PDA

View Full Version : Extension of tuba range in HB

tayloran9
08-02-2013, 07:45 AM
The tuba range in HB is disappointing. In EWSO, the tuba goes down 3 extra notes to B0 and up 6 extra notes to E4! I doubt EastWest are going to record new notes but I could really do with the extra low notes, because now in my scores where my really low basses should be doubled by the tuba, they aren't! That was a really strange decision by EastWest I must say, I mean I'm sure they hired a pro to play it?

So is it possible for EastWest to use some top grade pitch shifting magic and give us those extra low notes?

In fact I seem to remember a while ago there was a thread about the disappointing HB tuba range and I think Nick or Doug said they'd possibly increase it is an update!!

nineloops
08-02-2013, 09:19 AM
So is it possible for EastWest to use some top grade pitch shifting magic and give us those extra low notes?

In the meantime, you can extend the range with a workaround.
Example:
Load the same patch twice and check that they are controlled by the same midi channel.
In the first patch, set the coarse tuning to -3 and transpose to 3,
Now it goes down to B0

Go to advanced properties and set the high key to E0.
This is to prevent the modified patch to play along with the other.

Now you have a tuba with extended lower range.
You can load another patch and extend the upper range in the same manner.

tayloran9
08-02-2013, 11:04 AM
In the meantime, you can extend the range with a workaround.
Example:
Load the same patch twice and check that they are controlled by the same midi channel.
In the first patch, set the coarse tuning to -3 and transpose to 3,
Now it goes down to B0

Go to advanced properties and set the high key to E0.
This is to prevent the modified patch to play along with the other.

Now you have a tuba with extended lower range.
You can load another patch and extend the upper range in the same manner.

Excellent thanks! That's a really big help!

*Edit* Ah just one slight issue though. By limiting the range of the 2nd tuba to E0, it wipes out the keyswitches which are in the top range...

...so I will probably go with having another track just for the pitch shifted tuba which is fine for a workaround, at least I can get those low notes!

nineloops
08-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Yes, unfortunately it works only for simple patches,
also the true legato ones have some issues with interval samples
for some notes.
:p

Dreamofthenight92
08-03-2013, 03:25 AM
In reality I found that many of EW instruments are "extended": i fact I never saw a trombone going to C1 like in HB, also the french horn goes upper then expected, and this apply for many other instruments (strings, choir...). They sampled extended ranges that usually aren't used in normal orchestration, also because are very difficult to do for real musicians. By the way the tuba seems to have the right exstension...

tayloran9
08-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Both the bass trombone and tenor trombone can go down to C1 due to the F trigger that extends it's range of pedal tones. The horn range in HB is the general orchestral range so nothing peculiar there. The tuba's general range is from D1 to F4. The HB tuba goes down to the D1 but only up to A3. The one in EWSO managed to some how go down even further to B1 which was great so was assuming the one in HB would too. I agree with you though, generally the Hollywood series is excellent for having sampled the full or close to full ranges of the instruments, something I'm really pleased about, means you are not limited in what you can do.

Med8r
08-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Both the bass trombone and tenor trombone can go down to C1 due to the F trigger that extends it's range of pedal tones. The horn range in HB is the general orchestral range so nothing peculiar there. The tuba's general range is from D1 to F4. The HB tuba goes down to the D1 but only up to A3. The one in EWSO managed to some how go down even further to B1 which was great so was assuming the one in HB would too. I agree with you though, generally the Hollywood series is excellent for having sampled the full or close to full ranges of the instruments, something I'm really pleased about, means you are not limited in what you can do.

The French Horns did go a tone or two higher than I expected them to, but I was really impressed by the trumpets' ranges. I wasn't even aware notes that high and piercing were possible (let alone feasible) for a trumpet, so hats off to the guys that provided those samples.

And, like you, I was also a tad bit surprised by the lack of top range for the tuba. Its deeper range suits me fine, but I've heard several orchestral recordings where the solo tuba goes higher than HB's (for example, "The White Tree" in Shore's Return of the King soundtrack). Maybe that guy was super talented to be able to get that high... but it didn't sound superbly difficult to an ear like mine.

C4L88
08-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Let me just say, having played french horn for 6 years, their range is incredible

Incredible as in, if you were to hand me a piece of music with some of the higher notes, I would of given you the middle finger and walked out :D

saschak
08-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Not a difficult task, if the higher notes are just transposed. The horns are not recorded up to G4. You can hear that, when you compare especially the sustains to some "lower" notes - they are the same samples. Common technique for samples and nothing wrong with that. That should also be applied to the Tuba. I think up to D3, there would be no problem with the transposition. If I remember correctly that "fake" Tuba range extension was already promised by EW shortly after the release hof Hollywood Brass, two years ago.