PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Japanese Instruments

WyvernWulf
09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Unsure if this has come up, but I thought I'd inquire anyway. :) Any chance we will see something like Ra or Silk honoring the traditional instruments of Japan? I would adore to see something like this to accompany the already amazing collection of world instrument offerings from EW/QL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Japanese_musical_instruments

C4L88
09-27-2013, 08:00 PM
+1, even if it were to be just a Shakuhachi :p

Annabelle
09-30-2013, 09:24 AM
+1, even if it were to be just a Shakuhachi :p
I think RA already has a shakuhachi and a koto. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think taiko drums are also Japanese?

C4L88
09-30-2013, 10:27 AM
I think RA already has a shakuhachi and a koto. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think taiko drums are also Japanese?

Yeah, they do, but I feel now they would have an opportunity to really detail them. For instance, you can compare the erhu in RA versus the one in Silk and...well its like SO versus Hollywood series. Both a great, but...;)

Med8r
09-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah, they do, but I feel now they would have an opportunity to really detail them. For instance, you can compare the erhu in RA versus the one in Silk and...well its like SO versus Hollywood series. Both a great, but...;)

Exactly. Ra was before the days of true legato and deep sampling, and the company has brought their sounds to a whole new level in the years since its release. And as it is, the Japanese instruments were not the best in RA's arsenal, and didn't get as good of a treatment as some of the other instruments.

Despite the fact that we definately don't need more sampled taikos ;), better-sampled melodic Japanese instruments would be awesome. A new, SILK-esque library of that kind would instantly be on my must-have list.