PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Solo Strrings

chuckgreenjr
09-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Even though the solo strings in SO are pretty good, I would like to see a Solo String Library (Vln. 1, Vln. 2, Vla, Vc. and Cb.) developed that would completely match the Hollywood Strings Library completed with mic positions and articulations. As a minimum, I would like to see the same articulations that are included in the HS library and MOST IMPORTANTLY, articulations controlled the same way as the ensembles are. Additional solo playing styles would be an added bonus.

Same hall, same mixing team, etc. Love the quality.

Please consider......:)

Jose7822
09-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Plus 100 to that!

Med8r
09-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Even though the solo strings in SO are pretty good, I would like to see a Solo String Library (Vln. 1, Vln. 2, Vla, Vc. and Cb.) developed that would completely match the Hollywood Strings Library completed with mic positions and articulations. As a minimum, I would like to see the same articulations that are included in the HS library and MOST IMPORTANTLY, articulations controlled the same way as the ensembles are. Additional solo playing styles would be an added bonus.

Same hall, same mixing team, etc. Love the quality.

Please consider......:)

This would be great, and it's something EW really should have considered more seriously. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen, and Solo Violin and Solo Cello (in the works) make that clear. It's a bit of a shame, since I felt Solo Violin was a huge let-down... and actually a step back from Gypsy's violin, which is better in almost all cases.

So because of Solo Violin and Cello, doing any sort of Hollywood Solo Strings library would be redundant... especially since the violin and cello would be the two most-used instruments.

It would, however, be nice and practical if they went back and improved on Solo Violin with much-needed instrument and sample updates.

Casiquire
09-26-2013, 02:23 PM
I was a little bit let down by the Solo Violin as well. There are a few similar sounding legatos, some portamentos that sound an awful lot like the legatos, no dynamic crossfade legatos, no larger slide between notes, etc. I think the demand for a full suite of solo strings from EW is still very strong because the Solo Violin is great for one particular sound but EWQL hasn't yet released a full all-purpose solo string set. What I'm really hoping for is that the cello is going to be that all-purpose instrument we're all looking for and that it will be the start of a collection of solo strings, unrelated to the Solo Violin.

jspencer
09-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I'd be all over that!! Good suggestion.

mriley
09-27-2013, 08:43 AM
I do a lot of string quartet writing for clients and they want to hear mockups of how it will sound when we record the real players. I use Gypsy Violin and SO solo strings for that but I find them pretty lacking. I've found Gypsy Violin to be the best for realism. I have Solo Violin but have not found a use for it yet. I would LOVE a solo strings library that would allow the same level of control as HS. I would imagine a library like this would be more more difficult to create and program though. A solo violin is a very sensitive sound much more so than that of a violin section. Solo string patches with the ability to cross fade smoothly through multiple layers of vibrato and dynamics would be difficult to create.

oleJoergensen
09-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Great!!

Med8r
09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
A solo violin is a very sensitive sound much more so than that of a violin section. Solo string patches with the ability to cross fade smoothly through multiple layers of vibrato and dynamics would be difficult to create.

That's a good point, and I haven't yet heard a solo violin VI, made by any company, that can truly mimic the sound of a real solo violinist convincingly, as we've seen with other instruments (like Hollywood Brass).

What I'm really hoping for is that the cello is going to be that all-purpose instrument we're all looking for

+1, big time. It would be a real shame if Solo Cello isn't head-and-shoulders above Violin. I have faith, though, that if it can be done, Nick Phoenix and EW will do it. :)

lachlan mcleod
09-28-2013, 05:41 PM
+1 for a solo HS library so that we can use a genuine string quartet.

-Lawson-
09-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Having a Solo Strings (Vln1, Vln2, Vla, Vlc, and maybe DB) product from EW would be nice, but there IS already a product out there that does exactly that.

chuckgreenjr
09-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Having a Solo Strings (Vln1, Vln2, Vla, Vlc, and maybe DB) product from EW would be nice, but there IS already a product out there that does exactly that.

But in my opinion, it doesn't come close to the Hollywood sound quality that EW has accomplished with it Hollywood Series of instruments. The one's I've heard and own have a more classical sound/feel to them. Also, it says something to have the programming control, player interface, levels, common hall and mic positions consistent from instrument to instrument when one is composing/arranging a piece. The Hollywood Series for the most part has accomplished that. Adding solo strings that sound and respond the same way would be a big bonus and a money maker for EW.

chuckgreenjr
09-30-2013, 06:32 AM
This would be great, and it's something EW really should have considered more seriously. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen, and Solo Violin and Solo Cello (in the works) make that clear..

Coming from 35 years in the systems world, it's never too late to re-think the approach and make adjustments if the end product will be improved and better received by the consumer base.

Med8r
09-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Coming from 35 years in the systems world, it's never too late to re-think the approach and make adjustments if the end product will be improved and better received by the consumer base.

I absolutely agree. I'm just not so sure EW sees it that way. Or at least, that's not what their choices in product development communicate. After all, if they thought Hollywood Solo Strings was a good idea, they wouldn't be spending their time and money recording Solo Cello now.

flickerflix
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Not necessarily. It depends on whether the solo cello is much better than the solo violin was. I can see that EW is having to balance a number of issues - reasonable cost and reasonable size for example. Unless they were willing to hold off and release all of the solo instruments at once, where they could use an HDD, they are going to be limited by reasonable size to what they offer as download only.

JHMusic
10-02-2013, 11:23 PM
I said this in the last thread about this, and I'll say it again. EW, I will throw money at you if you make high-quality, intuitively playable solo string instruments in the same configuration as the Hollywood series.

hittjett
10-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Is there an anticipated date for the release of the solo cello? I thought they said this year, but I never see any mention of it. And as for that mention of the existing solo library by another company, save your money; it's a dog.

pkm
10-22-2013, 10:41 PM
2013 releases to celebrate EW's 25th anniversary:

Stormdrum 3 Featuring Mickey Hart
Prodrummer Mark "Spike" Stent / Steve Sidelnyk
Prodrummer Joe Chicarelli / Matt Chamberlain
Steven Wilson Ghostwriter
Forbidden Planet
Solo Cello Featuring Tina Guo
Hollywood Orchestral Percussion
25th Anniversary Collection

Okay, most of these are probably going to be celebrating their 26 or 27th anniversary!

hittjett
10-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I, too, hope that EW brings something substantial to the table. Like others, I was very disappointed in the EW Solo Violin, and I have high hopes for the Cello. I haven't personally found anything that I would consider "brilliant" out there, but I am pretty unhappy with what I have. At present, I mostly just use the solo instruments in EWSO.

C4L88
10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
I mean, you can kind of fake it with HS using the Divisi A patches so long as the orchestration around it can sort of "cover up" a bit, but obviously a truly dedicated library is optimal.

High hopes for Solo Cello here; one of my absolute favorite sounds

Fortunately I have a friend who plays amazing violin so I guess if I need a solo violin I can go beg and grovel at his feet :p

HardyP
10-31-2013, 05:46 AM
I, too, hope that EW brings something substantial to the table. Like others, I was very disappointed in the EW Solo Violin, and I have high hopes for the Cello.
Disappointed, too. And before bringing our new stuff, they should work on existing products (at least create a sufficient manual). Means my hopes for the Solo Cello remain low and I will not touch it, before they show something better. Especially since another dev will release their Cello these days, who have proven that they are able to produce an outstanding solo lib...

oleJoergensen
10-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Especially since another dev will release their Cello these days, who have proven that they are able to produce an outstanding solo lib...

Which one is that, if I may ask? Im in great need for the best solo string library now :-)