PDA

View Full Version : HS Strings - playable legato patches

Cinescores
08-20-2013, 02:04 AM
It takes so much time to make those work at the moment. There is WAY too much lag to just record something without any tweaking. And it's not possible to repeat notes with the legato patches, it just doesn't sound right, the attack is too slow for that.

arlansun
08-20-2013, 05:25 AM
I find myself mousing (not playing) most of the time. For repeated notes I've duplicated the track and then muted or deleted all but the second (repeated) notes on the duplicate track. It's a bit of effort, but the sonic results can be very good.

Med8r
08-20-2013, 06:51 AM
I don't find HS's legato patches very difficult to play. True, you have to play the next note a little ahead of time (sometimes a beat or two ahead), but you can't help that with true legato.

And if you use a sustain pedal, you can repeat notes. Legato patches will only play one note at any one time, even if you're holding down the sustain pedal. So for repeated notes, just hold the pedal down as you play the notes. You lose the gap in between notes, and it sounds decently convincing. You'd never be able to tell in an orchestral mix.

arlansun
08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't find HS's legato patches very difficult to play. True, you have to play the next note a little ahead of time (sometimes a beat or two ahead), but you can't help that with true legato.

And if you use a sustain pedal, you can repeat notes. Legato patches will only play one note at any one time, even if you're holding down the sustain pedal. So for repeated notes, just hold the pedal down as you play the notes. You lose the gap in between notes, and it sounds decently convincing. You'd never be able to tell in an orchestral mix.
thanks for the tip re the sustain pedal

Cinescores
08-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks from me too - using the sustain pedal solves at least one of my problems!

tayloran9
08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Legato patches will only play one note at any one time, even if you're holding down the sustain pedal. So for repeated notes, just hold the pedal down as you play the notes. You lose the gap in between notes, and it sounds decently convincing. You'd never be able to tell in an orchestral mix.

The main problem is that Hollywood Strings doesn't include legato repetition patches. Hollywood Brass does and they are quite decent, you can hear a re-tonging of the repeated notes. Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds also has them but they don't appear to work at all. They are pretty much useless in their current state, hopefully that will be resolved sooner rather than later.

For HS and HOW legato lines with repeated notes, I also use two separate tracks and alternate the legato melody between them, works ok as a workaround but shouldn't really have to do that. I've not tried the sustain pedal tip but doesn't that just produce a sustained sound, rather than a distinct but subtle re-attack of the repeated note?

As a side request, I would really like EastWest to make a legato slur runs patch for the HS Violas as well as there is only one for 1st and 2nd Violins and I think they are very good and useful patches. One for the cellos as well and I'll be a loyal customer for life!!!

Cinescores
08-22-2013, 12:52 AM
I've not tried the sustain pedal tip but doesn't that just produce a sustained sound, rather than a distinct but subtle re-attack of the repeated note?

Try it. It produces exactly what you are looking for. Of course this is not a sampled re-attack but it sounds decent enough to me.

jspencer
08-23-2013, 07:04 AM
That's why they are legato patches, they are meant for legato-type parts. There are a zillion other articulations designed for repetitive playing.

tayloran9
08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
That's why they are legato patches, they are meant for legato-type parts. There are a zillion other articulations designed for repetitive playing.

Legato phrases often have repeated notes or the same note that ends and begins a new legato phrase in a very quick tempo, which are connected, i.e played without taking the bow off the string, it's a lot more subtle than a simple new note attack which wouldn't have the connected effect. If you have HB, you'll see what I mean as they work very well. In HS and HOW if you play a legato phrase and the end note is the same as the next note of a new legato phrase, you'll run into issues, in HB you'll be mostly fine.
Cheers.

jspencer
08-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Gotcha. Cubase 7 has expression mapping which is a great way to take care of issues like this.