PDA

View Full Version : best lap top for silver?

Pepe ortega
05-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Hello everybody, I play live with a choir, barroque, classical...orchestrated music most of time. I was very happy with roland keyboards and classical expansion series, now Im trying to use EWLSO silver while live playing. I usually need to swith from 2 or 3 channels for full string playing and adding in some times horns, winds, timpani and hapsichor/piano.
Fantom Xa let me swith on or off my channels on kompakt player, until this all is fine.
Im using for my test an Ibook G3 800 640 Ram and had made test with onboard disc and with external FW400@ 7200 rpm. but when I try to use one 4 midi channels (string layered with contrabass, trombones and timpani) I cant play a 6 notes chords. during my tests kompakt gones crazy, and I have to wait 30 seconds to hear new sounds.
Im using DFD and have tried any settings without improved performance.
I have severqal questions:
must be possible to run 5-6 instruments in a new g4 powerbook? or a new Pc laptop?
must I use RAM istead DFD? any experiences ?
How can I crate a full stirn CBs/celli/viola/violin patch.?
Must be a way to reassign key position/range for percussion?

Thanks.

bloombaber
05-22-2005, 09:54 PM
I've been running Silver on a Powerbook G4 1.25 MHz, with 2GB RAM and my library on a 7200 RPM FW800. In Pro Tools LE, I get 8 voices comfortably; in Digital Performer 4.12, more like 20 voices. From my limited knowledge, your iBook falls short in both the RAM and processor departments.

Pepe ortega
05-23-2005, 02:12 PM
bloombamber: are you talking about 8 poliphony voices or 8 instruments ? I think I can handle more than 20 voices but I need at least 64 voice poliphony, maybe 6 midi channels that can handle 6 voices each one at least.

Thanks

bloombaber
05-23-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm talking about instruments/MIDI channels. And they were mostly monophonic lines, except for piano and harp.

fvicente
05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi,

The "except for paino & harp" is an important point. Piano can easily chew up your polyphony, especially with the sustain pedal depressed. I'm running Gold these days on my Powerbook (Titanium G4 1 GHz PB with 1 GB of RAM) and can get more voices than 20, even with Gold. Silver will be easier since there are no release trails.

Pepe, I don't know realistically what you can get with the iBook but the 640 MB of RAM is definitely on the low side. Even 1 GB for my PBook is low but, for what you want to do with live playing, it should be sufficient. Don't know if the iBook is too slow however for running that many voices. Certainly, a Powerbook would give you a bump in performance.

HTH,
fvicente

Pepe ortega
05-24-2005, 09:14 PM
fvicente:
Are you running gold from internal HD?
If silver is 2 GB data, must I suposse than using 2 gig ram must be enough if I run without dfd to run entire library?
Nick or Doug? waht must be better try to run Silver direct from Ram or using DFD?

I thinking seriously upgrading to a new powerbook :) just need money :(

fvicente
05-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi Pepe,

No, I wouldn't ever run a streaming library from the internal HD. For one, it is slow and two, there is already enough heat generated from the PBook. If you had 2 GB of RAM, it wouldn't be enough to run the entire Silver library without DFD because the operating system also needs RAM.

I find that the biggest problem is CPU once you hit higher polyphony counts. The hard drive for the most part handles the number of voices and it is the cpu that tends to crap out before the HD does IME. I use an external firewire drive. I'm currently using a 400 GB drive and it is about 300 GB full at the moment (yes, I'm a sample slut! :D )

I'm not able to run an entire orchestra using Gold and my PBook. I have a PC that handles most of this task. The PBook is great in that I can freeze tracks in order to work remotely and then use the power of my PC to keep the interface snappy.

HTH,
fvicente