PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Leap Harps

Oliver.M
04-05-2013, 05:08 AM
This suggestion has already been posted before here at: http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=42769&highlight=harp
But I have to bring up again how useful and important it'd be to have a sound library dedicated to the concert harp and it's playing styles, and I'm sure many other users of PLAY who want to enhance their music when composing for harp will agree.

I'm aware that there is harp samples in Symphonic Orchestra, but what it is missing is the pedal positions on a concert harp and custom made glissandi.
It would be perfect to program in the 7 pedals of the harp (D C B / E F G A) with the three Natural, Flat, and Sharp positions of all the pedals.

For the glissandi you could have various samples already available of the harp glissandi (acting as templates to build upon) in their natural pedal positions (no sharps or flats) with different types of glissandi such as Up/Down or Down/Up etc.
Then you can program the pedals in from there and create your own glissandi via the PLAY interface.

So glissandi is the main thing that I'm sure many composer's would like to see, or having a '2 harps' patch or tremolo for the harp as mentioned in the previous thread, along with the dynamics of the harp glissandi (ppp to fff etc) programmed via the C11, etc. Most other necessary articulations for the harp are already within SO, but wouldn't hurt to have them in a seperate library too.
I see East West has released solo instruments such as Violin etc which is amazing, and having a library dedicated to harps will be very useful indeed.

Hope this idea will be put into consideration!

interpolate
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I would like to see an EWQL Surround Panner plug-in. Some templates for their own libraries and customizable for others.

Med8r
04-05-2013, 01:00 PM
I would like to see an EWQL Surround Panner plug-in. Some templates for their own libraries and customizable for others.

Great, but... what does that have to do with harps? If you start a new thread for your ideas, the staff will be more likely to see them and take them into consideration.

On topic, I like the idea of an individual harp library alot. They could even do something downloadable, as with the Solo Violin and Cello packs. Glissandos would be a definate focus, since that's often the harp's biggest role in orchestration. I wonder if the methods behind HS's playable runs could be used for some sort of "playable gliss" patch. It'd be an interesting idea to look into, anyway.

interpolate
04-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Sorry dude. I never knew the thread topic police was on tonight. You're right though.

Dmitry Noskov
04-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Absolutely agree with TS and waiting for the new harp. By the way I'm still using the old one from SO :)

Oliver.M
04-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Same here Dmitry :) SO has the best sampled harp I've came across so far (any other good harp libraries then please correct me) Room for improvement is very possible.
If EW take the time to produce a VI dedicated to the harp, I am sure many composers/customers of these products will be most happy.

lejmer
06-10-2013, 03:26 AM
I love the ideas you're bringing up here, Oliver. One minor addition though.

I'd love it to be fully compatible with the Hollywood series, in that they should record it with the same room configuration (they can control the natural reverb of their recording studio, and that should be configured the same as with HS, HB, HOW and HOP in my opinion), and they should include the same 5 mic positions. This to me is very very important. :)