PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or

Moonchilde
05-25-2005, 01:47 PM
does anyone else get frustrated that some samplers like Kontakt 2 cost $500?? Do you ever wonder how much less expensive it would be if they didn't include 7 gigs of VSL (why would I want VSL when I have EWQLSO?? :mad: ) and a bunch of others that probably drives the price up? Is it not profitable to release a bare bones sampler, ie. just K2 alone without the extras as a seperate package for those who already have libraries but wish to purchase just a sampler?

Maybe the guys at EW can shed some light on this.

dkcycovery
05-25-2005, 01:49 PM
that's my principal reason for not having upgraded yet...

Andrew
05-25-2005, 02:12 PM
NI knew you already had EW and included 7gigs of VSL just to piss you off.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

Moonchilde
05-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I like that logic!

If you can't add to the discussion, don't join it. Simple. ;)

Andrew
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Damnit Moonchilde, that winky messed me all up...hehe

Here we go, though...If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Simple. ;)

Ok, and now for a contribution...

Have you checked out VSampler? Only problem with it is that you can't import embedded kontakt, or kompakt player samples. :( But, no other sampler can either...So, what alternative is there for EW users?

I can think of a few, but they're all socially unacceptable.

Moonchilde
05-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I just wonder if there would be ANY price difference at all if they scrapped about 10 gigs worth of sounds from Kontakt 2. I personally think it would be a great idea, to sell one with sounds and one without, at seperate prices, for those who have a set of samples to use already and would find the extra samples (which probably do drive the price up) useless to them. Other companies do similar things, like Cakewalk with the Home Studio / Sonar line up and even our very own East West with different versions of Symphonic Orchestra. And its obvious, they do sell.

VSampler is ok, I used to toy around with the demo and what not, but it doesn't have DFD, you can't take advantage of DFD type applications, and it doesn't import Kontakt instruments that use Monolith sample tanks, or even Kontakt instruments in general, I don't remember! For what it does, though, its price is good. You can load up gigasamples without having a GSIF compatible soundcard.

Much to the dismay of Gigasampler owners, I think Kontakt, especially with version 2, is going to replace it in the near future. It plays a multitude of sampler formats, has DFD, now supports bank loading, patch changing, and impulse response that Gigasampler used to do. Plus, many of the new libraries coming out are spruced up to use Native Instruments, rather than Gigasampler. Especially since Gigasampler CAN'T import other sampler formats. Its just another edge that Kontakt has now a days.

Good stuff though.

dcoscina
05-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Kontakt 2 has some great features that come with it and I guess N.I. bundled it with 15 gigs of sounds so the average user who doesn't own EWQLSO can get started composing once they bring the product home rather than having to buy expensive 3rd party libraries. I think it's a good idea personally.

I have EWQLSO Silver and Gold but I upgraded to Kontakt 2 (for under $200 Canadian) because I wanted to get those legato instruments that are endemic to VSL. Give a listen to the legato Horn section or legato solo flute and I dare you not to be blown away. also, VSL has gotten hip to the fact that release samples are it these days and have included release sample patches for most if not all of the orchestral sections. The x-fade string sections also have a tremendous amount of realism when using a mod wheel. I think the VSL sounds are a perfect addition to my EWQLSO library- I don't have a celesta with Gold or Silver so that, and the legato patches, are a fine complement. :)

Andrew
05-25-2005, 04:20 PM
VSampler does have a DFD feature. It is in one of the more recent updates. It also has a cool "Ram Optimisation" feature where it unloads unused samples.

Yeah, it doesn't load Kontakt instruments, which makes it useless to me. Bummer, too, since it is one of the last bastions of sane copy protection. I probably shouldn't say that about CP, lest I get jumped.

Anyway, as far as the libraries being included with the samplers, it may be that the library developers are paying to have their samples included, as a marketing tool for the libs, with the sample software, or maybe NI is including them as an incentive, or maybe just so they aren't "outdone" by Tascam.

