the first note is a slide up (guitarists also do this a lot in solos).

It would probably not involve any new recording as its probably scripting to make the first note silent rather than a sustain. I tried automating volume on the first note but as the sustain overlays the transition it did not totally work. Is this possible?

Annabelle
03-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Wouldn't that especially be true for strings and voices/choirs?

Casiquire
03-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Generally strings won't scoop upward so much that the pitchwheel would sound bad. I'd use the pitchwheel on a divisi patch so that they don't start off on the exact same note or so they don't go at the same speed as one another. I do agree though that "scoops" and "falls" would be a nice thing to have.

Janicek
03-14-2013, 03:53 AM
See I was thinking particularly with Strings, the transitions samples are already there and they are triggered dependent on which interval you play between the first note and the second.

There must be a way to disable the Sustain sample? Alternatively you could have a menu of transitions keyswitchable eg 2nd, 3rd, 4th and it sets what transition it is then when you play a note it slides up from the root.

JHMusic
03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
There's actually a bug you can use to do this--at least in HS. Using a powerful system legato patch, you can hold any note which is out of the instrument's range, tap the start key quickly enough so it doesn't produce a sound, then press the desired note. Since you're holding the silent key, the patch thinks it's in legato mode, so it plays the transition between the last played note and the new key. I think you'll be rather disappointed how it sounds, though, since the attack is instantaneous.

Casiquire
03-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Since the starting note is in-tune, using the transitions they've already recorded for HS would produce more like a pickup note than a real slide upward.

Khaled Hamdy
03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Start with a note while its expression is on 0, then go to the desired not and move your expression curve up vertically by the beginning of the next note.. It will give you this effect u want.

Just make sure to also keep your velocity of those first two notes to 0.. To ensure you're using the slowest portamento transition if your using it in any of the Hollywood series.

Janicek
03-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Yes I have tried exactly that and it does work, however its a very deliberate way to do it and its not something you can really try in real time. I did try it as an experiment, its quite hard though to get the sweep only with no prior note.