PDA

View Full Version : Hollwood extension library

tayloran9
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I would absolutely kill to have a library specifically to accompany the Hollywood series but as an extension library geared to all the significant articulations that are noticeably absent across the Hollywood range. So I am thinking of specifically things like:

- Sul ponticello sustains, staccatos and tremolo for all strings
- Harmonics for all strings incl. basses
- Harmonic glissandi for all strings (except basses perhaps)
- Flautando sustains and staccatos for all strings
- Minor & major 3rd trills for all strings (except basses) and relevant woodwinds; and trills up to 4th or even 5th for relevant strings. (The lack of trills higher than a major 2nd is the biggest let down of the Hollywood series for me).
- Ready made expressive patches for strings like in EWSO - I find it extremely difficult to achieve the beautiful effect of the expressive and lyrical patches in EWSO, not surprising I guess
- VERY molto vibrato sustains for strings (I mean REALLY vibrato, the vibrato in HS is nice but is not as molto vibrato as I was hoping)
- Different speed trills for strings, ie. slow trills and extremely fast trills
- Straight mutes for all horns (and for the solo trombone which for some reason didn't get a straight mute in HB!)
- Revisit the instruments in HOW that didn't receive much love i.e the contrabass and Eb clarinet, alto and bass flute (the attention given to these instruments is pretty dire really)

And to finish it off I would also love any Hollywood extension library to have some have extended techniques like:

- Bowing behind the bridge of strings (a la Penderecki)
- Very slow vibratos (like the sus wav in HB)
- Speed controllable long portamentos / glissandi / slides up or down for strings
- Very hard pressure bowing for strings for grating / scratching sound

and a wide selection of other sounds and fx for all instruments. HB brass is really nice for extra fx but sadly there are none for strings or woodwinds (well a strange 'sing' patch for flute which is out of place when the library doesn't offer any other fx sounds). EWQLSO had a nice selection of fx such as psycho fx for strings and string clusters and string rips. So sounds along those lines would be great!

And being part of the Hollywood collection, it would blend perfectly with the rest of the series.

I would pay handsomely for a Hollywood library extension of this kind. Please consider this EastWest.

C4L88
08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
- Different speed trills for strings, ie. slow trills and extremely fast trills

+1, however it would be nice if they were controllable speeds in the sense that you could use the modwheel and control speed realtime, so you could go from slow to fast in the middle of a line

-Lawson-
08-01-2013, 04:43 PM
+1, however it would be nice if they were controllable speeds in the sense that you could use the modwheel and control speed realtime, so you could go from slow to fast in the middle of a line

Oooh, that would be NICEEEEE.

JHMusic
08-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Speed controllable portamento requires scripting rather than true recorded portamento, I believe, and that's never really been EWQL's style. In any case, these would be amazing, but I think Nick said that he's done with orchestral libraries.