The bottom line is, people are willing to pay $500 for Kontakt and GS, so that is what NI and Tascam will charge. If they thought they could get away with it, they would charge more. It's like Neumann, who recently doubled their prices. They did it because they could. Same thing with Gibson when they doubled theirs.

PaulJGreblick
05-25-2005, 04:37 PM
As far as sample formats, you might want to check out Extreme Sample Converter. A really cheap way to convert just about anything to anything. Google it - I forgot the developer's web site...

Miguelo Adorno
05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
And as you are an owner of EWQLSO, the upgrade price for K2 is something like $339. Still not very cheap, but cool that they give this option.

- M

Waywyn
05-25-2005, 05:21 PM
don't want to sound rude, but if you say you are not going to upgrade to K2 because of some VSL samples or so, you don't know what you are talking about.

Maybe you don't like VSL - fine, your thing

.. but i personally see K2 and it's script editor and lot of other features as a future product. It is just mindblasting what you can do with that software.

If i were a sample developer (i am not talking about someone in special but in general) i would try to get as fast as i can on the K2 script editor possibilities and do some blasting legato, staccato or whatever-stuff :)

Evan
05-25-2005, 05:24 PM
i would buy it with the VSL samples...if i could afford it!

LHall
05-25-2005, 05:31 PM
It was just a couple of years ago that I had to pay like 2K for a Kurzweil K-2000 and then a ton more money for a whopping 128 of meg of ram. A few years before that, pros were shelling out 20K for Fairlights that dont' do a tenth of what Kontakt does.

You guys are complaining about $500 samplers?

:confused: :rolleyes:

Neilfactory
05-25-2005, 05:52 PM
does anyone else get frustrated that some samplers like Kontakt 2 cost $500??
I don't think that.For capacity, sound, possibity...I bouth AKAI sampler 4 years ago for 1200 Euros, alone!I must bouth CDS, ram...
And if you have EWQLSO, it's 339 Euros (339 dollars?) not 500.

Neil.

Moonchilde
05-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, I know hardware is much more expensive and back in the day people paid more for hardware (which makes sense, since it has higher cost of manufacturing) I'm just saying, how does the included samples work and wouldn't it be "nice" if they made a cheaper streamlined barebones version. I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd drop down the cash who already have their Kompakt Virtual Instrument libraries and don't need the extra stuff.

And yes, I already know about the upgrade price, which isn't bad at all. Its just that, its possible I'd be paying for 7 gigs of VSL stuff that I don't need, and in that case, it would be a waste of my money.

dcoscina
05-25-2005, 09:06 PM
And yes, I already know about the upgrade price, which isn't bad at all. Its just that, its possible I'd be paying for 7 gigs of VSL stuff that I don't need, and in that case, it would be a waste of my money.

It's 15 gigs of sounds. VSL makes up 7 gigs but there are 8 gigs worth of other material.

mhuang
05-26-2005, 02:59 PM
As far as sample formats, you might want to check out Extreme Sample Converter. A really cheap way to convert just about anything to anything. Google it - I forgot the developer's web site...

http://www.extranslator.com/

Briguy
05-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Being a Kontakt 1 owner, the upgrade seems pretty fair. Candaian Dollars I beleive it's 179 or something. My take on this is I personally dont care what they include in it for samples. I have no problem paying for something that will get used quite offen. The question is, are we paying for stability or sounds. My point is, as long as stability is in the mind if the developer, it's a winner. ;)

Hardy Heern
05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't have thought that the inclusion of a fragment of the huge VSL library would have added much to the price of Kontakt, at all, as it almost just an advert for VSL, as far as I can see. A 'ProSample like' taster of the full libraries.

If it added, even, $30 I'd be very surprised. A mutually advantageous deal like this helps NI appear to offer more value and in exchange VSL get the advertising and exposure. Everyone's happy!

EuroFrank
Qui ou Non?