PDA

View Full Version : First Silver/Stormdrum Composition

jralbert
05-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi All,
I'm a recent beginner in composition, and brand new to EWQLSO Silver and Stormdrum (which I'm enjoying immensely.) I've just finished my first piece using the two, and I'd love to get some advice and constructive criticism from this forum. The work I've heard here is tremendously inspiring in its range and quality, so I hope I can learn a lot from everyone's critiques.

Samsara (http://web.uvic.ca/~jralbert/samsara.mp3)

Thanks to all who listen, and to any who advise!

MKS
05-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Sounds great! The mix is perfect. Can't wait to hear more.

jralbert
05-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi mks, glad to hear you liked it; that mix took forever to finish!

Anybody else, suggestions? I'd really appreciate any advice on improving the compositional elements of the piece.

Andrew Sigler
05-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi,

I think you've done a great job on your first piece. A few comments...

1. Perhaps too many cymbal rolls?. As I write this, I've heard 357864 of them. Well, maybe not that many, but quite a few. Think of different ways to provide that emphasis.

2. The transition to the section with the ride cymbal comes from nowhere and alters what was previously a nicely flowing arrangement. Maybe a more subtle transition?

3.One thing you don't suffer from is too many ideas, and I mean that as a compliment, so I hope it's taken as such. You do a nice job of sticking to one theme and using it a great deal, but perhaps changing it to instruments other than 'cello (?) and flute might add variety without just doing new stuff for the sake of being new. One of the problems with many demos on EW is that they are all over the place. Though their purpose is to show off the software, they are not necessarily the best templates for composition. I think that many of the demo compsers would agree.

keep on truckin'

-andy

ToddK
05-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Sounds great!

I agree, you could maybe find other ways to cresendo besides that cymbal
swell.
There are so many of them, you start expecting them.

Nice work overall though. Plenty of ideas that for sure. :)
TK

jralbert
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice!

ToddK, every single person who has heard the piece has said "enough with the bloody cymbal swells already!", so that's probably a hint well taken.

siguitar: I really appreciate your well-phrased comments. To respond to number 2, the flow-breaking thing was sorta the idea; I wanted to break away from the underlying feel of the earlier sections, but reintegrate the theme, which is that recurring solo violin line. Good idea, bad idea, or does it just need a better transition? Segueing into number three, would you recommend shuffling the theme to other instruments? I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not, because I wanted the theme to be the only element that didn't change, but nothing's set in stone.

I'm really concerned about adding more instrumentation, for fear that it'll overwhelm the piece. Is that a valid concern, or should I just let it all go and experiment wildly?

Thanks to you both for taking the time help me learn this new craft.

Cheers,
Jeff