PDA

View Full Version : Triple function Key Switches

Fredy
09-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Just an idea on how to speed up workflows whilst using the Master keySwitch Patches. Would probably work better as an option you can turn on and off. This will serve as a quick mouse-less way of loading articulations and very quickly.

The idea is to have three forms of Key Switches.

Starting from a Key Switch Patch with basic Legato Loaded and all other articulations not loaded.

1) Single press Key Switch - This will function as normal, it will switch to the articulation when the articulation has been loaded.

2) Double press Key Switch - This will load the articulation into Play, but will not switch to it. This means if you like to play and improvise live, you can do a pre emptive load of an articulation that you want to use whilst still playing.

3) Double press and hold - This will load the articulation and then switch to it the moment it has loaded. By continuing to hold the Key Switch on the second press the patch will load, but play will not switch to it until you release it.

I personally like to improvise and record live (and am currently working on a system that can be controlled via Multiple iPads, three keyboards and Midi Harmonisation software which will allow the player or players to control an entire orchestra live). This feature would speed up work flow, and I think speed it up for others as well.

Let me know what you think?

Cheers

Fredy

HardyP
09-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I like the idea very much, seems to be straight forward and very imaginable!!

Fredy
09-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Hey :)

Glad you think so, and it's not just me. I think it would just allow for seriously cool on the fly, easy workflows and articulation management.

Open a template with every Master Keyswitch for each instrument (which wont be large because everything will start un loaded) and then straight into it, no messing around with having to enter into each Play instance and chooses the articulations you want. Just select the track the instrument section you want to start with and band you are away.

Fredy

trumpoz
09-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I really don't see the point in this - why would you start with a KS patch but have nothing except a legato patch loaded when you just load up a complete master KS patch and everything is there?

Fredy
09-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Fair comment, but for a start, if you have an entire orchestra loaded with every section a Master Keyswitch patch, then you very quickly run out RAM. Not everyone can afford to get machines with 64 gigs. And for those that have a piano track and maybe Hollywood series and perhaps some effects, reverbs etc it gets crackly VERY quickly.

Number two, how is my idea ANY different from people that go through and set up track after track after track with each articulation they need, spending sometimes ages sorting it all out and setting the channels and setting up the volume and mic positions for each? This way, you have 1 template for every instrument you like to use, and then instead of spending ages opening up each track, you can just double press a key on the keyboard? Because its all under one channel and one instance per section. You also don't have to mess around with volume, eq, mics etc for each individual articulation. It's already done.

Yes if you think about it, an ideal is to have a Keyswitch master patch with everything loaded from the start and bam you are away, but that is VERY resource hungry and let's face it most people who do this probably UNLOAD the articulations they aren't using after they are done anyway. This is just much quicker.

Thanks

Fredy