PDA

View Full Version : Colossus Ethnic Section.

studiom
05-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I see that Colossus touches the very basics of Ethnic Instruments, however I find that most of those instruments are ones that I am interested in and and think it will be sufficient.

I would like to know if Colossus owners find these Ethnic Flutes, Shakahachi, Pipes playable as far as Legato?

I am leaning towards RARE, but I would like a multitude of other sounds at my arsenal too, and dont think I will be using all the Ethnic Instruments in RARE for a while as I am not familiar with them. Colossus Ethnic will be sufficient for me as long as I know that it also has different keyswitches or Legato or is playable. I know that Colossus only covers a hair of what Rare does, but the Ethnics that come with Colossus, can anyone give me a rundown on what it covers as far as playbility and performance?

Id appreciate your input Colossus owners.

Dave

synergy543
05-26-2005, 02:36 AM
Although there are many ethnic instruments in Colossus, they don't have the wide range of articulations that you'll find in RA.

Do you want a piece of candy? Or do you want the candy store?

studiom
05-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Although there are many ethnic instruments in Colossus, they don't have the wide range of articulations that you'll find in RA.

Do you want a piece of candy? Or do you want the candy store?

Thanks for the reply. I dont think I need the whole candy store, I just really wanted to know about the sounds that come with Colossus in the Ethnic section how playable it is and if it has some legato. I dont see myself using all the insruments in RA.

I also want more meat and potatoes sounds, but the Ethic is a big reason why I wish to know how it sounds and how playable it is.

Could I do convincing solo pieces with these Ethnic Instruments in Colossus? What are your experiences thus far with the Ethic section in Colossus?

Dave

synergy543
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Could I do convincing solo pieces with these Ethnic Instruments in Colossus? What are your experiences thus far with the Ethic section in Colossus?

DaveYou get a quite a good selection of ethnic instruments but not a selection of articulations as you do with RA. The Colossus instruments are fairly simple and straight forward but with some work you could simulate some additional articulations such as pitch bend on attacks and note slides. RA gives many additional articulations and sound variations such as string scrapes or attack variations that you don't get in Colossus.

The quality level of all the samples are excellent so its more a matter of how many articulation variations you need.

Download the pdf manuals from www.soundsonline.com and compare the articulation lists. I think this will answer your question best.

studiom
05-26-2005, 03:53 PM
You get a quite a good selection of ethnic instruments but not a selection of articulations as you do with RA. The Colossus instruments are fairly simple and straight forward but with some work you could simulate some additional articulations such as pitch bend on attacks and note slides. RA gives many additional articulations and sound variations such as string scrapes or attack variations that you don't get in Colossus.

The quality level of all the samples are excellent so its more a matter of how many articulation variations you need.

Download the pdf manuals from www.soundsonline.com and compare the articulation lists. I think this will answer your question best.
Thanks

Those who have Colossus, what is your overall impressions on this product? Anyone care to give a review or are there reviews I can look at online?

Dave