PDA

View Full Version : Pianos/pianos gold stereo width

Emmanuel
08-25-2013, 07:08 AM
I've noticed that for the Pianos library the stereo width is not actually creating a stereo field image where if you are playing the bass notes of the piano they would be heard on the left side, and the high notes on the right side, unless you are using swap stereo, but in fact it is creating a echo/delay effect where the same piano parts is played delayed in the opposite channel. This particularity is very annoying as when you want to use a true stereo widening technic you now have to create two midi/instrument channels where you have to separate your notes manually.

It would be much better if the stereo width actually worked as a stereo widener than a delay/echo factory machine. This would be much closer to how we record pianos in the studio and much more useful than what it is being offered right now.

demodigi
08-27-2013, 04:36 AM
I've noticed that for the Pianos library the stereo width is not actually creating a stereo field image where if you are playing the bass notes of the piano they would be heard on the left side, and the high notes on the right side, unless you are using swap stereo, but in fact it is creating a echo/delay effect where the same piano parts is played delayed in the opposite channel. This particularity is very annoying as when you want to use a true stereo widening technic you now have to create two midi/instrument channels where you have to separate your notes manually.

It would be much better if the stereo width actually worked as a stereo widener than a delay/echo factory machine. This would be much closer to how we record pianos in the studio and much more useful than what it is being offered right now.I think EW/QL uses the same stereo "widener" processing for all its Play instruments. And this one doesn't really suit Piano needs. Personally, I think Piano are wide enough and sometimes I would prefer narrow stereo image.

1/ So having a mono -> wide stereo setting would be better (especially with the platinum version where we need to have all mic positions in phase and apply the same stereo widener).

2/ A phase shifter (for each mic position) would also help.

We still have the choice to not use the Play "widener".
- We can use an external widener plugin (ie : MS processing, like Waves S1, Flux stereo tools, etc..). But I don't like this kind of DSP neither.
- Personally, I can manage mono/stereo stuff with my hosts (Pro Tools can handle 2 pans for a stereo tracks and VEP has a great super/pan feature to narrow stereo).
- Play4 can now manage multiple output so, I can now arrange phase shift with additionnal plugins (I couldn't do it with previous versions of Play).

Emmanuel
08-27-2013, 05:15 AM
I think EW/QL uses the same stereo "widener" processing for all its Play instruments. And this one doesn't really suit Piano needs. Personally, I think Piano are wide enough and sometimes I would prefer narrow stereo image.

1/ So having a mono -> wide stereo setting would be better (especially with the platinum version where we need to have all mic positions in phase and apply the same stereo widener).

2/ A phase shifter (for each mic position) would also help.

We still have the choice to not use the Play "widener".
- We can use an external widener plugin (ie : MS processing, like Waves S1, Flux stereo tools, etc..). But I don't like this kind of DSP neither.
- Personally, I can manage mono/stereo stuff with my hosts (Pro Tools can handle 2 pans for a stereo tracks and VEP has a great super/pan feature to narrow stereo).
- Play4 can now manage multiple output so, I can now arrange phase shift with additionnal plugins (I couldn't do it with previous versions of Play).

strange I was doing multiple output with play 3 in pro tools just last week ;)

demodigi
08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
strange I was doing multiple output with play 3 in pro tools just last week ;)Sorry, I didn't explained it right. Of course, Play 3 is multi out (and all versions of Play)

I meant, with QL Piano (Platinum), you have 3 mic positions but with Play 3 and less, you had to mix those mic positions inside Play.

With Play4, you can now route each mic position toward individual pairs of outputs and mix them inside your Host.

Emmanuel
08-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Sorry, I didn't explained it right. Of course, Play 3 is multi out (and all versions of Play)

I meant, with QL Piano (Platinum), you have 3 mic positions but with Play 3 and less, you had to mix those mic positions inside Play.

With Play4, you can now route each mic position toward individual pairs of outputs and mix them inside your Host.

that's what I've always been doing, each mic fader was routed to a different output in play 3 to different input in pro tools and then i was stemming down the pieces.

demodigi
08-28-2013, 05:17 PM
that's what I've always been doing, each mic fader was routed to a different output in play 3 to different input in pro tools and then i was stemming down the pieces.Really ? With QL Pianos ? (I am not talking about EWQLSO Platinum Steinway B piano).

Here (still have Play3 on PC) I have only 1 routing for the master but not for each mic positions. Except if I load 3 times the same Piano (1 for each mic position) and route each master to 3 differents outputs. But, in this case, samples won't be in phase.

Emmanuel
08-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Really ? With QL Pianos ? (I am not talking about EWQLSO Platinum Steinway B piano).

Here (still have Play3 on PC) I have only 1 routing for the master but not for each mic positions. Except if I load 3 times the same Piano (1 for each mic position) and route each master to 3 differents outputs. But, in this case, samples won't be in phase.

I don't have play 3 installed anymore, but if I remember right (and I guess I could be wrong) you should have under the mute buttons of each mic faders the routing options like you had in the SO I know I did use it with SO for sure.

demodigi
08-29-2013, 06:05 AM
I don't have play 3 installed anymore, but if I remember right (and I guess I could be wrong) you should have under the mute buttons of each mic faders the routing options like you had in the SO I know I did use it with SO for sure.No, there is no routing options under the mute buttons. And yes, in SO interface there are routing options under the mute buttons (but I cannot use them as I own only SO Gold).

The main view of QL Piano in Play3 and Play4 is the same, so it is easy to compare. In Play4, the routing is done in the (new) mixer view (not the main view)...

Emmanuel
08-29-2013, 06:50 AM
The main view of QL Piano in Play3 and Play4 is the same, so it is easy to compare. In Play4, the routing is done in the (new) mixer view (not the main view)...

Yeah that's something I haven't had a chance to test yet as my current clients are not requiring vi's ... yet :)